Pella Christian High School
- The mission of Pella Christian High School is to educate and nurture each student to serve in God's world
- The purpose of Pella Christian High School is to nurture a Christian Community in which parents and staff cooperatively provide quality education based on God's word.
- Our aim is to educate students in spiritual, intellectual, physical, social, and emotional dimensions; to prepare students for responsible citizenship in God's kingdom; to provide a quality, Bible-based education from a Reformed world view which acknowledges Christ's Lordship over all of life; to emphasize each person's worth and communal responsibility; to maintain a staff of committed, competent Christian educators; to involve parents as partners in various aspects of school life; to develop community awareness of the mission and purpose of PCHS; and to promote covenantal Christian education for all Christian families.
Pella Christian High School places among the top 20% of private schools in Iowa for:
- Category Attribute
- ACT Score Highest average ACT score
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
- AP Courses Most AP courses offered
- Sports offered Most sports offered
- Extracurriculars Most extracurriculars offered
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Christian Schools International (CSI)|
Other religious school association(s)
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Total Students||245 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 14%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||26 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||9:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||18 students|
|Number of AP Courses||15 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Average ACT score||26|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(jeans, tops, casual dresses)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Grants and scholarships are available|
|Total Sports Offered||15 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Bowling, Cheering, Cross Country, Dance, Drill Team, Football, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, WeightliftingBaseball, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Dance,
Drill Team, Football,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||11 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Clay Trap, International Club, Knowledge Bowl, Memoirs-Yearbook, Mock Trial, Student Newspaper
Arts and Music Programs:
Chamber Choir, Forensics, Pep Band, Play Productions-Fall & Spring
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Pella Christian High School was founded in 1939, with four teachers and 41 students. The first graduating class of nine students received their diplomas on May 20, 1941.
First located in a two-story home, the student body of Pella Christian High School quickly outgrew the space and relocated to a new building in 1949. Despite a devastating fire in 1964, the school remained in its second location until moving to its current facility in 2008.
Today Pella Christian High School is located on a 43-acre property on the edge of Pella, Iowa. Modern classrooms, top-of-the-line indoor and outdoor athletic facilities, a beautiful auditorium for showcasing the performing arts, and a variety of exciting programs all contribute to our top-notch education. The board, faculty, and staff adhere to the Reformed worldview that our world belongs to God and our lives are a testimony of thanksgiving and service to Him.
Fully accredited with certified teachers, Pella Christian High School is known for its high academic standards and vibrant student culture. Pella Christian High School provides a liberal arts education with rigorous college prep classes as well as courses in industrial arts, fine arts, and family consumer sciences. AP classes and advanced courses for university credit are also available for those students looking for an extra challenge.
At the beginning of second semester students are able to explore specific areas of interest that may not be possible in a traditional academic setting through a program called Winterim. Winterim includes trips, internships, and classes on a variety of topics.
Pella Christian High School challenges students outside the classroom through debate, student leadership opportunities, and the knowledge bowl.
International Student Program
In addition to welcoming local students, Pella Christian High School has been educating international students since the 1980s. Pella Christian High School currently enrolls up to 25 international students every year from a variety of countries around the world. Personalized academic writing support, English as a Second Language class, and a specialized international student study hall are key program components that contribute to student academic success. International students quickly become immersed in the typical life of an American high school student. Opportunities to participate in leadership activities, the arts, and athletics have let to enriching experiences and life-long memories.
Participation in athletics is one way of helping students at Pella Christian High School develop patterns of behavior that will prepare them for their futures. Since high school sports create an environment where young athletes are put under pressure, and true character is tested and revealed, coaches have the opportunity to influence how athletes respond to stress and high expectations. Communication, commitment, respect, self-control, and humility are some of the qualities developed through athletics that are valuable tools in God-honoring, life-long service.
Pella Christian High School offers these extra-curricular athletics: baseball, basketball, bowling, cheerleading, clay target shooting, cross country, drill team, football, golf, soccer, softball, track and field, tennis, and volleyball.
Pella Christian High School`s award-winning music and theater programs aim to provide students with positive, life-changing experiences that will broaden their education and allow them to explore new and unique performances, opportunities, cultures, and repertoire. In addition to speech, drama, band, and choir, students can perform in the marching band, pep band, musicals, plays, and forensic performances and competitions.
Our visual art program enables students to broaden and develop their creative selves. In addition to learning the history of the artistic greats, students can create their own masterpieces through the media, of drawing, painting, sculpting, pottery, 3D design, graphic design, and much more.
We love to witness the accomplishments of our alumni. Pella Christian High School graduates are living testimonies of God`s faithfulness. They are proof that Pella Christian High School completed its task in preparing students for a lifetime of service in this world.
Select list of colleges and universities attended by Pella Christian High School Graduates:
- Top 10 Schools: Northwestern
- UniversityTop 30 Schools: University of California Berkeley, University of Southern California, University of Michigan Ann Arbor
- Top 50 Schools: University of Rochester, University of California Davis, Boston University, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, University of Wisconsin Madison
- Top 100 Schools: Ohio State University, George Washington University, Purdue University, University of Washington, George Washington University, University of Connecticut, University of Pittsburgh, American University, University of Iowa, University of Colorado Boulder
- Highly ranked Liberal Arts Colleges and Regional Universities: Beloit College, Butler University, Creighton University, Dordt University, Palm Beach Atlantic University, Point Loma Nazarene University
Profile last updated:
Nearby Private Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Pella Grades: PK-8 | 529 students
216 Liberty Street
Pella, IA 50219
(641) 628-2414 0.5 PK-8
- Pella Grades: PK-8 | 47 students
110 Peoria West St
Pella, IA 50219
(641) 625-4131 6.7 PK-8
- Sully Grades: K-8 | 39 students
12629 S 92nd Avenue E
Sully, IA 50251
(641) 594-4180 11.9 K-8
- Oskaloosa Grades: K-8 | 185 students
726 N. E Street
Oskaloosa, IA 52577
(641) 672-2174 15.7 K-8
- Newton Grades: PK-8 | 84 students
1710 N 11th Avenue E
Newton, IA 50208
(641) 792-1924 21.5 PK-8
My education at Pella Christian High School helped me become who I am today. Without the strong academic foundation I received at PCHS, with the help of quality teachers in a safe learning environment, I don't believe I would have accomplished all that I did in the years following.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - PC Alumni