International School of Texas
- International School of Texas is a non-profit, independent private school serving the areas of Bee Cave, Lakeway, Steiner Ranch, Four Points, River Place, Westlake and the surrounding communities.
- The school`s mission is to provide students with rigorous academics while growing global citizens and global leaders.
- This is accomplished through:-The integration of the International Baccalaureate Program and a high quality, unique, International Curriculum including the renowned British National Curriculum and Singapore math.-Modern Foreign Languages including Spanish and Mandarin-Healthy eating program with lunch provided daily-STEM/Inquiry Lab-Music and Physical EducationOur children are Internationally educated, Socially aware and Tomorrow`s leaders.
- We teach them to be global citizens and global leaders through a curriculum that emphasizes honesty, integrity, hard work and respect of each other`s differences, both in and out of the classroom.Serving students Age 2- Middle School.
- Also offering a half-day & 3 day Early Childhood Program.Join us and you`ll see why This is IST.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||International Baccalaureate (IB) World School|
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-6|
|Total Students||141 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||26 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1|
National avg.: 13:1
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Admissions Director||Mary Strange|
|Total Sports Offered||4 sports|
|Sports||Cheering, Cross Country, Drill Team, SoccerCheering, Cross Country,|
Drill Team, Soccer,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||7 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Art Club, Fun Friday Club, Music Club, Robotics Club, Robotics Junior, Yearbook Club
Arts and Music Programs:
- We are always delighted to hear from families who feel that International School of Texas may be a good fit for their children. Please feel free to visit our website or to contact us directly to find out more about our Admissions Process. We look forward to welcoming you!
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Austin Grades: PK-3 | 58 students
15099 Debba Dr
Austin, TX 78734
(512)266-6626 2.2 PK-3
- Austin Grades: PK-K | 50 students
11124 Jollyville Rd
Austin, TX 78759
(512)342-1033 10.7 PK-K
- Austin Grades: PK-8 | 579 students
9400 Neenah Avenue
Austin, TX 78717
(512)246-4455 11.4 PK-8
- Cedar Park Grades: NS | 72 students
2006 Sunchase Blvd
Cedar Park, TX 78613
(512)250-3000 7.4 NS
My two boys attend the International School of Texas (IST), and my husband and I are very happy with the school. There are three main reasons we chose IST.1) Excellent Teachers I searched for a school where my sons could learn in a small class environment and spend most of the class time interacting with the teacher and classmates. IST is one of the only schools in the Austin area (besides Waldorf and a handful of other smaller options) that does not use screens in the classroom on a regular basis. Class work is usually done on paper in groups or individually and then discussed aloud. The teachers follow an established IB curriculum, yet they have enough freedom to tailor the lessons to the students' interests. At IST my sons are excited to learn and understand the context of what they're learning. In addition, IST has excellent music, P.E., STEM, and art teachers. Every year the choir concert brings me to tears.2) Healthy Food Both my sons follow a special diet, and IST is very accommodating. Every student eats the same food catered by HEB, and my sons' snacks and lunches are modified so they can eat the same food as everyone else. My sons' teachers are aware of the diet and help make birthday and holiday celebrations inclusive for my kids. Both IST teachers and parents recognize that a healthy diet means happy kids, and classroom celebrations are not sugar free-for-alls. For the past two years, Valentine's Day has been candy free in one of my son's classrooms (it's up to the teacher).3) Strong, Diverse Community I also love the community at IST. There are several community events during the year such as: Popsicles on the playground, Halloween dance, Thanksgiving picnic, gingerbread decorating, Holi celebration, Cinco de Mayo picnic, and school graduation. The Parent League is very active and does a lot of work on the annual gala. I enjoy attending the events and meeting all the parents. My sons know every child's name at the school since the grades often mingle on house days or classrooms mix to give the older kids leadership opportunities. Many kids come to IST because they may not fit in elsewhere, and the inclusive environment is noticeable. The campus itself is also beautiful. When I first drove up to the school, I was impressed by the grounds, the nature walk, and the lake view. A beautiful community thrives in a beautiful place.I would like to address some of the negative reviews below. Fundraising is a focus at the school (like all private schools), and the administration does ask parents to contribute to the annual campaign and the middle school building campaign. What was not stated in prior reviews is that while the administration asks that 100% of parents (and staff) donate to the annual campaign, the amount can be as little as $1. Part of the community spirit is that everyone gives what they can in time and money.Overall I feel very lucky that IST is in the neighborhood, and I highly recommend it to other parents.
- Posted by Parent - Camille H.
I cannot say enough good things about this school and community. My older son was succeeding in public school, but I knew he could be happier and do better. Our search ended when he visited IST for a day and I immediately saw how happy and engaged and welcomed he was. Fast forward, and he is thriving. Learning Spanish and Mandarin, an active member of the competitive Robotics team, and on the senior soccer team. He is showing a maturity of thought that has been deepened by the school's commitment to teaching our students to safeguard and protect our natural resources, learn about and respect all cultures, and conduct themselves with integrity and caring. I have always known (as we do) that my son has the potential to change the world. At IST, he is becoming that person and enjoying the journey.
- Posted by Parent - hdbernard
Abercorn International School in Austin, TX is an extraordinary school. I know the leaders and owners of this organization and they are people of great integrity. This is reflected in all aspects of their facilities and curriculum - in their course of studies which are current and in keeping with the demands of a global focus and community, in the facilities themselves which are state of the art and, of course, in the healthy meals provided by Whole Foods. My son will soon need choose a school for his children andI will enthusiastically recommend Abercorn International to him! I support the values demonstrated by this fine educational institution - they provide a much needed perspective if we are to continue to thrive in ever growing global opportunities.
- Posted by Teacher - donna
this is a fantastic school that offers my children a great education. the teachers are amazing, I love the languages and I love the warm, nurturing atmosphere that is provided. I researched this school in depth before sending my child here and I have been delighted by the experience my child has had. I cant recommend it highly enough.
- Posted by Parent - tripc