Washington International School
Tel: (202) 243-1800
- Washington International School (WIS) is a coeducational day school offering 900 students a challenging international curriculum and rich language program from Preschool through Grade 12.
- Students in Preschool through Grade 5 follow the International Baccalaureate (IB) Primary Years Program (PYP); in Grades 6-10 students pursue a multidisciplinary course of study.
- In their final two years of high school, all students are enrolled in IB Diploma Program courses.
- We equip children with the tools to master rigorous academic challenges in math, science, languages, literature, social sciences, and the arts.
- An active sports schedule, programs in the arts, participation in clubs, community service in Washington, DC and around the world, and travel programs-for study and for fun-help create well-rounded students who are also engaged global citizens.
Washington International School places among the top 20% of private schools in District of Columbia for:
- Category Attribute
- Student Body Largest student body
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||European Council for International Schools|
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools
International Baccalaureate (IB) World School
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-12|
|Total Students||896 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||104 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||9:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Average SAT score||1380|
|Average ACT score||30|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 5|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$44,460|
|Tuition Notes||Preschool Tuition: $27,675 Pre-Kindergarten Tuition: $35,240 Kindergarten Tuition: $38,260 Grade 1 to Grade 5 Tuition: $39,320 Middle School Tuition (Grades 6-8): $43,825 Upper School Tuition (Grades 9-12): $44,460|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$30,239|
|Admissions Director||Mary Hastings Moore|
|Endowment Size||$6 million|
|Total Sports Offered||9 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, VolleyballBasketball, Cross Country,|
Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||4 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
many student-organized clubs
Arts and Music Programs:
chorus and instrumental music., In middle and upper schools, two musicals and two plays each year
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Washington Grades: PK-12 | 1151 students
3825 Wisconsin Ave NW
Washington, DC 20016
(202) 537-8100 0.8 PK-12
- Washington Grades: PK-12 | 372 students
2001 Wisconsin Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20007
(202) 829-3700 1.2 PK-12
Whether you are just beginning the process of choosing a private school or several months into it, make sure that you keep these five 'must haves' front and center in your thinking.
Are charter schools private schools? What do vouchers have to do with private schools? Some answers here.
You cannot rank private schools. We explain why.