Kamehameha Schools Hawaii Campus
- Founded in 1887, Kamehameha Schools is a statewide educational system supported by a $6.2 billion trust, endowed by Princess Bernice Pauahi Bishop.
- The system includes K-12 campuses on O‘ahu, Hawai‘i, and Maui, and 31 preschool sites statewide.
- The combined 6,715 preschool through grade 12 student enrollment makes Kamehameha the largest independent school system in the United States.
- Kamehameha Schools gives preference to children of Hawaiian ancestry to the extent permitted by law.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Other school association(s)|
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-12|
|Total Students||1,136 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||135 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1|
National avg.: 13:1
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Keaau Grades: NS-8 | 116 students
15-1834 Maku'u Drive
Keaau, HI 96749
(808)982-7701 1.3 NS-8
- Hilo Grades: PK-8 | 185 students
190 Ululani St
Hilo, HI 96720
(808)961-5026 8.2 PK-8
- Hilo Grades: K-8 | 340 students
162 Baker Avenue
Hilo, HI 96720
(808)982-6885 8.2 K-8
Most private schools have endowment funds. We explain how these work and why schools are fortunate to have them in tough times.
COVID-19 has turned education at every level upside-down, inside-out. We offer some steps to guide your planning for academic year 2020-21.
Teachers and parents are concerned about the teaching that will take place post-pandemic. I have tried to cover their concerns in the following set of questions and answers.