Pacific Northern Academy
5.00 (5 reviews)
- "We educate students to be exceptional learners and independentthinkers of vision, courage, and integrity."- Pacific NorthernAcademy Mission Statement We expect students to be activeparticipants in their own education, to continually challengethemselves, and to communicate clearly and respectfully.
- From Early Childhood through 8th grade, students learn to utilize good judgment, to treat others with compassion, and to act with vision, courage, and integrity as they develop intellectually and personally.
- Students, teachers and parents at PNA work in partnership to create a community of learners dedicated to education.
- We embrace a student-centered approach to learning and we are committed to maintaining low teacher to student ratios that enable students to have meaningful and personalized interactions with their teachers.In addition to core academics, our intellectually engaging program includes studio arts, performing arts, Spanish, and physical education for all students in Early Childhood through Eighth Grade.
- As we teach students to become critical thinkers, we also teach them to become leaders and active citizens of the 21stCentury.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
NWAIS (Northwest Association of Independent Schools
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-8|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$289|
|Summer Program Cost Notes||Students Kindergarten through 6th grade can register for our week-long STEM-based summer camps. Each week has a different theme such as Robotics, Flying Machines, Stop-Motion Animation, and more.|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Total Students||132 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 28%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||18 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Tan or Navy pants and any solid colored collared shirt)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$18,468|
|Tuition Notes||A PNA education is a significant and valuable investment in your child's future. Understanding that each family's financial circumstances are unique, PNA offers Indexed Tuition and Extended Payment Plan options for grades K-8.|
|% on Financial Aid|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Peter Kling|
|Admissions Associate||Macey Walter|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||9 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Geography club, LEGO Robotics Club, Student Government
Arts and Music Programs:
Art Lab, Band Program, Rock/Jazz Combo Band
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Basketball, Fencing, Running Club
- At Pacific Northern Academy we expect students to be active participants in their own education, communicate clearly andrespectfully and continually challenge themselves. We balance adynamic academic environment with developmentally appropriateactivities and expectations. From Early Kindergarten through 8thgrade, students are taught to use good judgment, to treat otherswith compassion and to act with honor and integrity as they developintellectually and personally. Students, teachers and parents at PNA work in partnership to create a community of learners dedicated to education. We embrace a student-centered approach to learning and we are committed to maintaining low teacher to student ratios that enable students to have meaningful and personalizedinteractions with their teachers. Having smaller classes allows teachers to challenge students based on their individual academicability, and affords students more opportunities to ask questions, experiment with multiple solutions, learn from hands-on experiences and engage with other students. Students also have the opportunity to work and learn with students of different ages in activitiesdesigned to encourage mentoring and cross-age learning. In order to teach the whole child, an integral part of our intellectually challenging environment is an emphasis on visual arts, performing arts, community service, and cultural diversity. As we teach students to become critical thinkers we also teach them to embrace their responsibility to become leaders and active citizens in their community. As students and teachers with different experiences and perspectives share their ideas and interpretations with others,everyone in our academic community increases their understanding of the complexities of a culturally diverse environment, and expands their scope of ideas and their ability to confront the difficulties that may face them. Committing ourselves to diversity in our academic programs and cultural environment, PNA strives torecognize the past and promises a constructive approach to the future. Educational Goals:
- To provide an academically challenging college preparatory program for all students
- To develop character, integrity and independence
- To foster a life-long love of learning
- To encourage each child to strive for excellence in all endeavors
- To develop confidence, understanding and responsibility
- To develop respect and love for the processes of thought. Intellectual discipline implies more than obligation, obedience and effort. It implies not merely competence but depth of thought. It is as much concerned with the processes of understanding as it is with the measurement of results. Sometimes its motives are a passion for mastery, sometimes a fascination and love for the subject studied.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Anchorage Grades: NS-12 | 528 students
6401 E Northern Lights Blvd
Anchorage, AK 99504
(907)269-3842 5 NS-12
- Anchorage Grades: PK-8 | 41 students
5511 O'Malley Road
Anchorage, AK 99507
(907)346-2164 2 PK-8
- Anchorage Grades: K-12 | 146 students
1010 W Fireweed Lane
Anchorage, AK 99503
(907)276-5822 5 K-12
Both of my children started at PNA as 3 year olds and we have love it every step of the way. My son is now in 2nd grade, and my daughter is in Kindergarten. The school teaches the entire child, and are able to focus on each student. They aren't just learning how to take tests and get good grades, they are cultivating a love of learning! Academic program is top of the line, and performing arts will always be part of this school. I highly recommend it!
- Posted by Parent - Josienne
We wanted to have our children attend a school that makes them excited about going to school. PNA does a wonderful job of making learning fun. We could not have asked for a better environment that encourages curiosity and answer-seeking. The faculty and administrators are the best mixture of professional and kind experts in their fields.
- Posted by Parent - Anna
My son has attended PNA for just a year now. He has said to me on more than one occasion how he feels like he found his place and how happy he is to go to PNA. We see him actually getting time from teachers to work on his specific needs. We see teachers actually caring about more than just his education but also his social and emotional growth and well-being. I see teachers figuring out what their student's interest are and working with their goals in conjunction with those interests so students are active learners. We couldn't be happier with PNA.
- Posted by Parent - Horn Family
Our two daughters started at PNA in 2017 in the preschool and we have seen so much growth in them! The preschool program has been really great with cool projects and lots of learning, and the communication from the teachers is excellent. The way the students conduct themselves throughout the whole school is very impressive. We have been super happy with it.
- Posted by Parent - Lee
I love this school it has helped me to build conference in myself and others. Thank you for the wonderful teachers and students that made me build courage and conference.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - kayka
You have just heard about a new private school opening soon in your area. Should you consider sending your child there? A look at the pros and cons of such a decision.
If you know the answers to all these questions, you probably teach or work in a private school. Be that as it may, these questions contain links with the answers.
As you evaluate schools, take time to explore fully what the schools which you are looking at teach.