Washington School For Girls
- Grades: 3-8
- Students: 134 students
- Yearly Tuition: $350
- Average class size: 15 students
- Application Deadline: None / Rolling
Washington School For Girls ranks among the top 20% of private schools in District Of Columbia for:
Academics and Faculty
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
Various clubs, Various Extracurricular Activities at all grade levels
- The Washington School for Girls is an independent, all girls, Catholic day school serving students in grades 3-8 in Washington DC`s Wards 7 and 8 and close-in Prince George's County, MD. WSG offers full scholarships to all students who enroll and seeks students who would most benefit from the school`s supportive environment. WSG enrolls approximately 130 students each year. In addition to a year-round academic program, the school also provides comprehensive family support, extended day programming, and graduate support.
- Our Mission is to close the educational gap and broaden the educational opportunities for girls from economically disadvantaged communities in grades 3-8. We provide an excellent academic program and supportive environment which engages families and the community in the social, emotional, and spiritual growth of its students and graduates. Our strength is our commitment to each student and our belief in her gifts, talents, and potential. Our promise is that from such an experience will emerge young women of competence, compassion, and commitment to leadership in their families and communities.
- Because students enter WSG with different prior educational experiences, the program is designed to accelerate each student's learning to ensure they are high-school ready when they graduate. The year-round program prevents summer learning loss while providing more regular breaks throughout the year, minimizing student burn-out and creating opportunities for enrichment. School begins in mid-July and ends in mid-June. Students have two weeks off in early fall, two weeks off over the Christmas holiday, two weeks off in March, and four weeks off between school years. During school breaks, WSG offers Intersession programs that provide enrichment activities, including outdoor learning and arts instruction.
- WSG has a rich curriculum with a particular emphasis on building literacy skills, which are the cornerstone upon which learning in all subject areas is based. Students in all grades have access to a Reading Specialist who works with students one-on-one and in small groups to advance each student`s skills. Our youngest students also receive tutoring from a corps of specially trained volunteers. By the time they reach 6th grade, students move into a high school preparatory curriculum that encourages students to be critical thinkers. Thanks to a comprehensive program that includes a year-round academic calendar, an extended day that provides structured study hall and enrichment clubs, spiritual education, family engagement, and ongoing support for our graduates, WSG students go on to complete high school at an outstanding rate of 99%, which is significantly above the community average.
- Through Extended Day programming, students have the opportunity to develop their leadership skills, engage in service learning, and pursue new passions through the clubs that are offered each semester. Middle school students (grades 6-8) are required to participate in Extended Day programming until 5:30pm.
Endorse Washington School For Girls. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards