- Top Ranked HI School
- Grades: Kindergarten-12
- Enrollment: 1,999 students
- Yearly Tuition: $25,325
- Average class size: 16 students
- Application Deadline: Dec. 1
- Source: Verified school update
Iolani School ranks among the top 20% of private schools in Hawaii for:
Academics and Faculty
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
clubs, Esports Club, Key Club, Student Newspaper
Arts and Music Programs:
Recreational Athletic Programs:
- The culture of `Iolani is rooted in the ethos of One Team, which embodies humility, service over self, empathy, mutual respect, and working together for a common cause. This philosophy began in the school`s athletic program but over the decades has become part of all aspects of school life. There are approximately 2,028 students currently enrolled. This fall 2019, the school welcomed 72 returning and new boarding students who reside in the new dormitory on campus. There are 192 full-time faculty with a 10:1 student teacher ratio. The average class size is 16, and students enjoy a 10:1 average student-teacher ratio school-wide. There are 357 total full-time employees.
- The school`s mission is to develop liberally educated, well-rounded individuals who are well prepared for higher education and for responsible moral citizenship. The school is located on a 25-acre campus in Honolulu, minutes from Diamond Head and Waikiki Beach. The school`s flagship building is the Sullivan Center for Innovation and Leadership, which is a 40,000-square-foot facility housing fabrication and design workspaces, robotics, flexible project spaces, a wet lab, multimedia design students, student publications, the library and archives, and a rooftop garden. In addition, St. Alban`s Chapel is one of the school`s oldest buildings and serves as a place of worship. Several classroom buildings, an art building, a field house, labs, counseling offices, tennis courts, an Olympic size swimming pool, two gymnasiums, dance and athletic rooms, a football field and soccer field, and track are among the school`s well-maintained facilities.
- This year, the school opened its new K-1 Community with nearly 200 kindergartners and first graders enjoying natural playgrounds and wide, open classrooms with spaces to learn and move. Focused on the first years of primary education, the K-1 Community incorporates a unique blend of natural and man-made features stimulating creativity, imagination and curiosity. The classrooms were inspired by the idea of hale (houses) to be places that nurture, grow and provide a life-giving environment for students. Each classroom is designed with movable furniture which can be rearranged to accommodate interactive and collaborative activities and dynamic groupings for different styles of student learning.
- The expansion of `Iolani`s K-1 Community increases the number of spaces for kindergarten from 72 students to 96, in doing so providing more local students the opportunity to attend `Iolani School. The school is currently constructing a new Lower School Science and Innovation Center as well as a Dance and Music Studio schedule for completion by summer 2020.
- `Iolani School is a caring and thriving place where alumni and parents serve as important and valued members of the community. Many give back to the school as volunteers. `Iolani also offers a growing K-12 summer program, which is open to students throughout the community and from around the world.
- A Residential Summer program is also offered so that students may reside on campus while attending summer courses and experience life in a dormitory with Residential Assistants, House Parents, and Heads of House.
- A few of `Iolani`s notable alumni include: Apple Evangelist and Author Guy Kawasaki `72, Screenwriters and producers Aaron and Jordan Kandell `02, Hokulea navigator Jenna Ishiii `02, Japanese pop star Angela Aki `96. Def Tech music star Shen Brown `99, Former Honolulu Mayor Mufi Hannemann `72, Toronto Raptors General Manager Bobby Webster `02.
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Dr. Sun Yat-sen (1882) - Chinese philosopher, physician, politician, served as first president of the Republic of China
- Guy Kawasaki '72 - Venture Capitalist, Author, Former Chief Evangelist of Apple
- Angela Aki '96 - Singer/Songwriter
- Bobby Webster '02 - General Manager for the Toronto Raptors
- Kawika Shoji '06 - Team USA Olympic Volleyball Medalist
- Shenan Brown '99 - Lead vocalist of pop band 'Def Tech"
- Aaron Kandell '01 - Screenwriter and producer
- Jordan Kandell '01 - Screenwriter and producer
Endorse Iolani School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards