Blue Ridge School
5.00 (1 review)
The Blue Ridge School's a cappella choir, The Barontones, perform at school and in the Charlottesville area.
While Blue Ridge School's sports offerings are extensive, there are options for those who are more interested in art, music, drama, and the outdoors.
Fishing and canoeing on our lake, located in the center of campus, is a great afternoon or weekend option.
Snow on campus is a rare treat. But there is enough snow throughout the winter in the local ski resorts to take students skiing several times a week.
- BRS is an all boys, college preparatory boarding school with grades nine through twelve.
- We are a private school that serves young men who respond well to small classes, a structured environment and a strong sense of community.
- Our teachers challenge each boy to reach beyond his current level of performance and expectation to discover his potential.
- We develop character by nurturing qualities such as integrity, courage, perseverance and empathy.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
Southern Association Of Colleges And Schools (SACS)
Virginia Association of Independent Schools (VAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Dyslexia/Mild Learning Differences|
|Total Students||193 students|
|Student Body Type||All-boys|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 26%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||35 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||10 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||Dual Enrollment Courses with Piedmont Virginia Community College|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(dress pants, jacket and tie)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$47,500|
|Tuition Notes||Baron Scholarships are awarded to five 9th graders each year. The scholarships total $105,000.|
|Admissions Director||Jamie Miller III '91|
|Admissions Associate||Krystle Roach|
|Total Sports Offered||16 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Climbing, Cross Country, Football, Golf, Indoor Soccer, Lacrosse, Mountain Biking, Mountaineering, Rock Climbing, Soccer, Tennis, Track and Field, Weightlifting, WrestlingBaseball, Basketball,|
Climbing, Cross Country,
Indoor Soccer, Lacrosse,
Mountain Biking, Mountaineering,
Rock Climbing, Soccer,
Tennis, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||2 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Arts and Music Programs:|
- The average class size is nine and the average student load per teacher is 40. This allows teachers to give personalized attention and individualize teaching materials for their classes. Blue Ridge School understands that boys learn differently from girls, and the School uses a Learning Model designed specifically for boys.
- Social Activities, the Arts, Clubs, Community Service and Athletics are valuable vehicles for the development of young men. Blue Ridge School offers a number of different co-curricular programs that build self-esteem and develop leadership and teamwork skills.
- Blue Ridge School has been built upon the values of integrity, civility and a strong sense of work ethic. Our Code of Conduct is unique in the way that it is written for both our students and the adult members of our community. Additionally our code incorporates the concept of Brother's Keeper - promoting a peer culture of responsibility and obligation to each other.
- The Blue Ridge School campus is located twenty miles from Charlottesville, Virginia and only 2.5 hours from Washington D.C. and Richmond, Virginia. Our campus, which comprises nearly 800 acres, lies at the foot of the Blue Ridge Mountains.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- CharlottesvilleGrades: 8-12 | 177 students
1000 Samuel Miller Loop
Charlottesville, VA 22903
- CharlottesvilleGrades: PK-12
175 Hickory St
Charlottesville, VA 22902
- CharlottesvilleGrades: NS-12 | 830 students
2132 Ivy Road
Charlottesville, VA 22903
- Woodberry ForestGrades: 9-12 | 397 students
898 Woodberry Forest Rd
Woodberry Forest, VA 22989
- WaynesboroGrades: 7-12 | 169 students
255 South Wayne Avenue
Waynesboro, VA 22980
BRS has provided us with a huge confidence boost regarding our son's academic future, and much of it having to do with his mind set and effort. He always performed well in public school but primarily with teachers that did not focus their attention on forcing our round peg to fit into a square hole. BRS has perhaps a luxury by design of demanding significant structure but with an odd paring of flexibility between teacher/student that we find amazing. I just wanted to share the impact BRS has had on our son's academic future, and in many ways, his personal growth.
- Posted by Parent - hilde
April 20, 2018
Sending your children to a summer program or camp keeps them active in fun-filled settings. We explore your options.
April 19, 2018
We take a detailed look at the three popular early childhood methods to help you determine which one best suits your needs and requirements.
April 10, 2018
There's much more to running a small private school than offering great academics and teaching. Be sure to check under the hood regularly to make sure everything keeps running smoothly.