- Oakland School is a small co-ed boarding and day program that enables bright children ages 6-13, at admissions, to reach their academic and personal potential through small class sizes and individualized student programs. Our overall student to teacher ratio averages 5:1. Oakland specializes in working with children who have language-based learning differences, organizational difficulties, or those who thrive in a personalized academic setting.
|School Type||Special Education School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Other special emphasis association(s)|
Virginia Association of Independent Schools (VAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades 1-8|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Dyslexia, ADHD, Dysgraphia, Dyscalculia, Social Communication Disorder, Processing, Executive Functioning|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$4,750|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 26%
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||6 teachers|
|Average Class Size||5 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Total Sports Offered||1 sport|
|Sports||Intramural Sports OnlyIntramural Sports Only|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||11 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Arts and Crafts Club, Science and Nature
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Archery, basketball, Equestrian, Indoor soccer, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Volleyball
- Oakland is a small co-educational boarding and day school for children in grades 1-8. We offer an individualized program, ungraded curriculum, and daily one-to-one instruction. Oakland's program is beneficial to students that need to build skills in reading, written language, science, history, and math. The program is well suited for children needing support in study skills, organizational skills, and academic confidence. The small class size (5:1 average student to teacher ratio) is beneficial for students struggling with attention issues or those that get lost in a traditional class setting. Our mission is three-fold: to enable students to successfully return to mainstream education at their appropriate grade level; to provide students with the tools to learn; and to instill in students the confidence required to reach their academic and personal potential. Students participate in a variety of activities that include sports happenings, off campus events, and community projects. Weekly clubs are a great way to foster peer relations, explore interests, and learn a variety of skills. There are three structured study halls per week for boarding students to complete homework and reinforce study and organizational skills. We have a wonderful horseback riding program, which is included for any interested students. Our beautiful 450 acres, surrounding the campus, provides endless opportunities for outdoor activities. For more information on the school and our program please feel free to contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (434) 293-9059.
Profile last updated:
- People that viewed Oakland School also viewed these schools: Blessed Sacrament Huguenot Catholic School.
This is an excellent school! Within a few months my son feels confident and he has declared that his favorite subject is reading. It has changed his life. I encourage parents to consider this school at any point during the year and not delay. I wish I knew about it earlier.
- Posted by Parent - Abraham
Oakland's program is top notch and worth every penny. They gave my child confidence and helped him believe that he could learn. Oakland is the best school ever!
- Posted by Parent - Jacki
Oakland school individualizes each child's education to bring out the ability in each student. When my child attended Oakland for the first time she was struggling with the most basic concepts and reading far below her grade level. After one summer program we saw not only a huge improvement in her scores, but her self confidence and desire to learn had skyrocketed as well. My daughter is a full time student and regularly tells me how much she loves going to school and how excited she is to learn the curriculum. She is reading at grade level and excelling in her math classes. My daughter's entire vision of who she is and what she is capable has changed, she believes she can do anything she wants. Oakland School will always have a place in our hearts as the school that saw the potential in my daughter and helped her see it to!
- Posted by Parent - carri
We couldn't be happier with Oakland. Our daughter has attended for several years and absolutely loves going to school everyday! Her confidence is excellent, thanks to the Oakland environment, made up of truly caring and flexible teachers. And it's not just the teachers who care: the entire staff from the maintenance staff to the chef to the headmaster really work and cheer for these kids. The individualized attention has allowed my daughter to have more time in some subjects and accelerate in others. I have to reiterate what others have stated: Oakland is an outstanding value for such a well-rounded education. Visit campus to experience the welcoming environment and the beautiful grounds.
- Posted by Parent - jenni
Oakland School has made a tremendous difference in my daughter's life. She came there shy and beginning to feel badly about herself because of her difficulties in school. Within a few weeks in the program, I could see her confidence growing and her love of learning returning. The teachers are outstanding. The care about each student and really know how to motivate them to do their best. The administration is very involved. The campus is beautiful. The children are outside everyday and surrounded by trees and grass. My daughter has particularly benefitted from the horseback riding program. She had never riden before she when to Oakland, and she has discovered a love of horses and riding. Working with the horses has further increased her confidence and her strength, flexibility and coordination. Oakland is outstanding and as one other parent said, worth every penny. I would encourage you to go out and visit the school.
- Posted by Parent - lelia
Classes at Oakland are very small-- its overall student-teacher ratio is only 5:1! Every student gets the attention they need to reach their potential.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - acg4e