Anchor Lutheran School
5.00 (9 reviews)
Anchor Lutheran School Photo #2 - Perhaps what Anchor is best known for is our warm, loving environment, being a place children, parents, and staff genuinely love to be. We are a school community that welcomes people as they are, sharing God's unconditional love through our high quality educational experience. Our students and families quickly come to know that Anchor is not just a school; it's a large extended family of other people who care.
Anchor Lutheran School Photo #3 - The biggest contribution to our nurturing classroom environments is that Jesus is a part of each one. His presence is sense in the way students treat each other, the symbols and imagery around the walls, and the care of the instructors. Christian education is so much more than just the three R's.
Anchor Lutheran School Photo #4 - The small average class size is a big part of why students enjoy Anchor Lutheran. Each student is able to receive an abundant amount of teacher attention and support, helping them to thrive.
Anchor Lutheran School Photo #5 - Technology is deeply integrated to our school program. Laptop computing, iPad use, and interactive whiteboards are utilized by teachers and students daily, with one-to-one programs implemented 5th Grade on up.
Anchor Lutheran School Photo #6 - Our playground features great facilities, open space, and even a sledding hill. Whether during the "green" or "white" seasons, there is always something to do outside at Anchor!
Anchor Lutheran School Photo #7 - Our 5th - 8th Graders enjoy participation in outdoor and indoor soccer, cross country running, basketball, volleyball, and track. Christian sportsmanship is emphasized, and all students are given plenty of participation time.
Anchor Lutheran School Photo #8 - Music is a vibrant part of the Anchor experience. All children, Preschool on up, have multiple general music classes each week. Instrumental music begins with Orff and other percussion instruments already in Preschool, adds the Recorder in Third Grade, and then Band in Fourth, with Band as an elective 5th Grade through Junior High.
Anchor Lutheran School Photo #9 - The fine arts are key to a well-rounded education. Our drama program engages students in developing valuable life skills while kindling a passion for an activity they may pursue throughout their lives. The Fall Drama is an annual K-8 extracurricular, while Junior High students prepare a Spring Production as a regular part of our curriculum.
- Anchor Lutheran School has been partnering with parents for over thirty years in meeting the Christian daycare, preschool, and K-8 educational needs of children from throughout the Anchorage community.
- Our school earned accreditation through the Northwest Accreditation Commission in 1987 (previously the Northwest Association of Schools and Colleges), and achieved additional accreditation through National Lutheran Schools Accreditation in 1999, serving as hallmarks of our program quality and a commitment to ongoing improvement and growth.
- Anchor is one of approximately 2,400 schools affiliated with the Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod (including early childhood centers, elementary schools, high schools, and universities providing both undergraduate and graduate degrees), a school system that dates back to the 1840‘s and is the largest Christian Protestant school system in our nation.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Northwest Association of Accredited Schools|
|Religious Affiliation||Lutheran Church Missouri Synod|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Total Students||207 students|
|Student Body Type||n/a|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 28%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||11 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||19:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||15 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Neat and modest, representing traditional Christian values)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$8,484|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition listed is standard rate for the K-8 program. Early Tuition Rate of $7,968 available for enrollments received prior to May 15, 2015. Child care and preschool rates vary by the particular schedule selected.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$3,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Tammy Kellard|
|Total Sports Offered||6 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Indoor Soccer, Soccer, Track and Field, VolleyballBasketball, Cross Country,|
Indoor Soccer, Soccer,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||4 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Arts and Music Programs:
- Anchor Lutheran School operates as a Christian alternative to other educational and childcare programs in our community. We believe that many of the influences that affect development and character formation may be positively directed in a Christian atmosphere. In order to ensure proper development and Christian direction, we offer a quality academic educational program centered around Christ and His example for living. It is the purpose of Anchor Lutheran to assist the home in developing the total child, mind, body, and soul. We equip children with tools necessary to carry on lives of confidence and security in a challenging world. Through the experiences gained at Anchor Lutheran, children are better able to cope with the everyday problems of this world while keeping their sights on Jesus our Savior and the hope of eternal life. We realize that families have a wide variety of educational choices for their children. At Anchor, we provide the many different aspects of a well-rounded learning environment, while emphasizing lives of Christian compassion and active service to others. We believe no other school in Anchorage provides children with the same high level of academic instruction, exposure to the arts, and training in technology while effectively emphasizing the more important aspects of life: faith-driven kindness, compassion, and acts of service. Anchor alumni don’t just excel in their future academic endeavors; they excel as individuals, making the world around them better as they live their lives for the Lord. Key Features:
- Christ-Centered Education
- Service Emphasis and Opportunities
- Licensed Christian Teachers
- Small Class Sizes
- Convenient Location
- Fine Arts Emphasis: Music, Art, Drama
- Athletic Program - Outdoor Soccer, Basketball, Volleyball, Indoor Soccer, Track
- Licensed Child Watch Program (Before and After School Care, K-6)
- Licensed Preschool offering full-day Child Care
- Hot Lunch Program
- Affordable Tuition
- Need-based Financial Assistance Program (for K-8 only)
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Anchorage Grades: NS-12 | 528 students
6401 E Northern Lights Blvd
Anchorage, AK 99504
(907)269-3842 5.5 NS-12
- Anchorage Grades: K-12 | 146 students
1010 W Fireweed Lane
Anchorage, AK 99503
(907)276-5822 3.5 K-12
I chose this school because of the commitment the staff has to the children being developed into young adults that are leaders. They don`t "just" focus on academics. With that being said I am very impressed with the dedication these teachers have to help the kids succeed. Where else have you been where the teachers read a book aloud and download it so that students that learn better audibly than visually can listen to it ? Or record video lessons so the students can go back and watch the lesson again if they aren`t getting something? This school is amazing!!! And the class size is small enough that your student is going to get the educational experience all kids deserve.
