Model Secondary School For The Deaf
- Kendall Demonstration Elementary School (KDES) and the Model Secondary School for the Deaf (MSSD) serve deaf and hard of hearing students from infancy through high school.
- We are the federally mandated demonstration schools of the Laurent Clerc National Deaf Education Center, at Gallaudet University.
- KDES/MSSD, a community with diversity at its core, challenges each student to achieve personal excellence in academics, communication, thinking skills, emotional intelligence and life planning in order to become a self-directed, contributing member of society.
- Using American Sign Language and English, students are active partners in their individualized education program.
- We explore effective approaches to teaching and learning that we share with families and professionals throughout the country.
- We believe that the development of the whole child is essential and that each child has unique interests, needs, and abilities.
- We believe that all children who are deaf or hard of hearing can learn, achieve, and be responsible for their education.
- We believe that a student's positive sense of self is critical for school achievement and success throughout life.
|School Type||Special Education School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Council for Exceptional Children|
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Total Students||164 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 48%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||27 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
Nearby Private Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Washington Grades: PK-8 | 112 students
800 Florida Ave Ne
Washington, DC 20002 0.1 PK-8
- Washington Grades: PK-8 | 241 students
1217 West Virginia Avenue Ne
Washington, DC 20002
(202)397-1614 0.2 PK-8
- Washington Grades: PK-8 | 249 students
1135 New Jersey Avenue Nw
Washington, DC 20001
(202)638-5789 1.1 PK-8
- Washington Grades: K-8 | 128 students
806 Rhode Island Ave Ne
Washington, DC 20018
(202)526-5176 1.2 K-8
Nearby Homes for Sale
Most private schools have endowment funds. We explain how these work and why schools are fortunate to have them in tough times.
COVID-19 has turned education at every level upside-down, inside-out. We offer some steps to guide your planning for academic year 2020-21.
Teachers and parents are concerned about the teaching that will take place post-pandemic. I have tried to cover their concerns in the following set of questions and answers.