St. John Lutheran School
St. John Lutheran School Photo #2 - A 5th-grade student begins St. John's home volleyball tournament with prayer.
St. John Lutheran School Photo #4 - Older students help to sit with the childcare during chapel services.
St. John Lutheran School Photo #5 - St. John's Junior Praise Team, composed of 7th & 8th-grade students, leads chapel music.
St. John School exists to "Connect people in the heat of Jesus." We strive to prepare our students academically, socially, physically, mentally, but most importantly spiritually for the world around them.
We begin our day with an all-school prayer. Students are then greeted over the speaker and recite a Bible verse of the week together. Classes engage in daily prayer, religion lessons, scripture memory recitations, and devotions. Chapel services are held once a week.
Our congregation subsidizes nearly 80% of the cost to educate regardless of the students' church affiliation.
St. John excels in academics boasting of 3-years running with a school-average MAPs test score at or above the 90th percentile nationally.
Our students have the opportunity to engage in the athletic arena in the areas of football, volleyball, wrestling, cross country, basketball, and track & field.
On-site childcare is available from 6:30a.m. to 6:00p.m. via In His Arms Childcare.
- Top Ranked NE School
- Grades: Prekindergarten-8
- Students: 161 students
- Yearly Tuition: $1,300
- Acceptance rate: 99%
- Average class size: 14 students
- Application Deadline: None / Rolling
- St. John Lutheran Elementary expansion project - 06/17/2020News Channel Nebraska Coverage of St. John's 2020 Expansion Project:
"We`re seeing the growth, and it`s been sustained," said St. John Lutheran Elementary School Principal Nicholas Onnen. "It`s not just a one-year thing, it`s been something that`s been ongoing for the last 8 years or so, and so we`ve had to accommodate."
- St. John’s begins $1.2M expansion to keep up with student enrollment - 06/15/2020BATTLE CREEK - Just three years after completing its last remodel, St. John`s Lutheran School is back at it again to accommodate its ever-growing student enrollment. The Battle Creek school had to convert a computer lab and the principal`s office into a classroom this year because it ran out of room.
- School has history of changing with the times - 08/20/2018St. John adds an outdoor classroom space for hands-on learning outdoors.
- Battle Creek teacher honored with award - 02/24/2018Kindergarten teacher, Cherie Werner, reluctantly accepts Concordia University Master Teacher Award.
- Four Concordia alumni earn LCMS Nebraska District Awards for education and church work - 11/17/20175th-8th Grade Math & Science teacher accepts LCMS Nebraska District Teacher of the Year Award.
Learning Difference Programs
Learning Programs Supported
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 17%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
% Faculty w/Advanced Degree
Average Class Size
Classroom Dress Code
Finances and Admission
None / Rolling
Yearly Tuition Cost
The congregation subsidizes over 70% of the costs for all students.
% on Financial Aid
Average Financial Aid Grant
National avg.: 85%
Total Sports Offered
Profile last updated:
I love seeing my son come home talking about Bible stories and getting lost in chapter books. We are blessed that we can send him to a school where his faith can be reinforced and he can have dedicated teachers to push him!
Endorse St. John Lutheran School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
What A Teacher Does
A teacher wears many hats. Here's a look at her duties and responsibilities.
How Diverse Are Private Schools?
Decades ago private schools could have been accused of being elitist. You had to have money to attend. The student populations were fairly homogeneous. Fortunately that has changed.
Private School Job Searching 101
Here is a guide for teachers and administrators seeking employment in private schools. Think of it as a roadmap for the job search process.