Fork Union Military Academy
5.00 (2 reviews)
- Fork Union Military Academy in Fork Union, Virginia, is a Christian, college preparatory, military-style boarding school for young men in Grades 7 through 12 and postgraduates.
- Fork Union was founded in 1898 and has a rich tradition promoting character, leadership, and scholarship.
Fork Union Military Academy places among the top 20% of private schools in Virginia for:
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Association of Military Colleges and Schools|
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
State or regional independent school association
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
|Grades Offered||Grades 7-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Mild learning differences with limited resource assistance|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$4,350|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Total Students||343 students|
|Student Body Type||All-boys|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 26%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||43 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|Number of AP Courses||12 courses|
|Advanced Courses||Anatomy and Physiology (4 credits) - Dual Enrollment, AP Biology, AP Calculus (AB), AP Calculus (BC), AP English IV, AP Government, AP U.S. History, Calculus (5 credits) - Dual Enrollment, English Composition (6 credits) - Dual Enrollment, International Relations (6 credits) - Dual Enrollment, Political Science (6 credits) - Dual Enrollment, Pre-Calculus/Trigonometry (5 credits) - Dual Enrollment|
|Average SAT score||1110|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$20,350|
|Tuition Notes||Day Students: $20,350 US Boarding Students: $33,940 International Boarding Students: $42,190|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$14,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Tripp Billingsley|
|Endowment Size||$18 million|
|Total Sports Offered||16 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Diving, Drill Team, Football, Lacrosse, Marksmanship, Martial Arts, Riflery, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Winter Track, WrestlingBaseball, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Diving,
Drill Team, Football,
Martial Arts, Riflery,
Tennis, Track and Field,
Winter Track, Wrestling,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||23 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Boy Scouts of America, Breakfast Club - Christian Study Group, Chess Club, Computer Gaming Club, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, Fishing Club, Global Citizens Club, Honor Council, Interact Club, National Honor Society, National Junior Honor Society, Quadrille Club, Retan Rifles, School Newspaper, School Yearbook, Scuba Club, Woodworking Club
Arts and Music Programs:
Bagpipers, Band, Choir, Chorale, Dramatics
Recreational Athletic Programs:
- Fork Union Military Academy in Fork Union, Virginia, is a Christian, college preparatory, military-style boarding school for young men in Grades 7 through 12 and postgraduates. Fork Union was founded in 1898 and has a rich tradition promoting character, leadership, and scholarship.
- Upper School students follow a unique "One-Subject Plan" of study, concentrating on a single major subject every seven weeks. Middle School students follow a traditional middle school schedule. The mission of Fork Union Military Academy is to provide young men a college preparatory education in a residential, Christian environment.
- Using the best aspects of the military system, the Academy teaches its cadets responsibility, leadership, discipline, and pride by providing an atmosphere in which spiritual, mental, and physical growth can flourish. In addition to our high-quality academics, our athletic program is outstanding. Our school has produced two Heisman Trophy winners (Vinny Testaverde and Eddie George), one Heisman Trophy finalist (Chris Perry), many professional NFL and NBA players, and Olympians.
- Fork Union Military Academy is located within the small village of Fork Union in Central Virginia on a large wooded tract of more than 1,300 acres. This rural setting provides a sanctuary from the noises and bad influences associated with larger cities and suburbs, and gives students wide open spaces for orienteering, cross country, and other outdoor activities. With fewer external distractions, our peaceful, pastoral environment is ideal for this school.Fork Union has a number of endowed scholarships that are awarded to cadets based on various qualifications such as leadership, character, academic performance, and other qualities specific to the scholarship fund.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Woodstock Grades: 5-12
614 South Main St.
Woodstock, VA 22664
(540)459-2167 78.1 5-12
Both of our boys have attended Fork Union. Our youngest in now a senior. The education they have received has provided them with an opportunity to get accepted into elite universities. We could not be happier with quality of academic programs, faculty and support we have received throughout the years. Go FUMA!!
- Posted by Parent - S&C White
FUMA has been absolutely transformative for my son. When he left he was oppositional, undirected, and not doing well in school. Within one year he has become more mature, thoughtful, caring, and he has plans for his future. He is excelling at school and hit the 93rd percentile on the PSAT. I'm astounded by his progress and thrilled at what he's learning at FUMA.
- Posted by Parent - Elizabeth
Choosing the right private school for your child involves comparing schools as opposed to ranking them.
What is a lab school? It's a K-12 school or school with some variation of those grades which is operated by a university or college.
The COVID-19 has turned our lives upside down. Sending your children back to school raises all sorts of concerns for their safety and education. We answer some of your questions here.