- Peabody School is an independent school for gifted and acadmically advanced students in Pre-K through 8th grades. Peabody School's mission is to serve the needs of gifted and academically advanced children of all backgrounds by promoting cognitive, social, and emotional development at a rate commensurate with their abilities, while providing a foundation for students to become life-long learners. Peabody School offers the most effective educational experience for gifted learners; a full-time program with their intellectual peers, led by highly skilled and uniquely qualified teachers. Peabody offers a wide-ranging and rigorous curriculum.
- We offer differentiated instruction specially tailored to meet the needs of our students.
- Prospective parents can tour our campus, meet the teachers, and observe classes.
- We welcome the opportunity to show you our school!
Peabody School places among the top 20% of private schools in Virginia for:
- Category Attribute
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
- Student Body Largest student body
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Southern Association of Independent Schools
National Association for the Gifted
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Total Students||213 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 24%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||25 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||9:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||16 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||Algebra I, Algebra II, Biology, French I, French II, Geometry, Spanish I, Spanish II,|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||PreK tuition rate: $13,446 K-3 tuition rate: $16,796 4-5 tuition rate: $17,454 6-8 tuition rate: $17,945|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Diane DeBerry Krehmeyer|
|Total Sports Offered||6 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Soccer, Swimming, Track and Field, VolleyballBasketball, Cross Country,|
Track and Field, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||6 extracurriculars|
Arts and Music Programs:
Art Club, Band and Orchestra, Showchoir, Theate
- Located minutes from Downtown Charlottesville, just off Interstate 64 in Albemarle County, Peabody School has been promoting problem-solving, creativity, and leadership both in and out of the classroom for nearly 25 years. A broad scope of subject matter is taught and opportunities for small group and independent work are offered each day. In small, supportive classrooms, students are equipped with leadership skills and the confidence necessary to meet academic challenges that lie ahead. The Batten Building, offering a Middle School wing, gymnasium, and performance space, opened in fall 2014. Contact us to arrange a visit. peabodyschool.org
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Charlottesville Grades: PK-12
175 Hickory St
Charlottesville, VA 22902
(434)220-7330 0.8 PK-12
- Charlottesville Grades: NS-12 | 893 students
2132 Ivy Road
Charlottesville, VA 22903
(434)296-5106 2.8 NS-12
We have 2 kids at Peabody and they have been there for 5 years. The result has been well-adjusted kids with a robust, positive and worldly outlook. This school seems to focus on one goal educating. They don`t veer off-course into religious dogma and are not dominated by the sports program. Our kids and their friends have healthy relationships with each other and life in general. They are open to people from all walks of life and have developed great social skills even in a small school environment. Make no mistake, Peabody is a high-performance, high-character school and there is student body turnover every year for both behavioral and academic reasons. There is also pretty high educator turnover. I think that teaching at Peabody may burnish a resume` and that is what some teachers use it for. However, in our 5 years, the consistency of the core products; high quality education and ethical character building, have not diminished. This year the Head of School is new and has been impressive. Parents need to clearly establish their expectations/limitations on the homework load. We have found the administrators and teachers responsive to our needs. At Peabody, you will find your great kid surrounded by other great kids. In a region with lots of quality choices, Peabody remains a no-brainer for our family.
- Posted by Parent - Dan Goff
Our daughter, a third grader, has attended Peabody School since Kindergarten. We could not be happier with her experience, and ours, at Peabody. We have watched the Peabody motto, "Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire", come true before our eyes. We have been particularly happy with the individuated learning that takes place - grouping and regrouping of kids not just by subject but by topic - so that everyone has an opportunity to learn exactly what they are ready to learn next. The pace of the curriculum is a good fit for our daughter, keeping her interested and engaged. The "specials" are top-notch - Art, Music, Drama, PE, Technology, Spanish AND French. But the teachers, as always, are really what seal the deal. They are, as a group, superb at what they do, engaged, energetic, creative, and focused. With a supportive administration they are able to create amazing educational experiences - 2nd graders performing Shakespeare, 3rd graders participating in "book clubs, 1st graders leading school meetings - and the list goes on.
- Posted by Parent - lasca
Our older one just graduated from Peabody Middle School and our younger one just entered the Middle School there after three years in the Peabody Elementary School. We could not rave more about their Peabody experience. Both have had exceptional teachers: challenging but supportive, creative and committed. The academic program is challenging but the school makes room for lots of fun, outings, participation in off-campus programs. The specials are diverse and appropriate for all skill levels. Outstanding administrators complements great teachers. Both come up with new ideas every year that add to the school spirit and present further opportunities for the children. We could not wish for a better educational experience for our children! And our older one was superbly prepared for HS.
- Posted by Parent - NVD01
Peabody has been an excellent fit for our two children who were not being challenged at public schools. Teachers are engaging and engaged- willing to redirect classes and spend more time on subjects that students want to explore further, and encouraging children to pursue their individual interests. Although Peabody has a demanding curriculum, teachers are given the latitude to make lessons fun. Example- 2nd Grade Science Class studying physical reactions went outside and dropped Mentos into Diet Coke (and other sodas) to conduct their own, hands-on experiments. Humanities are also weighed heavily and Peabody has top-notch Art, Music and Drama courses.
- Posted by Parent - hdona