The Lab School Of Washington
- Founded in 1967 by Sally L. Smith, The Lab School of Washington is internationally recognized for its innovative programs for children and adults with learning disabilities.
- The Lab School Day School offers individualized instruction to students in kindergarten through 12th grade.
- The instructional approaches developed by Professor Smith, emphasize hands-on experimental learning and the use of the arts to teach academic skills.
- State-of-the-art work with computers, storytelling, writing and art in the elementary school as well as a continual emphasis on project learning in the junior and senior high school keep The Lab School pioneering new educational methods.
The Lab School Of Washington places among the top 20% of private schools in District of Columbia for:
- Category Attribute
- Student Body Largest student body
|School Type||Special Education School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Other school association(s)|
|Grades Offered||Grades 7-12|
|Total Students||342 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 48%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||75 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1|
National avg.: 13:1
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Washington Grades: PK-12 | 162 students
5000 14th St Nw
Washington, DC 20011
(202)722-5555 4 PK-12
- Washington Grades: 5-12 | 61 students
801 Buchanan St Ne
Washington, DC 20017
(202)281-2770 5.5 5-12
- Washington Grades: 2-8 | 61 students
5901 Utah Ave Nw
Washington, DC 20015
(202)363-1333 4 2-8
- Washington Grades: 6-12
2000 Florida Ave. NW, 2nd Floor
Washington, DC 20009
(202)244-0639 2.5 6-12
Most private schools have endowment funds. We explain how these work and why schools are fortunate to have them in tough times.
COVID-19 has turned education at every level upside-down, inside-out. We offer some steps to guide your planning for academic year 2020-21.
Teachers and parents are concerned about the teaching that will take place post-pandemic. I have tried to cover their concerns in the following set of questions and answers.