Phillips Exeter Academy
Phillips Exeter Academy Photo #2 - This is a community designed to help you make friends. From day one, you're part of a dorm, whether you're a boarder or a day student. Students live in the same dorm all four years, alongside resident advisers and friends of all ages.
Phillips Exeter Academy Photo #3 - Down-time dilemma: It's hard to be bored at Exeter, when you can walk downtown, hang out on the quad or get involved with some of the 100 student-led clubs.
Phillips Exeter Academy Photo #4 - Everyone on campus gathers twice weekly for assembly, a shared cultural experience featuring notable speakers, performances or campus-wide celebrations.
Phillips Exeter Academy Photo #5 - There are no desks, no lectures here. Students learn by listening and collaborating with a diverse group of peers around the Harkness table.
Phillips Exeter Academy Photo #6 - Big Red spirit runs high at Exeter. It's especially on display during sporting events.
Phillips Exeter Academy Photo #7 - Exeter brings together curious students from all over the world and from all backgrounds to learn from each other. You will be at the center of it all, with a community of friends right by your side.
Phillips Exeter Academy Photo #8 - Arts in focus: Our expanded music building now includes a tech suite and concert hall, and a brand-new theater and dance center (shown) shines a spotlight on the performing arts at Exeter.
Phillips Exeter Academy Photo #9 - Exeter students live and learn all over the world by participating in 40 off-campus programs from Iceland (shown) to South Africa to Washington, DC.
- The founder of Phillips Exeter Academy defined its mission more than two centuries ago.
- "Above all," John Phillips stated, "it is expected that the attention of instructors to the disposition of the minds and morals of the youth under their charge will exceed every other care; well considering that though goodness without knowledge is weak and feeble, yet knowledge without goodness is dangerous, and that both united form the noblest character, and lay the surest foundation of usefulness to mankind." It seeks students who combine proven academic ability, intellectual curiosity, and tenacity with decency and good character.
- At the Academy, exacting inquiry and thoughtful discourse foster the life of the mind, instruction and activity promote fitness and health, and the daily interactions of a residential school nurture integrity, empathy, and kindness.
- Because learning and growth at Exeter arise from each individual's engagement with others, the richness of education here requires diversity in all its dimensions; students and faculty value the differences they bring to the community they share.
Phillips Exeter Academy places among the top 20% of private schools in New Hampshire for:
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
State or regional independent school association
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||1085 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 15%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||215 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 15|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$55,402|
|Tuition Notes||43,272 for day students|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$35,313|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||John Hutchins|
|Admissions Associate||Phillips Exeter Academy|
|Total Sports Offered||22 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Cycling, Dance, Diving, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Water Polo, Winter Track, WrestlingBaseball, Basketball,|
Crew, Cross Country,
Diving, Field Hockey,
Ice Hockey, Lacrosse,
Tennis, Track and Field,
Volleyball, Water Polo,
Winter Track, Wrestling,
- Phillips Exeter Academy is a co-educational residential school with students from the U.S. and over 30 foreign countries. Exeter has a centuries-old tradition of academic excellence and a commitment to empowering Exonians to find their place in the world.
- We are a community that celebrates curiosity and cultivates potential. With a student-to-teacher ratio of 5:1, more than 450 courses in 18 subject areas, and the opportunity to study on five continents, Exeter provides unparalleled opportunities for discovery and exploration, of both self and subject matter.
- We provide need-based financial aid that makes it possible for talented students to attend Exeter regardless of their family`s finances. Exeter works with families from all economic backgrounds to make tuition affordable. And, an Exeter education is free to any accepted student whose family income is $75,000 or less. We encourage all interested students to apply, regardless of their ability to pay.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Concord Grades: 9-12 | 539 students
325 Pleasant Street
Concord, NH 03301
(603)229-4700 34.7 9-12
- Groton Grades: 8-12 | 380 students
282 Farmers Row
Groton, MA 01450
(978)448-3363 42.7 8-12
- Deerfield Grades: 9-12 | 648 students
7 Boyden Lane
Deerfield, MA 01342
(413)774-1400 89.1 9-12
- Byfield Grades: 9-12 | 423 students
1 Elm St
Byfield, MA 01922
(978)465-1763 16.3 9-12
SSAT and ISEE scores are one part of the total picture which most private school admissions staff review. These standardized tests reveal what you have learned in key mastery areas.
Do you think your son has a learning disability? Not sure what to do? A special needs school might be the way to go.
You thought everything was set. The test scores were excellent. She had glowing teacher recommendations. The visit and the interview went well. But the school didn't accept your child. What do you do now?