Academics and Faculty
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
- Theschool will carefully curate a cohort of 15-18 students who will be supported by 3 teachers throughout the school year as they use Project-Based Learning to explore the 6 Cs:
- CollaborationCommunicationContentCritical ThinkingCreative InnovationConfidence(As outlined in Becoming Brilliant by Kathy Hirsch-Pasek & Roberta Michnick Golinkoff)Within each of these 6 competencies are clusters of standards that are determined by the staff for each emergent project. The standards may reflect Common Core State Standards, local NH school district standards, as well as standards developed within the classroom community.These competencies are explored in three physical spaces within the school: Socratic Space, Tinker Lab, and Outdoor Classroom. Of course, learning does not only occur at school, and parents are welcome to add to the child`s digital portfolio at any time!What tools will be used to support the mastery of these competencies?The staff's training on Project Based Learning (PBL) comes from the Buck Institute for Education (BIE), the "gold standard" in PBL. One great challenge to this kind of self-reflection work is that students don't often practice thinking critically about these competencies. Metacognition, or "thinking about thinking" needs to be taught and frequently practiced. We will help students practice these skills by doing structured protocols from Visible Thinking Routines in the classroom (Harvard Project Zero). The teachers will be trained to initiate these routines throughout the day in order to encourage higher-order thinking skills during real-life conversation among peers. Combining these protocols, conversations with students, teacher-created rubrics and real-time, authentic portfolios, a child's progress is able to be monitored and supported.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does Building Block School cost?
What is the acceptance rate of Building Block School?
What is Building Block School's ranking?
When is the application deadline for Building Block School?
Endorse Building Block School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards