5.00 (4 reviews)
- Wingra School is a small, independent day school providing a child-centered, progressive education for children ages 5 to 14 in the greater Madison area. Each day, Wingra`s nurturing and professional teachers invite students to learn deeply, think creatively, and act compassionately.
- Wingra provides an education for the world that is and the world that could be. Schedule a visit today!
|School Type||Alternative School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Independent Schools Association of the Central States (ISACS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-8|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Total Students||109 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 30%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||12 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||9:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$16,040|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Christine Stocke|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||7 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
from Running to Pokemon., Rotating Offerings of Clubs on a Variety of Interests, Take Apart Club
Arts and Music Programs:
Band Program, Choir, Grad Senior Choir, Rock & Jazz Band
- WHAT WE BELIEVE ABOUT EDUCATION We
are a progressive school.
We see children as individuals and encourage them to be deep thinkers and wonderers who ask questions. We respect childhood.
We honor the age, developmental stage, interests, and capabilities of each of our students, ages 5-14.We foster self-directed learners.
We believe children are active constructors of their own knowledge, and we equip them to participate in learning in authentic, purposeful, and meaningful ways. We plant seeds of positive social change.
We teach tolerance, conflict resolution, appreciation for different points of view, listening skills and advocacy. We build integrated thematic units of study.
- Students experience connections between the sciences, arts, literacy, mathematics, and technology. We invite children to see the whole world as their classroom.
- We draw upon the expertise in our community and the abundant resources around us to enrich our program. We are located across from the UW-Arboretum hiking trails, blocks from Lake Wingra and also from Madison Metropolitan Bus Routes and the Southwest Communter Bike Path.
- We offer a low student to teacher ratio in every multi-age classroom.
- Our staff also includes specialists in the areas of art, library, music, physical education, Spanish and technology. Learn more about our school and philosophy at www.wingraschool.org.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Madison Grades: K-12 | 257 students
4901 E Buckeye Road
Madison, WI 53716
(608)221-1520 6.9 K-12
- Madison Grades: K-8 | 269 students
5454 Gunflint Trl
Madison, WI 53711
(608)273-0309 3.1 K-8
- Madison Grades: K-8 | 291 students
829 Edgewood College Dr
Madison, WI 53711
(608)663-4100 0.7 K-8
The best Madison has to offer! Wingra is an incredible place for learning, growth, belonging, and community. I have two children, one who attended another local private school. Children really get what they need at Wingra... they are known by teachers and students of all grades and levels, there is plenty of outside time, wonderful arts and music and deep learning that stays with them for life. By and large, Wingra grads go on the ace high school. Some say the traditional high school learning is "easier" because they were taught to think and be accountable for their work at Wingra. My children love Wingra and they are truly happy and comfortable with themselves and others. The parent and staff community is wonderful. Go have a look!
- Posted by Parent - NakomaMom
It was important to me I found a school that took my five-year-old seriously. A place that listened to his interests and passions and then challenged him to pursue those in depth. A place that didn't explain to him all the rules and tell him how to get a good grade but encouraged him to stop and think and explore and learn for himself. Wingra has done all of that. He's excited to be there every day.
- Posted by Parent - Christine
Wingra is a small, welcoming community of thoughtful, dedicated, creative educators. My children are taught to be thinkers and doers at Wingra. They are given regular opportunities to express themselves freely, to lead, to follow, to be challenged and to consider many viewpoints. My daughters both went to public school for elementary, so we have something to compare. My eldest is now back at our neighborhood public high school and she is thriving academically. She knows how to advocate for what she needs, thanks to Wingra. My youngest is still at Wingra and she loves going to school each day. We are so lucky to have Wingra for our kids!
- Posted by Parent - gring
The school approach is great for my child. I am so glad I found this school in Madison!
- Posted by Parent - cbdpr
We have spent tens of billions on educational technology since the 1990s. Has all this spending improved educational outcomes?
Use this five-point checklist to keep your search for private schools organized.
The COVID-19 has turned our lives upside down. Sending your children back to school raises all sorts of concerns for their safety and education. We answer some of your questions here.