- Lowell is a co-ed independent school educating students from age 2 1/2 through eighth grade.
- Learning at Lowell is active, hands-on, and experiential, and all facets of the curriculum engage students in the rigors of critical thinking and creative problem solving.
- A strong social curriculum supports the academic curriculum, and students learn how to communicate, collaborate, and lead with respect and empathy for others.
- Lowell provides young people with the learning and life skills they need to thrive not only in challenging high school programs, but also in our 21st century global world.
- We are a dynamic, diverse, and welcoming community on eight.
- Our mission is to create an inclusive community of life-long learners in which each child is valued and respected.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
Other school association(s)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Total Students||329 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 49%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||94 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||4:1
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||16 students|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 10 / rolling|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Total Sports Offered||7 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Lacrosse, Soccer, Swimming, Track and Field, Ultimate FrisbeeBasketball, Cross Country,
Swimming, Track and Field,
- At Lowell, dedicated teachers nurture curiosity and help children develop fundamental skills and deep, conceptual understandings that will last a lifetime. In the Pre-Primary School, opportunities abound for exploration, discovery, and learning. Teachers pay close attention to each child’s social, emotional, and academic development.
- In the Primary and Middle Schools, a rigorous, integrated curriculum—which includes the full complement of academic classes, as well as arts, technology, and physical education—engages students in active, experiential learning. A strong social curriculum develops interpersonal skills, multicultural understanding, and community engagement. A full array of after-school activities—including sports, swimming lessons, music lessons, and minicourses—are also available for all enrolled students.
Profile last updated: 05/31/2016
- School Location Miles Grades Students
WashingtonGrades: K-12 | 650 students
3000 Cathedral Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20008
WashingtonGrades: PK-3 | 401 students
3500 Woodley Road Nw
Washington, DC 20016
WashingtonGrades: PK-12 | 899 students
3100 Macomb Street NW
Washington, DC 20008
BethesdaGrades: PK-8 | 285 students
5600 Little Falls Pkwy
Bethesda, MD 20816
Silver SpringGrades: NS-12 | 303 students
13500 Layhill Road
Silver Spring, MD 20906
April 21, 2017
Making your job application easy to read will help your application make the first cut.
April 20, 2017
Private high schools offer strong college counseling programs which are ongoing and fully integrated into the daily activities.
April 19, 2017
As you narrow the field in your private school search process, you will develop a short list of three to five schools which you will evaluate in detail. Visiting each school is an essential part of your due diligence.