The Children's Center
- The Childrens Center believe fostering development should be the aim of education - that each individual is unique and has his/her own temperament and learning style.
- The individual brings this uniqueness into each new experience and takes an active role in the process of learning.
- We learn through our actions and interactions with people and our environment.
- As teachers, we are also learners, testing out and perfecting our theories about how children learn and how we may best facilitate the process.
- We believe that the theories children construct about how the world operates (e.g. how blocks can be stacked to build a bridge, how to obtain a toy that someone else is using, and when to stop pouring milk so it won't spill) forms the foundation for more complex skills of reading, writing, mathematical, social and moral reasoning.
- Thus, we believe development can best be facilitated by giving children a wide range of opportunities to actively explore, manipulate, question, and discover.
- Our goals for the children are for them to develop positive self-esteem, to become self-initiated thinkers and discoverers and to have respect for themselves and others in the world in which they live.
|School Type||Early Childhood / Day Care|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association for the Education of Young Children|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-Kindergarten|
|Total Students||98 students|
|Student Body Type||n/a|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||2 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||49:1|
National avg.: 13:1
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
Nearby Private Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Portland Grades: PK-8 | 277 students
695 Stevens Ave
Portland, ME 04103
(207)797-7073 0.1 PK-8
- Portland Grades: PK-8 | 138 students
856 Brighton Ave
Portland, ME 04102
(207)772-8689 1.2 PK-8
- Portland Grades: 8-12 | 33 students
587 Ocean Ave
Portland, ME 04103
(207)871-1582 1.3 8-12
Sometimes a regular school is not the right fit for a child. Perhaps she needs an alternative school.
What are the attributes which make 21st century military schools so special? We find out in this article.
If you are looking for a college preparatory education with a military emphasis, then take a look at military schools.