5.00 (13 reviews)
Montessori Academy Photo #2 - Since 1971, our school has occupied over 6 acres of property along the Fox River in Batavia, Illinois.
Montessori Academy Photo #3 - Hands-on materials and discovery-based learning is one of the cornerstones of Montessori education.
- Montessori Approach The Montessori approach provides an artfully designed environment where your child`s innate desire and ability to explore and to learn can take off.
- There are significant differences between the Montessori environment and traditional classrooms, which is evident as soon as you enter. Maria Montessori`s observations about how children learn have now been validated by modern neuropsychology.
- Children learn best through movement, concrete learning and most of all hands on materirals.
- Classroom Environments At Montessori Academy, classrooms are inviting places to learn that encourage choice, independence and enthusiasm.
- The extensive Montessori "works" provide a comforting sense of harmony and order. Students quickly learn to choose the work that interests and stimulates them, eventually achieving mastery.
- The focused activities, the gentle guidance of the teacher, and the strong sense of order all work in harmony with the student`s innate need and desire to learn.
- Students have access to open areas where they can cooperate at tables, work independently on rugs or sit together for circle time. Teachers are guides in the Montessori classroom who make sure children are challenging themselves to learn and grow and are devoting time to all of the various subject areas in the curriculum.
- Student Outcomes The outcomes of a Montessori education include many great attributes that prepare individuals to be successful in life. Montessori students are interested in exploring the world around them.
- They work with an attitude of mutual respect that fosters cooperation.
- Opportunities abound for them to learn from older students and from experiences teaching and leading their younger classmates.
- These outcomes are achieved due to some fundamental principles. Montessori classrooms are multi-age based on specific planes of development.
- Students are free to work during long, uninterrupted work periods both individually or in cooperation with other students.
- There is an emphasis on grace, courtesy and individual responsibility.
- Transitioning There is a natural and smooth progression in the Montessori curriculum as the child progresses from age three onward.
- Many of our families receive the full benefits of a Montessori education all the way through eighth grade.
- Successful transitioning to traditional schooling at any point is possible, Montessori in the 21st Century Success can be defined in many different ways, but it has changed dramatically in recent years.
- Successful individuals are no longer relegated to rows of desks or anchored in cluttered offices.
- Modern Montessori is perfectly suited to build the successful individual of the future by encouraging initiative, enthusiasm, and creativity.
- Montessori education has been shown to strongly support the development of "executive functioning." This extremely valuable capability of the brain fosters skills such as adaptability, focus and creativity, skills that are critical to success in our 21st century world.
- Traditional approaches to education simply do not foster this kind of thinking.
- Not surprisingly, some of the most innovative and successful individuals over the last hundred years have been Montessori graduates.
- The educators and administrators at Montessori Academy are as proactive and energetic as the children themselves.
- There is an emphasis on professional development, which includes visiting other schools, in-service learning, and participation at a variety of conferences and seminars to ensure our school is at a leader in modern Montessori thought and practice.
|School Type||Montessori School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||American Montessori Society (AMS)|
Other Montessori association(s)
Other school association(s)
International Montessori Council (IMC)
Illinois Coalition of Nonpublic Schools
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Total Students||50 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 30%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||3 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||17:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||20 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition rates vary by program. Visit our website or send us an email and we will send you the rate for the program you are interested in joining!|
|Admissions Director||Stacie Benjamin|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||2 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Arts and Music Programs:|
Recreational Athletic Programs:
- 3, 4, and 5 Half Day and Full Day Preschool Programs
- Full Day Kindergarten
- Affordable Tuition Rates
- Before and After School Programs
- Hours of Operation 7AM - 5:45PM
- Low Student to Teacher Ratios
- Situated on 6 Acres of Beautiful Riverfront Property
- Strong focus on nature and spending time outdoors
- Weekly Summer Camp Programs
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Batavia Grades: PK-8 | 260 students
950 Hart Rd.
Batavia, IL 60510
(630)406-0157 0.5 PK-8
- Aurora Grades: PK-6 | 128 students
850 N Commonwealth Ave
Aurora, IL 60506
(630)896-7557 5.2 PK-6
I have two boys attending school here, one in the primary classroom (pre-schoool) and the other just started in the elementary room. I am consistently amazed at how much my children have learned since starting in a Montessori classroom. Just the other day, my 3 year old explained to me what an odd number was and then proceeded to give me several examples of odd numbers. My first grader is reading and can multiply and divide without much effort. The tools in the classroom and the focus on academic mastery create an incredible learning environment!
- Posted by Parent - Heather S.
