St. Francis Of Assisi School
St. Francis of Assisi School, K-8, is a unique and special place of learning providing a religiously founded education that is essential in our community.
We are located in the mountains of Northern New Mexico, 5 miles from Colorado and 3 miles from the Jicarilla Apache Nation, Dulce.
Our average enrollment has been 80 students. Our school was founded in 1919 by the Franciscan Order to serve the local Jicarilla Apache and Hispanic communities.
Over the years, the school's leadership has changed hands from the local Catholic parish to parents and community members.
The school now remains private and independent, but with a continued direct relationship to the nearby St. Francis and St. Anthony's Mission Churches.
Our mission is to provide each student a quality education that will prepare them for a fruitful life in partnership with their home, parish, and community.
We do this by offering sound academic and spiritual instruction.
Quick Stats (2023)
- Top Ranked NM School
- Grades: Kindergarten-8
- Enrollment: 78 students
- Acceptance rate: 100%
- Average class size: 7 students
- Application Deadline: None / Rolling
- Source: Verified school update
St. Francis Of Assisi School ranks among the top 20% of private schools in New Mexico for:
School Membership(s)School Assoc.
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 50%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
% Faculty w/Advanced Degree
Average Class Size
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
None / Rolling
National avg.: 85%
Total Sports Offered
Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.
- We continue the Catholic tradition with our spiritual and academic goals. We have weekly Mass and Rosary with the students. We remember our traditions with the May crowning, the Feast of St. Francis, and children's Christmas pageant. Academically, there is a great infusion of culture; a focus on reading, writing, and math; over 70 computers and a balance of enrichment activities for student success. Our sports program promotes health and well-being. Our teaching staff is made up entirely of volunteers. The teaching mission involves not only preparation for in class tasks, but also requires a significant community involvement and school operations component. Our volunteers do not need to have education degrees but must have a BS/BA degree. Volunteers must submit for a NM teaching internship license upon arrival. If you stay beyond one year, you must enter a teacher certification program and take the NM teacher assessments/test. Volunteers are provided community housing; breakfast and lunch on school days; a monthly $300 stipend; medical, dental, and life insurance; and we have worked with AmeriCorps providing the $4,700 Education Awards. The service commitment is 1 August to 31 May.
Source: Verified school update
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the acceptance rate of St. Francis Of Assisi School?
The acceptance rate of St. Francis Of Assisi School is 100%, which is higher than the national average of 87%.
What sports does St. Francis Of Assisi School offer?
St. Francis Of Assisi School offers 2 interscholastic sports: Basketball and Paddle Tennis.
What is St. Francis Of Assisi School's ranking?
St. Francis Of Assisi School ranks among the top 20% of private schools in New Mexico for: Highest percentage of students of color and Oldest founding date.
When is the application deadline for St. Francis Of Assisi School?
The application deadline for St. Francis Of Assisi School is rolling (applications are reviewed as they are received year-round).
Endorse St. Francis Of Assisi School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
Children With Learning Differences: How To Proceed
Facing the reality that your child has learning differences is never easy. But with a diagnosis from a qualified professional, and skilled experienced teachers who know how to remediate those differences, your child can learn to handle her differences. More here.
Enrichment Resources For Children Ages 10-14
I asked ChatGPT to list apps, YouTube Channels, and podcasts suitable for enriching the studies of students ages 10-14. (We'll look at resources for younger and older students in another article.)
February 13, 2023Designing Assignments In The ChatGPT Era
AI (Artificial Intelligence), specifically ChatGPT, poses some serious challenges for teachers. We explore the importance of teaching students how to attribute the work and ideas of others.