- Posted by Parent - Christine
My child has been attending Anchor Lutheran for three years now and it is a phenomenal school! The teachers are wonderful, the curriculum is excellent (with a great mix of academics, spirituality, music, PE, etc) and the staff is great too. I love that every adult that works at the school knows who my child is, his name, what class he's in and where he should be. You can't put a price on the ability to drop your child off in the morning and know they are not only safe and learning, but truly cared for.
- Posted by Parent - AM
Our family has been involved with Anchor Lutheran School for 14 years.Two of our boys graduated from this school and we still have three children attending the school. I have been very impressed and grateful for the personalized teaching style available for the children. The close relationship between the teachers, children, and parents allows us all to work together to find the best path for educating them while keeping them interested and happy. I highly recommend this school to your family also. If you are looking for a faith based environment with a great staff of teachers and administrators you will find it at Anchor Lutheran School. This school provides great support for your children's education and encourages parental involvement with the school and it's many fun programs. I cant express enough how grateful and pleased our family is for Anchor Lutheran School and the educational support we have received and continue to receive here.
- Posted by Parent - Troy Scott
My son started here because I was looking for a daycare where my son could go a week on and week off. When the summer program was ending, he was going to start kindergarten so we decided to enroll our son into the school year and I never regretted it since. The care the teachers provide is superb. My son loves music class and Wednesday pizza hot lunch day :-). He loves Chapel. When he is at the after or before care my son is always excited to get into the school to play with his friends and learn.
- Posted by Parent - Jose A
We have been part of the Anchor Lutheran family for over 10 years now. When we started going there we were only looking for a preschool for our girls but after going there for only a year and a half we knew we needed to stay for elementary and junior high. The teachers, principal, and staff are amazing. They are easy to get ahold of and talk to. They use just the right amount of structure paired with compassion and can tailor this to fit each students needs. As my daughter approaches high school next year she is already placing in sophomore and honors level classes. Anchor provides them with the tools, strength and courage that they need to become strong young adults.
- Posted by Parent - JDE
We have been very pleased with Anchor Lutheran's preschool program & K-8 , as well. The teachers & staff genuinely care about the children. The approach towards children is gentle and respectful. We are impressed with all that our children are learning and the teachers make it fun for them. As parents, we feel welcome and listened to. There are plenty of opportunities to get involved. We are confident our children are getting a high quality education and having a positive experience.
- Posted by Parent - EG
I have attended Anchor Lutheran for almost 11 years now, I have been with the same 4 people ever since I started at Anchor and I have loved every part of it. They make sure that you keep your close friends. Ever since I was little the teachers have always treated me and everyone else with respect. They all treat you like family, they are always there to help you when you are struggling and if you look like your sad or upset they always do their very best to make you feel better. Over the past years I have loved Anchor and it doesn`t matter if you are religious or not they treat you with the same amount of respect as everyone else.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Kyla
Our family absolutely loves Anchor Lutheran. The teachers and staff are fantastic, going above and beyond when it comes to their student's education. Once you enroll in the school, you are treated like family. There are plenty of opportunities for students to partake in different activities, from sports, to choir and band, to chess club and more. I would recommend Anchor to any family looking for a quality education for their child(ren). Whether you are highly religious or not, this school is a blessing.
- Posted by Parent - georg
My two children have attended Anchor Lutheran for nearing four years and our family could not be happier. We love that the school not only provides a fantastic ( and technologically cutting edge) education, but character development with a foundation in Christian principles. The teachers really do care about those kids and what a difference that makes in the whole school experience. The school has a fantastic music department - both my kids now play TWO instruments! I never feel "out if the loop" but have great communication with the teachers and what's going on in the classroom.
- Posted by Parent - Akwas
What is a lab school? It's a K-12 school or school with some variation of those grades which is operated by a university or college.
Helicopter, velcro and snowplow parents can't stand the thought of their children having difficulty with anything. Over-protective parents come in several flavors. More here.
Raising money for your small school never seems to end. There is always some pressing need. And a few long-term ones as well. We offer some tips, suggestions and strategies to help you tackle this important aspect of your school's financial situation.