Maine Coast Semester at Chewonki
5.00 (2 reviews)
- Maine Coast Semester at Chewonki offers a select number of 11th-grade students the chance to live and work on a 400-acre saltwater peninsula, with the goal of exploring the natural world through rigorous courses in natural science, environmental issues, literature, history, mathematics, languages and studio art.
- Each semester, we create an intentional and highly engaged community comprised of 42 exceptional students and 15 faculty members.
- In our college-preparatory semester school, we push students to produce top-quality academic work as well as to think broadly about the value, importance, and meaning of their education.
- Maine Coast Semester students return to their sending schools with increased self-confidence, an appreciation for the rewards and responsibilities of community living, a strong sense of ownership for their education, and enhanced skills.
- At its heart, Maine Coast Semester is an academic program that challenges students` thinking, asking them to go deeper into learning.
- We also ask students to participate in an intentional community of peers and teachers in a natural setting, so our graduates come away with more than just an incredible education.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
|Grades Offered||Grades 11|
|Total Students||42 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 11%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||15 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||3:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||7 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Feb. 15 / rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition changes yearly, but is roughly equivalent to the cost of a semester at a New England boarding school.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$14,500|
|Admissions Director||Sheryl Stearns|
|Admissions Associate||Alexis Grillo|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||2 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Decomposers (a capella group), Yearbook|
- Maine Coast Semester at Chewonki is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges
This program was the most incredible experience that my daughter has had academically and socially. The teachers, the Maine Coast, the Outward Bound meets challenging academics was by far life changing. Her view on the world has opened up and her appreciation for the world around her and the environment is beyond amazing. She became her most authentic self and I am so proud of her to have made the decision to apply, accept and meet the demands of this program. I would recommend this to anyone with a rising Junior.
- Posted by Parent - NA
The Chewonki Semester School was probably the most fulfilling experience of my academic career. The teachers and students are among the wisest and most thoughtful group of people I have ever encountered. Classes were all discussion based and incredibly stimulating. GO. You won't regret it.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - allkn
We take a detailed look at the three popular early childhood methods to help you determine which one best suits your needs and requirements.
This article aggregates all the articles I have written about running a small private school. Use it as a handbook and a reminder of things you should look at from time to time.
Ever wish you could pick the brain of A+ students? Well, we did it for you — we spoke with dozens of students and educators to find out their secrets for success.