Immanuel Lutheran School
- Training the next generation of classical thinkers. Immanuel Lutheran School is a classical Christian academy serving students and families from throughout the Northern Virginia and DC metro area for over 70 years at our campus on Russell Road in Alexandria.
- Our students enjoy a rich academic environment that includes high academic expectations, small class sizes, Shurley grammar, Saxon mathematics, classical literature, Latin, science, weekly chapel services, Christian character formation, world and American history, music, art and much more.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Association of Classical and Christian Schools (ACCS)|
Other religious school association(s)
Other special emphasis association(s)
National Lutheran Schools Accreditation
|Religious Affiliation||Lutheran Church Missouri Synod|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Total Students||191 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 23%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||18 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||11:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||19 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(Uniform information available upon request)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 24 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$11,758|
|Tuition Notes||Discounts for: Military, Multi-student, Church membership Jr.Kindergarten program tuition ($6,641)|
|% on Financial Aid|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Whitney Work|
|Total Sports Offered||2 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, SoccerBasketball, Soccer,|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||23 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Chess Club, Coding, Drawing Club, Guitar Lessons, House System, Journalism Club, Knitting Club, Latin Club, Math Club, MathCounts Team, Patrols, Robotics, Student Ambassador Program, Student Newspaper, tutoring
Arts and Music Programs:
Choir, handbells, Musical Theater, Piano Lessons, Talent Show, Violin Lessons, Voice Lessons
Recreational Athletic Programs:
- A classical school has many distinctives that set it apart from the average classroom experience. There is emphasis on the liberal arts, the development of language and the knowledge of culture. By engaging students in a "conversation" with the past, classical education familiarizes them with the developments and culture of Western Civilization. Through this process, students become well-versed in the great works of literature, music, and art as well as in science and math.
- Most of the material used at Immanuel is advanced by at least one grade level. Our accelerated curriculum not only gives students a jump start on developing crucial cognitive and analytical skills, but also challenges them to expect more of themselves in school, as well as in life. Formal studies in Latin begin in the 3rd grade, and by the 7th grade, our students are using the same curriculum used to teach college Latin.
- Our curriculum also strives to nurture the body and soul. All classes are taught through the lens of the Biblical Worldview. The memorization and recitation of Bible verses, the Lord`s Prayer, hymns, the Apostles` Creed, and sections of Luther`s Small Catechism are all part of the daily classroom regimen. The Physical Education program stresses the wellness of the body to support an active mind.
- At Immanuel, we believe there should be cohesion and correlation between the material taught from grade to grade. Our curriculum is designed to build upon the material taught in the years before. This way, the student is building upon their understanding of the subject matter, rather than storing loads of unconnected facts. From neatness in penmanship to courtesy in the classroom, we hold our students to the highest standards in all areas, and place great emphasis on Christian character formation, as well as the importance of being good citizens.
- Lower School students at ILS happily absorb, memorize, recite, and write the basic facts and rules on which the rest of their student vocations build. In the Grammar stage, our classrooms are abuzz with the recitation of scripture and catechism, studious chanting of Math and Grammar rules, and expressive reading of great Literature.
- In addition to academics, the students practice the School Standards of Truth, Love, Honor, Faithfulness and Excellence from the foundation of each, enabling them to see and do the most basic tasks of academia and virtue. From Jr. Kindergarten on up, ILS Lower School students learn and discuss how they are each simul iustus et Peccator, sinner and Saint, inherently flawed but forgiven and loved by God. They are also taught from their first year how they have a responsibility to serve God and love others.
- Lower School classrooms are filled with joyful chants and songs, bright with the work and wonder of our students. We rejoice in the curiosity of our students` minds and the love they express to their families, their teachers, and one another. Join us for a story or a Grammar Jingle to see what a day in the life of the Lower School includes.
- Our philosophy embraces a truly classical liberal arts approach, full of reading, writing, and discussion. Our students study the Socratic model of learning as they prepare for and enter the dialectic stage of their development. This trains our students in speaking, thinking, and writing so that they can become expressive, clear, and organized.
- By studying subjects increasingly unique to modern students-such as Latin, logic, and the scope of world history-Upper School students at ILS are taught to look beyond themselves, their own times, and their own culture. Yet knowledge of facts is not enough. A fully formed person will have wisdom and charity in addition to knowledge. Our school seeks to support parents in guiding the student on this path to virtue.
- Most importantly, the Word of God is a constant presence in our school; as a regular and daily feature of the life of the school, prayer, worship, and the proclamation of the Gospel will frame classroom instruction and discussion. Our prayer is that each and every one of our students lives out their various vocations, with love and service to their neighbor, in response to the love and mercy God shows each of us.
- Our days are busy and full of learning, whether that is intellectual, spiritual, emotional and social, or physical. You are invited to come visit with us! Observe classes, talk to our students, and ask questions of our teachers.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Alexandria Grades: PK-6 | 97 students
6300 Florence Ln
Alexandria, VA 22310
(703)960-3498 3.1 PK-6
- Alexandria Grades: NS-12 | 1128 students
1000 Saint Stephens Road
Alexandria, VA 22304
(703)212-2704 1.9 NS-12
- Mc Lean Grades: PK-6 | 231 students
1711 Kirby Road
Mc Lean, VA 22101
(703)790-1049 8.3 PK-6
We take a detailed look at the three popular early childhood methods to help you determine which one best suits your needs and requirements.
This article aggregates all the articles I have written about running a small private school. Use it as a handbook and a reminder of things you should look at from time to time.
Ever wish you could pick the brain of A+ students? Well, we did it for you — we spoke with dozens of students and educators to find out their secrets for success.