Fork Union Military Academy
- Fork Union Military Academy in Fork Union, Virginia, is a Christian, college preparatory, military-style boarding school for young men in Grades 7 through 12 and postgraduates.
- Fork Union was founded in 1898 and has a rich tradition promoting character, leadership, and scholarship.
Fork Union Military Academy places among the top 20% of private schools in Virginia for:
|School Type||Military School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Association of Military Colleges and Schools|
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
State or regional independent school association
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
|Grades Offered||Grades 7-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Mild learning differences with limited resource assistance|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$4,350|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Total Students||343 students|
|Student Body Type||All-boys|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 23%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||43 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|Number of AP Courses||12 courses|
|Advanced Courses||Anatomy and Physiology (4 credits) - Dual Enrollment, AP Biology, AP Calculus (AB), AP Calculus (BC), AP English IV, AP Government, AP U.S. History, Calculus (5 credits) - Dual Enrollment, English Composition (6 credits) - Dual Enrollment, International Relations (6 credits) - Dual Enrollment, Political Science (6 credits) - Dual Enrollment, Pre-Calculus/Trigonometry (5 credits) - Dual Enrollment|
|Average SAT score||1110|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$20,350|
|Tuition Notes||Day Students: $20,350 US Boarding Students: $33,940 International Boarding Students: $42,190|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$14,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Tripp Billingsley|
|Endowment Size||$18 million|
|Total Sports Offered||16 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Diving, Drill Team, Football, Lacrosse, Marksmanship, Martial Arts, Riflery, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Winter Track, WrestlingBaseball, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Diving,
Drill Team, Football,
Martial Arts, Riflery,
Tennis, Track and Field,
Winter Track, Wrestling,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||23 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Boy Scouts of America, Breakfast Club - Christian Study Group, Chess Club, Computer Gaming Club, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, Fishing Club, Global Citizens Club, Honor Council, Interact Club, National Honor Society, National Junior Honor Society, Quadrille Club, Retan Rifles, School Newspaper, School Yearbook, Scuba Club, Woodworking Club
Arts and Music Programs:
Bagpipers, Band, Choir, Chorale, Dramatics
Recreational Athletic Programs:
- Fork Union Military Academy in Fork Union, Virginia, is a Christian, college preparatory, military-style boarding school for young men in Grades 7 through 12 and postgraduates. Fork Union was founded in 1898 and has a rich tradition promoting character, leadership, and scholarship.
- Upper School students follow a unique "One-Subject Plan" of study, concentrating on a single major subject every seven weeks. Middle School students follow a traditional middle school schedule. The mission of Fork Union Military Academy is to provide young men a college preparatory education in a residential, Christian environment.
- Using the best aspects of the military system, the Academy teaches its cadets responsibility, leadership, discipline, and pride by providing an atmosphere in which spiritual, mental, and physical growth can flourish. In addition to our high-quality academics, our athletic program is outstanding. Our school has produced two Heisman Trophy winners (Vinny Testaverde and Eddie George), one Heisman Trophy finalist (Chris Perry), many professional NFL and NBA players, and Olympians.
- Fork Union Military Academy is located within the small village of Fork Union in Central Virginia on a large wooded tract of more than 1,300 acres. This rural setting provides a sanctuary from the noises and bad influences associated with larger cities and suburbs, and gives students wide open spaces for orienteering, cross country, and other outdoor activities. With fewer external distractions, our peaceful, pastoral environment is ideal for this school.Fork Union has a number of endowed scholarships that are awarded to cadets based on various qualifications such as leadership, character, academic performance, and other qualities specific to the scholarship fund.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Charlottesville Grades: PK-12 | 560 students
175 Hickory St
Charlottesville, VA 22902
(434)220-7330 21.6 PK-12
- Charlottesville Grades: 8-12 | 177 students
1000 Samuel Miller Loop
Charlottesville, VA 22903
(434)823-4805 29.5 8-12
- Charlottesville Grades: NS-12 | 893 students
2132 Ivy Road
Charlottesville, VA 22903
(434)296-5106 23.7 NS-12
You have just heard about a new private school opening soon in your area. Should you consider sending your child there? A look at the pros and cons of such a decision.
If you know the answers to all these questions, you probably teach or work in a private school. Be that as it may, these questions contain links with the answers.
As you evaluate schools, take time to explore fully what the schools which you are looking at teach.