John Dewey Academy
5.00 (2 reviews)
Tel: (413) 528-9800
- Housed in historic Searles Castle in Great Barrington, Massachusetts, the John Dewey Academy is a coeducational college preparatory boarding school with a strong therapeutic component.
- Our mission is to provide intensive, individualized instruction and therapy to alienated, angry, self-destructive, but bright adolescents.
- This approach inspires students to use, rather than to continue to abuse, their talents.
- This vision is admittedly an ambitious one: we aim to restore hope, to rebuild families, and to transform students' lives.
|School Type||Alternative School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||State or regional independent school association|
|Grades Offered||Grades 10-12|
|Total Students||12 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 23%
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||6 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||2:1|
National avg.: 13:1
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
- Housed in historic Searles Castle in Great Barrington, Massachusetts, the John Dewey Academy is a coeducational college preparatory boarding school with a strong therapeutic component. Our mission is to provide intensive, individualized instruction and therapy to alienated, angry, self-destructive, but bright adolescents. This approach inspires students to use, rather than to continue to abuse, their talents. This vision is admittedly an ambitious one: we aim to restore hope, to rebuild families, and to transform students' lives.
Nearby Private Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Great Barrington Grades: PK-8 | 184 students
38 W Plain Rd
Great Barrington, MA 01230
(413) 528-4015 2.3 PK-8
- Housatonic Grades: Inquire with school | 22 students
249 N Plain Rd
Housatonic, MA 01236
(413) 528-2523 4.9 Inquire with school
- Stockbridge Grades: 9-12 | 52 students
14 Pine Street
Stockbridge, MA 01262 7.2 9-12
- Lee Grades: PK-8 | 156 students
115 Orchard St
Lee, MA 01238
(413) 243-1079 10.3 PK-8
The John Dewey Academy re-boots kids who I can only describe as "gifted Removedups." Extraordinary teachers and counselors - an extraordinary student body from around the world - a unique academic and social cirriculum and an incredible invigorating environment... nowhere else on earth. I attribute Dewey with rescuing my son and setting him on the path to the success at a top university and the happy, motivated, young adulthood he'senjoying. Thank you. ("Thank you" is not enough!)
- Posted by Parent - tidyt
This school saved my son's life. The faculty and staff are incredibly talented. The peer based model got through to our son when nothing else worked. He has now learned new, productive behaviors and he is doing very well in his second year at Dewey. We love this school and give it our highest recommendation.
- Posted by Parent - mss7
Now that school has safely reopened, what can we parents do to support and encourage the schools we care about so much?
Sending your child to a single-sex school is one of several options you have when it comes to private schools.
This article aims to show you where to look for information about school reopening protocols, school reopening communications, schools that have closed, and schools with COVID-19 cases, among other COVID-19 related issues.