The Children's Center
Tel: (207) 797-9366
- The Childrens Center believe fostering development should be the aim of education - that each individual is unique and has his/her own temperament and learning style.
- The individual brings this uniqueness into each new experience and takes an active role in the process of learning.
- We learn through our actions and interactions with people and our environment.
- As teachers, we are also learners, testing out and perfecting our theories about how children learn and how we may best facilitate the process.
- We believe that the theories children construct about how the world operates (e.g. how blocks can be stacked to build a bridge, how to obtain a toy that someone else is using, and when to stop pouring milk so it won't spill) forms the foundation for more complex skills of reading, writing, mathematical, social and moral reasoning.
- Thus, we believe development can best be facilitated by giving children a wide range of opportunities to actively explore, manipulate, question, and discover.
- Our goals for the children are for them to develop positive self-esteem, to become self-initiated thinkers and discoverers and to have respect for themselves and others in the world in which they live.
|School Type||Early Childhood / Day Care|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association for the Education of Young Children|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-Kindergarten|
|Total Students||98 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||2 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||49:1|
National avg.: 13:1
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
Nearby Private Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Portland Grades: NS-8 | 242 students
695 Stevens Ave
Portland, ME 04103
(207) 797-7073 0.1 NS-8
- Portland Grades: PK-8 | 149 students
856 Brighton Ave
Portland, ME 04102
(207) 772-8689 1.2 PK-8
- Portland Grades: 8-12 | 33 students
587 Ocean Ave
Portland, ME 04103
(207) 871-1582 1.3 8-12
Now that school has safely reopened, what can we parents do to support and encourage the schools we care about so much?
Sending your child to a single-sex school is one of several options you have when it comes to private schools.
This article aims to show you where to look for information about school reopening protocols, school reopening communications, schools that have closed, and schools with COVID-19 cases, among other COVID-19 related issues.