Hongwanji Mission School
- With an emphasis on a challenging academic curriculum and a personalized learning environment, the Hongwanji Mission School (HMS) focuses on developing students into confident, compassionate and well-rounded citizens.
- HMS, serves grades Preschool-8 with an educational pathway committed to a student-centered learning philosophy to ensure the development of the whole child through active and creative learning that incorporates Art, Drama, Music, Physical Education and Technology Literacy.
- Offering an average class size of 18:1, the WASC/HAIS accredited school takes pride in stimulating, age-appropriate classes taught by dedicated and knowledgeable teachers. Working families appreciate HMS' full-day program at its convenient, centrally located campus in lower Nuuanu.
- For its youngest students, preschool is an inclusive all-day educational program.
- Parents of K-8 students also have available all-day educational programs to keep their children engaged and safe. Technology Literacy is integrated into classroom instruction as a tool integral to learning as well as to prepare students for the 21st century workplace.
- Study tours culminate most grade levels. Some are short overnight stays; Zoo, Aquarium, Bishop Museum and other are extended; Grade 4 (Big Island), Grade 5 (East Coast) and Grade 8 (Japan).
- These study tours maximize learning and fun while they broaden students' horizons in history, culture and the natural environment.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
Hawaii Association of Independent Schools (HAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-8|
|Total Students||366 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 62%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||32 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||11:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||18 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual
(attire must be appropriate for school)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$10,700|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$1,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Mrs. Teddi Yagi|
|Total Sports Offered||9 sports|
|Sports||Archery, Ballet, Basketball, Cross Country, Martial Arts, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, VolleyballArchery, Ballet,
Basketball, Cross Country,
Martial Arts, Swimming,
Tennis, Track and Field,
- School Location Miles Grades Students
HonoluluGrades: K-12 | 1887 students
563 Kamoku St
Honolulu, HI 96826
HonoluluGrades: KG-6 | 83 students
1708 Nuuanu Ave Ste 1
Honolulu, HI 96817
HonoluluGrades: K-12 | 1094 students
420 Wyllie Street
Honolulu, HI 96817
HonoluluGrades: K-5 | 24 students
872 Mission Ln
Honolulu, HI 96813
Pearl CityGrades: PK-6 | 290 students
1840 Komo Mai Drive
Pearl City, HI 96782
After a disappointing 3rd grade at Waialae PCS (new hire, no previous teaching experience) we put our son in 4th grade at HMS. He had been attending summer school since 1st grade at HMS. The integration of pc use and google apps to reinforce their daily classes helped our son to improve reading, vocabulary, math and science skills. He loves the school and so do we. After school provides many challenging learning experiences such as Japanese and coding.
- Posted by Parent - Mark J
My three children attended HMS preschool and thrived. My middle child is back attending HMS middle school. He did not thrive under the DOE system. He is doing much better at HMS with the small class size and individual attention he is receiving. HMS has been instrumental in helping build he academic confidence and he has become a much happier child in general.
- Posted by Parent - yoshi
My daughter is in upper elementary and has attended this school since Preschool. She is growing up to be a very confident, happy individual as HMS has provided her with a warm, caring environment where she is encouraged to develop all aspects of herself; academic, social, physical, emotional. She loves the resource classes the most -- Drama, Japanese Language, Music, PE, Art, as it provides a balanced school experience for her. Teacher:Student ratio is low, which allows individual attention. Very warm, caring staff.
- Posted by Parent - shelb