The Batavia Montessori Academy has a beautiful campus and a fabulous curriculum. my daughter has learned to much from her preschool teacher, Mrs. Jocelyn. I couldn't be happier with her progression towards independence!
- Posted by Parent - Noran
I''m so glad I am able to share the education I received with my child; Montessori Starts your journey for knowledge. As an Alumni and a parent I don't think there is a better choice for private school.
- Posted by Parent - heali
The excellent learning environment provided by Batavia Montessori Academy is everything I had been looking for. The low teacher to student ratio, the emphasis on learning and exploring fits her perfectly; and the integration of respect for self, others and the world we live in is fantastic. She loves school as a first grader and has never uttered, "I don't want to go to school today." The Strings program here is another gem of the school, encouraging our daughter's passion for music to really blossom.
- Posted by Parent - cvzde
We were looking for someplace to help nurture our child's independence and creative spirit and we found that the Batavia Montessori Academy. She can learn new things at her own pace and own interest level. She regularly asks to go to school on the weekends that is how much she enjoys her time at school.
- Posted by Parent - kathe
Montessori Academy is a wonderful school. We''re thoroughly happy our child is a student there. Their campus is beautiful and allows for daily interaction with nature and space to play outside. There are even organic gardens that the children tend! A magical place. We feel that our child is nurtured in all aspects of living - physically, intellectually, spiritually, socially - at Montessori Academy. The staff are caring and accessible. The enrichment programs offered at MA are varied and interesting. We love it there.
- Posted by Parent - sarah
A great academic program in a beautiful natural setting. Montessori Academy is a warm and welcoming place for my child. I have watched him grow so much in so many ways as a result of the Montessori method and the wonderful teachers at this school.
- Posted by Parent - eliza
As a parent who works in the education setting I am thoroughly impressed with the connection and compassion the staff have with my son. Although he is only going to be 5, the foundation of his educational experience has been warm and allowed for him to develop and grow in a manner that fosters true learning and feeling safe to be himself. My son continues to grow into a curious and kind little boy who enjoys school each and every day.
- Posted by Parent - jennd
Batavia Montessori Academy gives students a fantastic academic, social, and caring education (in an awesome location, with abundant natural surroundings to explore). As a college instructor, I appreciate the rigor of study found here in a less stressful environment than that of typical schools. The school offers several extracurricular activities, but the school day itself provides many fun, developmental experiences that other schools cannot offer. I genuinely recommend this school for all ages!
- Posted by Parent - c.fol
I cannot say enough GREAT things about Batavia Montessory Acadamy! Everyone really take a hands on approach with all their students, as well as giving each child the individual attention they deserve. I would without a doubt recommend Batavia Montessory Acadamy.
- Posted by Parent - Dawn5
As our Grandaughter approached pre- school and now her elementary education we sought a learning environment that accomplished the following: - A superior learning environment focusing on a challenging curriculum and individual needs and talents. - A student / teacher ratio allowing for quick identification of individual needs or accelerated opportunities. - Greater access to additional music, language, and physical activities - Appropriate attention to teaching respect for fellow students and other cultures or backgrounds. These are the primary value added expectations we have for this school that Public schools are increasingly challenged to meet today. That is not an indictment of most teachers in any way. Rather the trend to increasingly execute a "one size fits all" approach. This we seek to avoid and believe Montessori Batavia addresses.
- Posted by Parent - Gkerl
The Montessori method of teaching at this school allows for an Excellent relationship between the teachers, the concrete materials, and the individual needs for my Daughter! Everyone involved with the students show GREAT respect for each other; which is a wonderful example for the students. The environment here is so lovely and stress free, allowing the students to enjoy all aspects of Nature and be comfortable learning at a pace that challenges each individual as well as the whole class. With combined grades in Elementary and up, students not only learn but mentor the other students for the best understanding of the material learned.
- Posted by Parent - saker
I highly encourage anyone thinking about this school to come visit the campus. The children work and learn in harmony in the presence of wonderful teachers. My child has been here 3years (including summer camp)and he is always eager to get up and start the day. He comes home with great understanding of the solar system or any topic that they are currently studying. They also offer violin, yoga, tae Kwon, Spanish and chess. They also provide wonderful field trips during the year. So many special things happen everyday you really need to see to believe.
- Posted by Parent - Greta
Private school tuition seems to go nowhere but up. We look at some of the reasons why and offer the opinion that a private school education is still good value.
It seems to be highly likely that the COVID-19 virus will spread to the United States. We look at step schools and parents can take to protect themselves from this highly contagious virus.
This article aggregates all the articles I have written about running a small private school. Use it as a handbook and a reminder of things you should look at from time to time.