Mcdonald Montessori School
5.00 (3 reviews)
Tel: (757) 423-1800
- The Montessori Method is an all-inclusive method of educating children.
- Dr. Maria Montessori identified and named this remarkable method. Her vision reached far beyond the mere transmission of knowledge.
- Dr. Montessori saw the environment as the source to develop and release the full potential of people, most specifically children.
- The Montessori curriculum encompasses all aspects of human development. McDonald Montessori is affiliated with the American Montessori Society, also known as AMS. AMS is a professional organization that monitors Montessori schools who choose to be members.
- All of McDonald Montessori's strives to meet the academic, social, emotional, and developmental needs of the child through a Montessori environment preparing the child to emerge as an independent and confident member of the community.
- All of McDonald Montessori's lead staff are accredited Montessori teachers.
- Each teacher teaches to the age group for which they are accredited and certified to teach.
- All support staff are trained and educated on the Montessori philosophy and method.
|School Type||Montessori School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||American Montessori Society (AMS)|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-3|
|Total Students||57 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 26%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||4 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||14:1|
National avg.: 13:1
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Norfolk Grades: PK-8 | 124 students
610 Mowbray Arch
Norfolk, VA 23507
(757) 622-8174 2.1 PK-8
- Norfolk Grades: PK-K | 158 students
820 Colonial Ave
Norfolk, VA 23507
(757) 625-0667 2 PK-K
- Virginia Beach Grades: NS-5 | 114 students
1305 Windmill Point Crescent
Virginia Beach, VA 23453
(757) 468-0099 11.7 NS-5
- Virginia Beach Grades: PK-3 | 134 students
3928 Pacific Ave
Virginia Beach, VA 23451
(757) 428-1034 16.6 PK-3
I am a very protective mother and have endured very difficult situations at a few schools with my daughter. When I came here to Norfolk on orders I was extremely nervous about finding not only a safe environment but a caring one as well. THIS school is by far the SAFEST school in Hampton Roads. The owner of this school truly cares about each and every child's well being and definitely keeps her children safe. My daughter has improved academically here within the first few months she attended. She has been there 2 years now and has shown improvement in her reading, writing, and willingness to learn. I love the student/teacher ratio. I believe a smaller ratio gives more time for one on one to help the children feel not rushed about trying to learn new lessons. The only con I see is that McDonald Montessori only goes up to 3rd grade! I cant get enough of Ellen and her love for her students. Absolutely the BEST!
- Posted by Parent - HelicopterMom
We have been a McDonald Montessori family for 6 years, and cannot say enough nice things about the program. The teachers and staff are some of the most caring individuals I have met anywhere. After six years, they feel more like family than teachers. The small environment of the school allows a lot of personal interaction and both of my children have developed wonderful relationships with all of their teachers. There is wonderful focus on not only education, but also on manners and character. While a caring environment is our biggest priority, the education at McDonald Montessori has been top notch. Both of our children were reading at the beginning of their third year. More importantly, they both developed a very deep love of learning and were excited about what they were learning. There were weekend days where they would cry because they couldn't go to school! When our first child left McDonald Montessori, he moved to another private school where he was ahead of the rest of the class. We truly feel that McDonald Montessori has done a phenomenal job at preparing our children. We are very grateful that we found such a caring and well-structured program!
- Posted by Parent - mouak
I have been teaching Montessori for 30 years. My favorite aspect of the Montessori approach is the three year cycle. I love watching the growth and development of the children over this three year cycle. Watching a beginner reader become a fluent strong reader, or a shy child become outgoing and comfortable speaking and performing infront of others is very exciting and rewarding.
- Posted by Teacher - atsta
If you live outside the United States, choosing an American private school can be a confusing process. Here is an overview of the process.
Many people thought vouchers would never amount to much. Not only have they amounted to a great deal more than anybody could have thought, but vouchers have encouraged several more education choices to flourish.
Now that school has safely reopened, what can we parents do to support and encourage the schools we care about so much?