Phillips Exeter Academy
Phillips Exeter Academy Photo #2 - Exeter's campus is surrounded by fields, forests and a quaint New England town with shops and cafes. We are a 50-minute train ride from Boston and the Atlantic coast is just 10 miles away.
Phillips Exeter Academy Photo #3 - This is a community designed to help you make friends. From day one, you're part of a dorm, whether you're a boarder or a day student. Students live in the same dorm all four years, alongside resident advisers and friends of all ages.
Phillips Exeter Academy Photo #4 - Down-time dilemma: It's hard to be bored at Exeter, when you can walk downtown, hang out on the quad or get involved with some of the 100 student-led clubs.
Phillips Exeter Academy Photo #5 - Everyone on campus gathers twice weekly for assembly, a shared cultural experience featuring notable speakers, performances or campus-wide celebrations.
Phillips Exeter Academy Photo #6 - There are no desks, no lectures here. Students learn by listening and collaborating with a diverse group of peers around the Harkness table.
Phillips Exeter Academy Photo #7 - Big Red spirit runs high at Exeter. It's especially on display during sporting events.
Phillips Exeter Academy Photo #8 - Exeter brings together curious students from all over the world and from all backgrounds to learn from each other. You will be at the center of it all, with a community of friends right by your side.
Phillips Exeter Academy Photo #9 - Arts in focus: Our expanded music building now includes a tech suite and concert hall, and a brand-new theater and dance center (shown) shines a spotlight on the performing arts at Exeter.
The founder of Phillips Exeter Academy defined its mission more than two centuries ago.
"Above all," John Phillips stated, "it is expected that the attention of instructors to the disposition of the minds and morals of the youth under their charge will exceed every other care; well considering that though goodness without knowledge is weak and feeble, yet knowledge without goodness is dangerous, and that both united form the noblest character, and lay the surest foundation of usefulness to mankind." It seeks students who combine proven academic ability, intellectual curiosity, and tenacity with decency and good character.
At the Academy, exacting inquiry and thoughtful discourse foster the life of the mind, instruction and activity promote fitness and health, and the daily interactions of a residential school nurture integrity, empathy, and kindness.
Because learning and growth at Exeter arise from each individual's engagement with others, the richness of education here requires diversity in all its dimensions; students and faculty value the differences they bring to the community they share.
- Top Ranked NH School
- Grades: 9-12
- Students: 1,085 students
- Yearly Tuition: $55,402
- Acceptance rate: 15%
- Average class size: 12 students
- Application Deadline: Jan. 15
Phillips Exeter Academy ranks among the top 20% of private schools in New Hampshire for:
School Membership(s)School Assoc.
Offers Post-Graduate Year
Summer School Offered
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 20%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
% Faculty w/Advanced Degree
Average Class Size
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
Yearly Tuition Cost
43,272 for day students
% on Financial Aid
Average Financial Aid Grant
National avg.: 85%
Phillips Exeter Academy
Total Sports Offered
- Phillips Exeter Academy is a co-educational residential school with students from the U.S. and over 30 foreign countries. Exeter has a centuries-old tradition of academic excellence and a commitment to empowering Exonians to find their place in the world.
- We are a community that celebrates curiosity and cultivates potential. With a student-to-teacher ratio of 5:1, more than 450 courses in 18 subject areas, and the opportunity to study on five continents, Exeter provides unparalleled opportunities for discovery and exploration, of both self and subject matter.
- We provide need-based financial aid that makes it possible for talented students to attend Exeter regardless of their family`s finances. Exeter works with families from all economic backgrounds to make tuition affordable. And, an Exeter education is free to any accepted student whose family income is $75,000 or less. We encourage all interested students to apply, regardless of their ability to pay.
Endorse Phillips Exeter Academy. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
So Many Choices
When it comes to choosing a private school, there are so many choices to consider that the project can be a huge challenge to most of us. We offer some help and advice to help you get started.
7 Reasons Why Private School May Be The Right Choice
Private schools come in a wide variety of educational approaches. We show you how to refine your school search.
June 01, 2021What A Teacher Does
A teacher wears many hats. Here's a look at her duties and responsibilities.