The Tatnall School
- The Tatnall School is an independent, coeducational, college preparatory day school situated on a pastoral 110-acre campus in Greenville, Delaware, near Wilmington.
- Tatnall is composed of four academic divisions that enroll students from age 3 through Grade 12.
- Tatnall provides students with an excellent college preparatory education within a family atmosphere.
- We are committed to maintaining a learning environment in which each student feels supported, challenged and recognized.
- Tatnall's Mission Statement makes our goal clear: "A Tatnall graduate is prepared to succeed as a college or university student and to assume the important role of a responsible member of society in all its diversity." At Tatnall, students are encouraged to nurture their intellectual curiosity, explore their talents and serve their communities.
- Our liberal arts tradition ensures development of mind, body and spirit through a balanced program of academics, athletics and the arts.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Association of Delaware Valley Independent Schools (ADVIS)
Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools
Delaware Association of Independent Schools
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-12|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Total Students||551 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||80 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|Number of AP Courses||20 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP AB Calculus, AP Art (3D), AP Art 2D, AP BC & Multivariable Calculus, AP Biology, AP English Literature, AP Environmental Science, AP European History, AP French Language, AP Latin, AP Physics: Mechanics, AP Psychology, Ap Spanish Language, AP Statistics, AP Studio Art, AP U.S. Government & Politics, AP U.S. History, Honors Advanced Chemistry, Honors Advanced Latin Literature, Honors Algebra 2, Honors Biology, Honors Chemistry, Honors English, Honors French 4, Honors Latin 4, Honors Physics, Honors Precalc and Trig, Honors Spanish 4|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Deanna Bochetti|
|Admissions Associate||Alissa McGrisken|
|Total Sports Offered||15 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Winter TrackBaseball, Basketball,|
Cheering, Cross Country,
Field Hockey, Football,
Golf, Ice Hockey,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||11 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
beekeeping, Black Student Union, Environmental Club, Jefferson Awards Club, Mock Trial Team, Student Council, Yearbook Club
Arts and Music Programs:
Choir, Drama Club, Orchestra, Playbill
The Tatnall School comprises four divisions from age 3 through grade 12:
- PRESCHOOL-The Tatnall Preschool combines all of the elements necessary, including an experienced, fully credentialed faculty, to engage the curiosity and imaginations of our youngest learners. Our award-winning facility was designed with this group-ages three through kindergarten-specifically in mind. Inside, children find learning centers and areas that facilitate imaginative and cooperative play, quiet time for reading books, group time and manipulative activities. Outside our students explore a play area designed by one of the country's foremost landscape architects. This stimulating area includes state-of-the-art equipment, an amphitheater/outdoor classroom, an archeological "dig" site, water play areas, tricycle paths and a Schoolyard Habitat certified by the National Wildlife Federation. With great care and creativity, Tatnall Preschool teachers guide children through early explorations of mathematics, language and literacy, science, social studies, art, Spanish, music, technology and developmental gym. The student-faculty ratio of 9:1 allows teachers and students to form close, trusting relationships. Our head teachers also enjoy the support of assistants, professional educational consultants, Upper School student volunteers and, of course, parents.
- LOWER SCHOOL-A Tatnall Lower School student joins a community of learners. Our homeroom teachers and specialized faculty work together to create a unique experience for each child based on a common Lower School mission: To inspire self-discovery, moral courage and academic excellence in fellowship. Tatnall students learn how to learn and how to confidently speak with adults in order to gather support, seek counsel and generate ideas. Our faculty builds relationships that cultivate a safe environment where children can take risks and apply their learning. By encouraging inquiry, our students learn how to learn, actively participate in their education and become comfortable and confident interacting with adults. Incorporating our Daisy Values into our daily language reminds faculty and students who we are and how we behave. Citizenship, integrity, perseverance, compassion, honesty, respect and responsibility are not just words to live by, but traits that are modeled, acted upon visibly and frequently, expected and celebrated. In addition to core subjects that include instruction by specialists in their fields, we also emphasize art, music, gym, technology and Spanish instruction. Combined with an active and consistent community service commitment, a Lower School student is prepared to meet the challenges of Middle School.
- MIDDLE SCHOOL-In Middle School, grades 5-8, every child experiences dramatic growth and change. At Tatnall, Middle Schoolers find the support, challenge and structure to meet their rapidly evolving intellectual and personal needs. Our faculty guide the development of each child during these critical years through the use of a curriculum, activities and a schedule that are matched to this unique age group. The Middle School academic program emphasizes higher order thinking skills such as analysis, synthesis, problem solving and evaluation. Middle School teaching teams take an interdisciplinary approach to learning and pay particular attention to developing organization, writing, study skills, inquiry, research, critical thinking and personal responsibility. Our team approach gives students and faculty a strong sense of identity. Eight teachers comprise both the fifth/sixth grade and seventh/eighth grade teams, in addition to specialists in the arts, physical education and foreign language. In a typical day, a Middle School student receives instruction in math, science, language arts, social studies, physical education, technology, the arts and foreign language. Character development, physical development and social development concerns are addressed in Life Skills seminars.
- UPPER SCHOOL-Tatnall Upper School students engage in all aspects of a rigorous college preparatory program. Close relationships between teachers and students are the hallmark of the Upper School community. Students stretch themselves as they learn to take risks and to accept challenges. The Upper School program inspires curiosity and encourages students to become involved in a variety of activities both inside and outside of the classroom as they prepare for college and beyond. Upper School students schedule classes in an academic program that provides foundation courses as well as a large selection of Honors and Advanced Placement selections. They have the opportunity to participate in three drama productions each year, create art in one of our two art studios, travel to our European sister schools and perform in our chorus, band or strings ensembles. Each sports season, students move to the fields and the gyms to become members of teams that compete successfully at the local, state, regional and national levels. Our students grow in their confidence and prepare for the opportunities and challenges of a changing world. They learn how to solve problems, create and to become individuals of character and integrity. Upper School students are guided though our program by teachers, counselors and individual advisers who join in partnership with families to prepare our graduates for the future. The Upper School is a wonderful, welcoming place for students to find their passion and a love of learning.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Wilmington Grades: NS-12 | 791 students
2813 W 17th Street
Wilmington, DE 19806
(302)575-0550 2.2 NS-12
We absolutely love Tatnall! These kids are getting a well-rounded education. There are so many courses for them to choose from. The math and science departments are top-notch. The art department is widely heralded, and the choral department is led by a Grammy-winning artist. There are also a large variety of clubs to choose from, something for everybody. Zero tolerance for bullying. Tatnall has safety drills and a campus that is near major thoroughfares, yet off the beaten path reassuring me that my child is safe. This is a fantastic K-12 school. I had two kids here and the faculty and staff are truly amazing across the board and a couple that are truly spectacular. The school community is very nurturing, and students live by an impressive code. Amazing what a fantastic legacy they have been able to create in Wilmington, Delaware.
- Posted by Parent - Paul S
Love this progressive, family school that embraces academics, arts, and athletics in equal measure. Tatnall fosters independence & responsibility, and challenges my child academically with rigorous courses and unique electives. Arts & music are phenomenal, Lifelong learning to happen here!
- Posted by Parent - PGB
This is my daughter's first year at Tatnall and it has been nothing short of exceptional. The small class sizes and amazing academic programming has her coming home with story upon story about what she learns each and every day. Even beyond the normal school hours, her day is filled with extracurricular programs like the escape room, book club, geocaching, ceramics and chorus.
- Posted by Parent - A. McGrisken
Tatnall offers a thoughtful curriculum, basic and solid core values and - best of all - nurturing teachers who are completely invested in the academic and social, emotional development of the students. These factors are instilling confidence, kindness and a love of learning in our children. When we joined Tatnall eight years ago, we found a welcoming and warm community. In our view, Tatnall is firmly committed to educating well-rounded leaders through a rigorous and thorough academic curriculum, strong arts and science programs as well as solid athletic opportunities.
- Posted by Parent - Parent
We have been at Tatnall since 2003, when our daughter began in the Early Childhood division. Tatnall has instilled in our child the confidence to be a curious and adventurous learner. One who does not fear mistakes, but recognizes them as opportunities for growth. The families we have met are amazing and have become lifelong friends. The community is very close knit and lends itself to a feeling of connection and security. I would highly recommend Tatnall for families looking for an excellent education in a very nurturing environment.
- Posted by Parent - Rebecca L. Collins