Lumen Christi High School
5.00 (6 reviews)
Lumen Christi High School Photo #3 - Daily Mass is offered at 7:15am, with weekly Mass celebrated on Thursdays.
- Lumen Christi Catholic High School provides a rigorous Catholic education in a Christ-like environment to students in grades 7-12. We take pride in living our core values of Faith, Family, and Excellence on a daily basis.
- Our teachers help students achieve success by setting high standards and providing individual assistance. Over 80% of our students are involved in one or more extracurricular and co-curricular activities, including sports, campus ministry, drama, yeabook, art and, student government. Our building includes a library, chemistry lab, a multipurpose room, a daily lunch room in the rectory, and classrooms with computers and electronic Smartboards.
- We have college-sized gymnasium that is large enough to seat 500.
- Lumen Christi curriculum meets or surpasses all state requirements. Lumen is accredited through AdvancED, and is a member of the Alaska School Activity Association (ASAA) and the Alaska Christian School Activity Association (ACSAA). Lumen also has a National Honor Society chapter and is a proud member of the National Catholic Educational Association.
Lumen Christi High School places among the top 20% of private schools in Alaska for:
- Category Attribute
- Acceptance Rate Lowest average acceptance rates
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA)|
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades 7-12|
|Total Students||73 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 28%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||12 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|Average SAT score||1130|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$7,250|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition varies between Jr. and Sr. High.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$2,500|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Debbie Brewer|
|Total Sports Offered||4 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Soccer, Track and Field, VolleyballBasketball, Soccer,|
Track and Field, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||5 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Archery, National Honor Society Chapter, Student Government, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Attributes of Lumen Graduates:
- Have a worldview centered in the teachings of Jesus Christ
- Are servant leaders in the Church, community, and society
- Strive to live justly and value service to others before self
- Are confident and prepared for life`s challenges
- Communicate effectively, think critically, and solve problems
- 7th and 8th Grade Courses: Theology, Social Studies, Language Arts, PE or Spanish (8th grade), Math and Science
- 9th through 12th Grade: Lumen Christi meets or exceeds
the State of Alaska high school graduation standards.
Students at Lumen are required to earn 22.5 credits to graduate.
- Required Credits: Theology (4 credits); Language Arts (4 credits); Social Studies (4 credits); Mathematics (2.5 credits); Science (3 credits); Physical Education (1 credit); Health (.5 credit); Electives (3.5 credits)
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Anchorage Grades: K-12 | 132 students
1010 W Fireweed Lane
Anchorage, AK 99503
(907)276-5822 3.9 K-12
- Anchorage Grades: PK-6 | 177 students
2901 Huffman Rd
Anchorage, AK 99516
(907)345-3712 4.8 PK-6
- Anchorage Grades: PK-12 | 524 students
6401 E Northern Lights Blvd
Anchorage, AK 99504
(907)337-9575 7.2 PK-12
As a non-Catholic, I was worried my kids would receive either corporal punishment or religious indoctrination. I'm delighted to report that not only have neither of these occurred, but Lumen has surpassed all my expectations of how kids are treated and educated. Both character and academically. Previous ASD teachers would regularly offer my kids time to redo poor test scores or missed homework. Nice for the kid? Yes, but not preparing them for the tough road ahead. Prepare the child for the road, not the road for the child. I was surprised how affordable LC is, and that they now offer a limited bus service to the south side of town. The teachers and staff make Lumen an amazing place and I'm so appreciative we found it.
- Posted by Parent - Rich
We are huge fans of Lumen. Our son is getting an amazing academic curriculum with teachers who sincerely care about his future and well being. We know he will be ready for College and the world when he graduates from Lumen. They truly teach and support confidence, giving, kindness and living up to each student's full potential. I'm excited to see where my child will land after his time at Lumen. I know they are preparing him for a great future!
- Posted by Parent - Laura Butcher
Our child just transferred from Dimond High School to Lumen in the middle of her Sophomore year. She did not do well at public school for a number of reasons so we decided to try a private school. We are Protestant, not Catholic and our daugther currently declares herself as an atheist. Yet, we could not be happier. At first our daugther was very skeptical about the change, but decided only after 4 days at the new school that Lumen was a much better fit and that she did not want to go anywhere else. She has said "everyone at Lumen is just so happy all the time. They really seem to care about me and want me to learn. I can be myself there and they will accept me for who I am. I really feel safe and cared for." She has a brighter and more cheerful attitude. As parents, we are also very impressed with the academic rigor of the school. Our daughter is learning way above what she was before and is motivated to do better. With such small class sizes, the teachers can really teach and not just manage the classroom. We also love that she is learning about Jesus in the midst of her daily routine at school. She seems to be finding her friends and her fit. There does not seem to be many established groups of kids as there is a sense of camaraderie throughout the whole student body. She even likes the uniforms! As parents, we have also been truly welcomed into the school parent environment and other parents have approached us to ask how they can support us and get us involved. Our kids have attended a total of 9 different schools (pre, immersion, jr. high, high school), and the sense of community here is non other than I have seen. I only wish that we had her attend Lumen Christi sooner.
- Posted by Parent - Shel
A fantastic school! We could not be happier with our choice of Lumen Christi for our daughter. It is a great, close, faith-filled school community with plenty to offer academically as well as a number of extra-curricular activities. The cost of tuition is very affordable, and quite a deal considering the costs of other private schools in Anchorage. If you are looking for high-quality, hands-on education with an emphasis on the Catholic faith, Lumen Christi should be the school you choose.
- Posted by Parent - Shane L
I have one son currently at Lumen in 7th grade, and another one who is finishing up 6th grade and will be at Lumen next year. Honestly, son#1 who is very social and craves being with his buddies was reluctant to attend, he only wanted to be at neighborhood public school with his elementary school and neighborhood friends. Within just days of being at Lumen tho, he did an absolute 180. Seriously talks ALL of the time about how much he likes it and often brags (much to the annoyance of his 6th grade brother) how much he is learning. Son #2 has already gone from "Well, #1 might go to Lumen, but I'M going to Romig..." to "When I get to Lumen..." Makes a mom happy! The teachers and staff are caring and dedicated and the Lumen 'family' of parents supporters is amazing. I'd highly encourage anyone on the fence about private education to look into Lumen.
- Posted by Parent - Anne
I have 3 daughters currently attending Lumen Christi. We LOVE the environment, the quality of the teachers and principal. THe opportunities our children have had to try new things but not stray from the importance of a quality education have been so beneficial. We also value the integration of our faith and God into the curriculum and the children's daily lives. THis school is truly the best kept secret in Anchorage.
- Posted by Parent - gotho
Choosing the right private school for your child involves comparing schools as opposed to ranking them.
What is a lab school? It's a K-12 school or school with some variation of those grades which is operated by a university or college.
The COVID-19 has turned our lives upside down. Sending your children back to school raises all sorts of concerns for their safety and education. We answer some of your questions here.