John Dewey Academy
5.00 (2 reviews)
- Housed in historic Searles Castle in Great Barrington, Massachusetts, the John Dewey Academy is a coeducational college preparatory boarding school with a strong therapeutic component.
- Our mission is to provide intensive, individualized instruction and therapy to alienated, angry, self-destructive, but bright adolescents.
- This approach inspires students to use, rather than to continue to abuse, their talents.
- This vision is admittedly an ambitious one: we aim to restore hope, to rebuild families, and to transform students' lives.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||State or regional independent school association|
|Grades Offered||Grades 10-12|
|Total Students||17 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 23%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||6 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||3:1|
National avg.: 13:1
Nearby Private Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Great BarringtonGrades: PK-8 | 196 students
38 W Plain Rd
Great Barrington, MA 01230
- HousatonicGrades: UG | 20 students
249 N Plain Rd
Housatonic, MA 01236
- SheffieldGrades: 9-12 | 394 students
245 North Undermountain Road
Sheffield, MA 01257
- LeeGrades: PK-8 | 160 students
115 Orchard St
Lee, MA 01238
- LenoxGrades: PK-12 | 60 students
Po Box 1980, 259 Kemble St
Lenox, MA 01240
The John Dewey Academy re-boots kids who I can only describe as "gifted Removedups." Extraordinary teachers and counselors - an extraordinary student body from around the world - a unique academic and social cirriculum and an incredible invigorating environment... nowhere else on earth. I attribute Dewey with rescuing my son and setting him on the path to the success at a top university and the happy, motivated, young adulthood he'senjoying. Thank you. ("Thank you" is not enough!)
- Posted by Parent - tidyt
This school saved my son's life. The faculty and staff are incredibly talented. The peer based model got through to our son when nothing else worked. He has now learned new, productive behaviors and he is doing very well in his second year at Dewey. We love this school and give it our highest recommendation.
- Posted by Parent - mss7
October 18, 2017
The Seattle area is home to many fine private schools as well as to major companies such as Microsoft, Boeing and Starbucks.
September 30, 2017
Scandals in private school are bound to raise questions for those of us thinking about sending our children to private school. Regardless of how sensational these scandals may appear, they are actually few and far between.
September 29, 2017
Parents have many reasons for deciding to take their children out of public school and enrolling them in private school. This circumstance is something which can happen at any stage of your child's education.