5.00 (4 reviews)
Tel: (641) 472-9400
Maharishi School Photo #2 - Every day students are given 70 minutes to work on a passion project. They problem-solve, experiment, falter and keep striving. Maharishi School has offered over 50 projects in recent years. Each project is either designed by a teacher or proposed by the student at the conception stage and addresses an authentic, engaging and complex question, problem, or challenge.
Maharishi School Photo #3 - To transcend, by definition, means to go beyond human limitations and to break boundaries. At Maharishi School, we teach you a technique to break internal boundaries, to sink deep into yourself and to tap into your essence.Students start and end their academic day with yoga and the practice of Transcendental Meditation. It's an effortless way to manage stress!
Maharishi School Photo #4 - Our boarding programs welcomes 9th-12th graders. Living at Maharishi School, whether in the dorms or with host families, creates lifetime bonds. Because we believe that the world is our family, we take seriously our role as their extended family in the United States. Maharishi School is more than just academia or a place to sleep, it's a community.
Maharishi School Photo #5 - Maharishi School offers competitive and non-competitive sports for students of all different levels of physical ability to stay active and begin their journey of a lifetime of physical activity. We believe fitness is crucial for having a well-balanced, integrated life. Our recreation center offers a variety of fitness options: weightlifting, badminton, pickleball, intramural basketball, intramural soccer, gymnastics, indoor track, and tennis. And if you prefer, we can arrange for in-town options such as swimming or cross-fit.
Maharishi School Photo #6 - Three brick buildings form the main classroom complex of Maharishi School which overlook a central garden and 4100 square foot organic greenhouse. The school has two libraries, three computer labs, three art rooms, a fully equipped digital and conventional photography lab, two music rooms, and a spacious auditorium. Athletic facilities include a Basketball gym, outdoor tennis courts, & Recreation Center.
- Maharishi School, located in Fairfield, Iowa, offers a rigorous college preparatory curriculum accompanied by programs to develop a student's consciousness.
- The mission of Maharishi School is to create an innovative Consciousness-Based educational environment where students think deeply and become creative, compassionate, contributing citizens of the world.
Maharishi School places among the top 20% of private schools in Iowa for:
- Category Attribute
- Acceptance Rate Lowest average acceptance rates
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Independent Schools Association of the Central States (ISACS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Total Students||165 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 14%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||23 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|Number of AP Courses||8 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Calculus A-B, AP Calculus B-C, AP Physics, AP US History, AP US Literature and Composition, AP World Literature and Composition|
|Average SAT score||1202|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(pleated skirts, khaki or blue pants, white shirts, golf shirts)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$19,500|
|Tuition Notes||See school website for tuition information: https://maharishischool.org/admissions/tuition-financial-aid/|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$15,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Springli Johnson|
|Total Sports Offered||7 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Golf, Soccer, Tennis, Track and Field, VolleyballBasketball, Cross Country,|
Tennis, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||9 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Boy Scouts, Destination ImagiNation, Environmental Club, Girl Scouts, Interact Club (Rotary International), International Club, Student Council
Arts and Music Programs:
Improv Comedy Club, Speech Club
- Maharishi School is known worldwide as the preeminent private school that prepares students for college and systematically expands their consciousness. All students start and end the academic day with yoga and meditation.
- Boarding School: 9th through 12th grade. Day program for Preschool through 12th grade.
- The Transcendental Meditation program is a simple, natural, effortless technique practiced worldwide by people of all religions and cultures. It provides a deep level of rest while the mind remains alert, and the brain becomes more orderly and coherent. The benefits for students include reduction of stress and anxiety, increased intelligence, and enhanced creativity. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-wDdXdZyyQ
- 96% of graduates are admitted to respected colleges and universities, including Harvard, MIT, Stanford, and Johns Hopkins.
- Accredited by Independent Schools Association of the Central States (ISACS). The Iowa Department of Education has accredited grades K-6 and has awarded grades 7-12 college preparatory status in recognition of the high percentage of graduates accepted at four-year colleges and universities.
- Classes consistently score in the top percentile on national standardized tests.
- National Merit Scholars: Out of 690 Maharishi School graduates, 33 students achieved Commended Scholar status, 44 students achieved National Merit Semifinalist status, 43 achieved Finalist status, and 19 achieved Scholar status.
- Nature Explore Classroom (playground) for preschool through 2nd grade certified by the Arbor Day Foundation provides hands-on nature experience
- Sustainable living component with on-site greenhouse and special seed-to-table kitchen. Only organic food is served in the dining hall, complete with a salad bar.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Ottumwa Grades: PK-12 | 108 students
458 N Court St
Ottumwa, IA 52501
(641) 683-9119 23.1 PK-12
- Alton Grades: PK-6 | 54 students
908 6th Ave
Alton, IA 51003
(712) 756-4532 248.5 PK-6
- Ankeny Grades: PK-12 | 368 students
1604 West 1st St
Ankeny, IA 50023
(515) 965-8114 99.1 PK-12
- Atkins Grades: PK-8 | 185 students
310 3rd Street W
Atkins, IA 52206
(319) 223-5271 67.4 PK-8
My daughter really loves her school. I, however, have experienced issues. I have a mental illness and I am not treated nicely. I have been kicked off the property indefinitely. Michelle Swenson squeezed my arms and tried to push me out of the school when I tried to drop off my daughter's things. She lied to the police to make me look like the bully or criminal. My daughter has told me in February that her arms have been squeezed as well she didn't say Who. Last year I have kicked off the property when my ex was in contempt of court and I tried to retrieve my daughter. I was kicked off for saying I was raped in front of the old director. There were no children in sight or earshot. We were outside. I have not had 50/50 custody since that day and now I have no custody....Sweep it under the rug...... they have never asked for my side if the story or truth about her father and me. She will not be criminally dealt with but God /Spiritually that's another story. From a heartbroken, innocent, abused Mother.
- Posted by Parent - Guilty Until Proven Innocent
All of my children are enrolled at the Maharishi School. We moved from the East Coast in search of a school that would instill more than just an education in our kids. We have seen remarkable growth and they are happy here. We love the caring administration and teachers in the lower, middle, and upper school. Highly recommend!
- Posted by Parent - Mom of 2
Maharishi School gave me more than an education, it gave me tools to help live a balanced life, and a community of people who I still interact with 15 years after graduating. The consciousness-based education approach exposed me to information and tools (meditation, yoga, values, ways of looking at the world) that I regularly turn to and I feel helps me make sense of the world, enjoy life, and reach my goals. The network and community have played pivotal roles in my life from lifelong friendships to career advancement. The mentors and teachers at the school are incredible. They care about each individual student and look for ways to support their individual interest, be that theater arts, visual arts, math, student government, unique student lead initiatives (End School Violence Now), cultural exchanges, sports, etc.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Sarah
I went to Maharishi school from K-12th grade and it helped me become the adult I am today. It provided meditation every day, small classes, caring teachers and a class filled with friends. Maharishi School encouraged my creative thinking and passions.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Rosie
If you live outside the United States, choosing an American private school can be a confusing process. Here is an overview of the process.
Many people thought vouchers would never amount to much. Not only have they amounted to a great deal more than anybody could have thought, but vouchers have encouraged several more education choices to flourish.
Now that school has safely reopened, what can we parents do to support and encourage the schools we care about so much?