Model Secondary School For The Deaf
Tel: (202) 651-5031
- Kendall Demonstration Elementary School (KDES) and the Model Secondary School for the Deaf (MSSD) serve deaf and hard of hearing students from infancy through high school.
- We are the federally mandated demonstration schools of the Laurent Clerc National Deaf Education Center, at Gallaudet University.
- KDES/MSSD, a community with diversity at its core, challenges each student to achieve personal excellence in academics, communication, thinking skills, emotional intelligence and life planning in order to become a self-directed, contributing member of society.
- Using American Sign Language and English, students are active partners in their individualized education program.
- We explore effective approaches to teaching and learning that we share with families and professionals throughout the country.
- We believe that the development of the whole child is essential and that each child has unique interests, needs, and abilities.
- We believe that all children who are deaf or hard of hearing can learn, achieve, and be responsible for their education.
- We believe that a student's positive sense of self is critical for school achievement and success throughout life.
|School Type||Special Education School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Council for Exceptional Children|
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Total Students||175 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 46%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||28 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
Nearby Private Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Washington Grades: PK-8 | 112 students
800 Florida Ave Ne
Washington, DC 20002
(202) 250-2761 0.1 PK-8
- Washington Grades: PK-8 | 241 students
1217 West Virginia Avenue Ne
Washington, DC 20002
(202) 397-1614 0.2 PK-8
- Washington Grades: PK-8 | 249 students
1135 New Jersey Avenue Nw
Washington, DC 20001
(202) 638-5789 1.1 PK-8
- Washington Grades: PK-8 | 113 students
806 Rhode Island Ave Ne
Washington, DC 20018
(202) 526-5176 1.2 PK-8
If you live outside the United States, choosing an American private school can be a confusing process. Here is an overview of the process.
Many people thought vouchers would never amount to much. Not only have they amounted to a great deal more than anybody could have thought, but vouchers have encouraged several more education choices to flourish.
Now that school has safely reopened, what can we parents do to support and encourage the schools we care about so much?