Tower Hill School
Tel: (302) 657-8350
Tower Hill School Photo #2 - Math and science have never had a home like this - 25,000 ultramodern square feet dedicated to preparing our students to tackle the challenges of the 21st century. Our brand new Math and Science Center, which opened September 2013, offers yet another opportunity for Tower Hill's student-centered, faculty-led approach to unleash every student's full potential, and more.
Tower Hill School Photo #3 - There's no limit to the excellence Tower Hill students can achieve. Our unique student-centered, faculty-led approach empowers students to be active creators of their own learning experiences. Partners in potential.
Tower Hill School Photo #4 - Imagine a place of fearless inquiry and curiosity where students, through attention by and involvement with teachers, reach beyond their potential. At Tower Hill young children learn how to question, explore and build potentially innovative solutions, while learning life-long values through our relentless focus on building character. Come see how your child can reach beyond at Tower Hill!
- Tower Hill School is a co-educational, non-denominational school, preschool through grade 12, dedicated to its motto, Multa Bene Facta -- Many Things Done Well. Tower Hill encourages diversity in the religious, racial, economic, and ethnic composition of its student body.
- Tower Hill provides an enriched and challenging college preparatory program in which each student's abilities and talents are recognized and respected.
- The curriculum incorporates both traditional and innovative approaches to learning within an educational environment that nurtures each student's moral, intellectual, creative, and physical development.
- Tower Hill is committed to perpetuating a school community founded on personal integrity, mutual respect, and collective responsibility.
- The school prepares its students for citizenship in the global community and encourages an appreciation for the lifelong process of learning. www.towerhill.org.
Tower Hill School places among the top 20% of private schools in Delaware for:
- Category Attribute
- SAT Score Highest average SAT score
- Acceptance Rate Lowest average acceptance rates
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
- Student Body Largest student body
- Sports offered Most sports offered
- Extracurriculars Most extracurriculars offered
- School History Oldest founding date
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Association of Delaware Valley Independent Schools (ADVIS)
Pennsylvania Association of Independent Schools (PAIS)
Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-12|
|Total Students||815 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 19%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||156 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||14 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Average SAT score||1361|
|Average ACT score||31|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Appropriate attire conducive to education setting)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Dec. 18 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$31,900|
|Tuition Notes||High school tuition listed, middle and lower school tuition is a different amount, visit our website for tuition for all grades.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$11,650|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Bill Ushler|
|Admissions Associate||Amy Bickhart|
|Total Sports Offered||15 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Winter Track, WrestlingBaseball, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Field Hockey,
Tennis, Track and Field,
Volleyball, Winter Track,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||34 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Academic Bowl, Animal Awareness, Baking Club, Blue-Gold Club, Chess Club, Community Service, Contemporary Issue & Current Events, Culture Club, Debate Team, Diversity Club, Forum Council, Green Keys, Honor Council, Jefferson Awards, LGBTQ Alliance, Lit Page, Math League, Mock Trial, Model UN, Newspaper, Photography, Physics Club, Robotics, Science Olympiad, Sportsmans Club, Yearbook, Young Democrats, Young Republicans
Arts and Music Programs:
A Cappella Choir, Band/Jazz Band, Chorus, Drama/Theater, String Ensemble
Recreational Athletic Programs:
- Today, everyone at Tower Hill continues to build on the strong foundation established by our 11 founders in 1919. Our exceptional teaching and learning environment provides a superior education conducive to the intellectual, emotional and physical growth of each individual student. Our goal is to develop students who are ethically responsible and prepared to meet the challenges of society with confidence by bringing their best to all that they do. Tower Hill graduates are offered admission to some of the best colleges and universities in the nation.
- We have a renowned academic program. Tower Hill provides a traditional independent education with innovative approaches to learning. Our academic curriculum is characterized by a spirit of inquiry, an appreciation for innovation and an outward-looking perspective.
- We have an excellent faculty who are passionate and at the forefront of education. These caring and accomplished individuals, who have a multitude of talents, have chosen to put their life`s energy into teaching, coaching, advising and guiding students.
- We have unparalleled learning resources. In addition to our faculty, we have key resources to enhance the learning experiences of our students. These resources include state-of-the-art facilities, programs, philosophies and practical approaches that we apply to learning support, college counseling and technology. A Math and Science Center opened in 2013.
- Our faculty know our students and nurture their particular talents. Our teachers work with them in a small class setting, fostering individual strengths and building self-confidence. Each student is part of a true community. Our single campus encourages connections and meaningful learning opportunites between students of every age. And the community includes a warm, supportive and learning partnership with parents.
- We are committed to character education and ethical decision making. At Tower Hill we teach character by living our core values: honesty, respect and responsibility. These virtues are embedded in all that we do. Recognizing that character growth, self-advocacy and independence build from early education, Tower Hill consistently provides students with tools to facilitate collaboration and citizenship.
- We are committed to diversity and attract talented faculty and students who represent the diversity of our region. Our students and faculty, through involvement in national programs, have helped shape the path to make Tower Hill more inclusive and multicultural.
- We have a vibrant arts program that is often integrated into the core curriculum. Students have numerous opportunities to participate in music, drama and the visual arts. We have a lower school drama program where everyone gets to be "on stage." Step through our front door and be greeted by the explosion of visual arts in our hallways and in our art gallery. We support athletics for everyone.
- We believe in school-based athletics and the importance of lessons learned about sportsmanship, teamwork and healthy living, which students are taught beginning in preschool. We field 24 competitive varsity teams, and there is a team in every season on which any interested and dedicated student can participate regardless of skill level. Tower Hill ranks 3rd in the state for the highest number of state championships and has been awarded sportsmanship state championships for seven consecutive years.
- We provide a world of opportunities. Tower Hill goes beyond small classes and challenging programs by offering something more-skill-based, applied, experiential and service learning opportunities to help prepare students for a rapidly changing world. We have a tradition and history of excellence. For over 100 years, in an environment espousing high expectations, we've been preparing students for college and beyond and building a school community that values service to others.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
If you live outside the United States, choosing an American private school can be a confusing process. Here is an overview of the process.
Many people thought vouchers would never amount to much. Not only have they amounted to a great deal more than anybody could have thought, but vouchers have encouraged several more education choices to flourish.
Now that school has safely reopened, what can we parents do to support and encourage the schools we care about so much?