The River School
- The River School is dedicated to nurturing children 18 months through Grade 3 through a premier, personalized education.
- The school`s one-of-a-kind inclusion model pairs a master`s level educator and a speech-language pathologist in each classroom, and focuses on language, literacy and social development.
- Classroom practice emphasizes experiential and collaborative learning, using thematic curriculum to seamlessly integrate literacy, math, science, drama, music, visual arts, PE and yoga. Student-Teacher Ratio: 5:1
The River School places among the top 20% of private schools in District of Columbia for:
- Category Attribute
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Other school association(s)
AIMSMDDC (Assoc. of independent Maryland and DC Schools)
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-3|
|Total Students||220 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 48%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||40 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||14 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 10 / rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition ranges from $12,850 (preschool, 2 mornings) to $37,800 (K-Grade 3)|
|% on Financial Aid|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Megan Campbell|
|Admissions Associate||Nicky David|
|Endowment Size||$2.2 million|
|Total Sports Offered||5 sports|
|Sports||Badminton, Basketball, Indoor Soccer, Track and Field, VolleyballBadminton, Basketball,|
Indoor Soccer, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||8 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Arts and Music Programs:|
Chess, Cooking, Destination Imagination (STEAM), Lego Robotics, River Art, Spanish with Language Stars, Textiles, Tinkering
- The River School is dedicated to children 18 months through Grade 3.
- The school`s innovative educational model pairs a master`s level educator and a speech language pathologist in each classroom, and focuses on language, literacy and social development.
- Classroom practice emphasizes experiential and collaborative learning, using thematic curriculum to seamlessly integrate literacy, math, science, drama, music, art, physical education and yoga.
- The River School`s unique inclusion program is internationally acclaimed. Most students (85% or more) are children with normal hearing; each classroom includes a few children with hearing loss who use cochlear implants or hearing aids. The teaching team supports all of the children in the classroom, with every student greatly benefiting from the rich educational experience.
- The River School is located in northwest Washington DC, west of Georgetown and convenient to the Maryland and Virginia suburbs. It offers the advantages of a neighborhood setting with a public library, shopping and parks nearby.
Profile last updated:
- People that viewed The River School also viewed these schools: Beauvoir, The National Cathedral Elementary School, Capitol Hill Day School, Lowell School, Maret School and National Presbyterian School.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Washington Grades: PK-3 | 401 students
3500 Woodley Road NW
Washington, DC 20016
(202)537-6793 1.7 PK-3
- Washington Grades: PK-8 | 225 students
210 South Carolina Avenue SE
Washington, DC 20003
(202)386-9920 5.3 PK-8
- Washington Grades: NS-6 | 293 students
4121 Nebraska Ave Nw
Washington, DC 20016
(202)537-7508 2 NS-6