- Maharishi School, located in Fairfield, Iowa, offers a rigorous college preparatory curriculum accompanied by programs to develop a student's consciousness.
- The mission of Maharishi School is to create an innovative Consciousness-Based educational environment where students think deeply and become creative, compassionate, contributing citizens of the world.
Maharishi School places among the top 20% of private schools in Iowa for:
- Category Attribute
- Affordability Least expensive tuition
- Acceptance Rate Lowest average acceptance rates
- Diversity Highest percentage of students of color
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
- Extracurriculars Most extracurriculars offered
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Independent Schools Association of the Central States
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Total Students||197 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 13%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||23 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||9:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|Number of AP Courses||6 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Calculus A-B, AP Calculus B-C, AP Physics, AP US History, AP US Literature and Composition, AP World Literature and Composition,|
|Average SAT score||1230|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(pleated skirts, khaki or blue pants, white shirts, golf shirts)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$19,500|
|Tuition Notes||See school website for tuition information: https://maharishischool.org/admissions/tuition-financial-aid/|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$13,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Springli Johnson|
|Total Sports Offered||7 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Golf, Soccer, Tennis, Track and Field, VolleyballBasketball, Cross Country,|
Tennis, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||9 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Boy Scouts, Destination ImagiNation, Environmental Club, Girl Scouts, Interact Club (Rotary International), International Club, Student Council
Arts and Music Programs:
Improv Comedy Club, Speech Clu
- Maharishi School is known worldwide as the preeminent private school that prepares students for college and systematically expands their consciousness. All students start and end the academic day with yoga and meditation.
- Boarding School: 9th through 12th grade. Day program for Preschool through 12th grade.
- The Transcendental Meditation program is a simple, natural, effortless technique practiced worldwide by people of all religions and cultures. It provides a deep level of rest while the mind remains alert, and the brain becomes more orderly and coherent. The benefits for students include reduction of stress and anxiety, increased intelligence, and enhanced creativity. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-wDdXdZyyQ
- 96% of graduates are admitted to respected colleges and universities, including Harvard, MIT, Stanford, and Johns Hopkins.
- Accredited by Independent Schools Association of the Central States (ISACS). The Iowa Department of Education has accredited grades K-6 and has awarded grades 7-12 college preparatory status in recognition of the high percentage of graduates accepted at four-year colleges and universities.
- Classes consistently score in the top percentile on national standardized tests.
- National Merit Scholars: Out of 690 Maharishi School graduates, 33 students achieved Commended Scholar status, 44 students achieved National Merit Semifinalist status, 43 achieved Finalist status, and 19 achieved Scholar status.
- Nature Explore Classroom (playground) for preschool through 2nd grade certified by the Arbor Day Foundation provides hands-on nature experience
- Sustainable living component with on-site greenhouse and special seed-to-table kitchen. Only organic food is served in the dining hall, complete with a salad bar.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Ottumwa Grades: PK-12 | 134 students
458 N Court St
Ottumwa, IA 52501
(641)683-9119 23.1 PK-12
- Alton Grades: PK-6 | 63 students
908 6th Ave
Alton, IA 51003
(712)756-4532 248.5 PK-6
- Ankeny Grades: PK-12 | 350 students
1604 West 1st St
Ankeny, IA 50023
(515)965-8114 99.1 PK-12
- Atkins Grades: PK-8 | 185 students
310 3rd Street W
Atkins, IA 52206
(319)223-5271 67.4 PK-8
All of my children are enrolled at the Maharishi School. We moved from the East Coast in search of a school that would instill more than just an education in our kids. We have seen remarkable growth and they are happy here. We love the caring administration and teachers in the lower, middle, and upper school. Highly recommend!
- Posted by Parent - Mom of 2
Maharishi School gave me more than an education, it gave me tools to help live a balanced life, and a community of people who I still interact with 15 years after graduating. The consciousness-based education approach exposed me to information and tools (meditation, yoga, values, ways of looking at the world) that I regularly turn to and I feel helps me make sense of the world, enjoy life, and reach my goals. The network and community have played pivotal roles in my life from lifelong friendships to career advancement. The mentors and teachers at the school are incredible. They care about each individual student and look for ways to support their individual interest, be that theater arts, visual arts, math, student government, unique student lead initiatives (End School Violence Now), cultural exchanges, sports, etc.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Sarah
I went to Maharishi school from K-12th grade and it helped me become the adult I am today. It provided meditation every day, small classes, caring teachers and a class filled with friends. Maharishi School encouraged my creative thinking and passions.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Rosie