- Conserve School is a semester school for high school juniors and advanced sophomores focused on the theme of environmental stewardship.
- Attending Conserve School gives high school students a one-semester opportunity to step out of their regular school and into an exceptional educational setting, while still continuing their required academic studies.
- Conserve School's challenging, college preparatory curriculum immerses students in environmental history, nature literature, and the science of conservation. Because Conserve School is located on a 1,200-acre wilderness campus, a significant portion of the curriculum is delivered via outdoors, hands-on, active learning.
Conserve School places among the top 20% of private schools in Wisconsin for:
- Category Attribute
- Acceptance Rate Lowest average acceptance rates
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
|Grades Offered||Grades 10-11|
|Total Students||60 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 31%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||7 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||9:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||15 students|
|Number of AP Courses||1 course|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Environmental Science|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Feb. 15|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$25,000|
|Tuition Notes||Financial aid is available.|
National avg.: 85%
|Endowment Size||$150 million|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||3 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Recreational Athletic Programs:|
Canoeing, Hiking, Outdoor Activities
- Conserve School is a non-sectarian semester school aimed at students who feel a strong attachment to the natural world and who are motivated to conserve it. This semester-long immersion in environmental studies and outdoor activities deepens students' love of nature, reinforces their commitment to conservation, and equips them to take meaningful action as environmental stewards.
- The program interweaves college-preparatory academics with: the study of environmental history, nature literature, and the science of conservation, environmental service work, exploration of careers related to conservation, training in teamwork and leadership, and engagement with the outdoors.
- Designed primarily for high school juniors, Conserve School incorporates the flexibility to accommodate advanced sophomores.
- Conserve School students become part of a community that heightens their sense of identity and self-worth and imparts the confidence they need to go forward and make a difference, not only as stewards of the environment, but also as stewards of their own destinies.
- Conserve School is accredited by the North Central Association Commission on Accreditation and School Improvement (NCA CASI), an accrediation division of AdvancED.
- Conserve School is a 2014 U.S. Department of Education Green Ribbon Schools Awardee
Nearby Private Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Eagle River Grades: K-8 | 30 students
201 North 3rd St.
Eagle River, WI 54521
(715) 479-8284 17.3 K-8
- Minocqua Grades: NS-8 | 50 students
8781 Brunswick Rd
Minocqua, WI 54548
(715) 356-2255 25.5 NS-8
- Iron River Grades: 1-12 | 9 students
107 N 5th Avenue
Iron River, MI 49935
(906) 265-5034 33 1-12
- Rhinelander Grades: K-7 | 12 students
123 E Monico St
Rhinelander, WI 54501
(715) 369-2098 35.5 K-7
Incredible experience for my student - came back a student who was far more engaged in the works around her. Staff was tremendous - couldn't have asked for a better experience!
- Posted by Parent - Kristina
Conserve School is an experience of a lifetime. The teachers really know their classes. They don't just flip through the book but they give you the extra they have learned or experienced themselves. There is always something to do, whether it is homework, fishing, hiking, or a pick up game of frisbee. It gave me far more than I ever expected. I always explain it to my friends as Hippy Hogwarts. I highly recommend Conserve School for anyone who has a passion for the outdoors.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - jack1
For Juniors and Sophomores who want a break from so called "traditional" education, are passionate about the environment and the outdoors, and want to learn in the company of fantastic, caring faculty: this is where you need to go. Even the bad days are good (well, unless you contract bronchitis. Then it's hard to have a good time.). What you learn will impact you and stay with you forever. As for non-academics, food service caters to nearly every dietary restriction. I loved going to Conserve. If you have the opportunity: apply. I don't think you''ll regret it.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - loo-s
Conserve School was an AMAZING opportunity! I attended CS5 and it was one of the best decisions that I have made so far! The classes are by far some of the most interesting that I have taken and the teachers absolutely love what they do. The campus is beautiful and there is always something to do. There are practice rooms for musicians, art classes for the artists, and an astonishing gymnasium and rec center that contains everything from a dance studio to a racquetball court! Every weekend at least one of the Grad fellows or teachers will take a group of students on an activity or trip around the area. The school inspires environmental stewardship which is something that I think is important for EVERYONE to take interest in especially in today's day and age. All I can say is to apply! It's totally worth it and you will love the time that you spend there!
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Pengu
This school was life-changing. The staff and facilities were amazing, there's so much to do, and I learned so many things about the environment. I highly recommend Conserve School to any outgoing, outdoorsy, or environmental student!
- Posted by Student/Alumni - larki
The academic program is fantastic and the teachers are great and really try to connect with students. There are no official sports teams but many games and activities to participate in. The art classes are really great, there are no music classes, but there are practice rooms and pianos available. It is a really great experience for any outgoing nature-loving student.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - mizzl
This school is amazing! The teachers are delightful and knowledgeable, the campus is beyond beautiful, and the facilities are very nice. If you are passionate about the outdoors, this school is for you.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - neene
I attended CS6, and it was without a doubt the best experience of my life thus far. Not only was it an AMAZING educstion opportunity, but incredibly fun! I made friends and memories to last a lifetime, learned far more than I ever though possible in one semester, gained valuable experience if independence (living in dorms away from home), and had an AMAZING time. I would highly recommend it to ANYONE without a second thought.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - nwagn