Sonia Shankman Orthogenic School
- The Orthogenic School is a coeducational residential treatment program for children and adolescents in need of support for behavioral or emotional issues.
- It provides young people, ages five to twenty, with a therapeutic and educational environment that recognizes their strengths and needs, while challenging them to grow by achieving important developmental and behavioral outcomes.
- Our mission is to provide the highest quality individual care, treatment, and education to troubled children and youth, and their families while serving as an internationally recognized model for research, training, and professional practice.
|School Type||Special Education School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Private Special Education Centers|
Other school association(s)
|Grades Offered||Grades 4-12|
|Total Students||72 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 31%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||16 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||9 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Admissions Director||Kristin Friesen, LCSW|
|Admissions Associate||Norman Ostrum|
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- ChicagoGrades: 1-8 | 56 students
6254 S. Ellis
Chicago, IL 60637
- Blue IslandGrades: PK-12 | 16 students
1962 Broadway St
Blue Island, IL 60406
- ChicagoGrades: 2-9 | 30 students
1912 W 103rd St
Chicago, IL 60643
- ChicagoGrades: NS-12 | 1771 students
1362 E 59th Street
Chicago, IL 60637
- ChicagoGrades: 1-12 | 94 students
3145 W Pratt Blvd
Chicago, IL 60645
October 19, 2017
Choosing the right school for your child is a major project. We look a five reasons why you might be looking at the wrong schools.
October 18, 2017
The Seattle area is home to many fine private schools as well as to major companies such as Microsoft, Boeing and Starbucks.
September 30, 2017
Scandals in private school are bound to raise questions for those of us thinking about sending our children to private school. Regardless of how sensational these scandals may appear, they are actually few and far between.