Tel: (773) 238-2603
- P.L.A.I.D. (Positive Learning in an Atmosphere of Individual Development) Academy's goal is to welcome each child into the realm of the successful independent learner.
- The learning experience designed to achieve this goal places equal emphasis on knowledge, comprehension, application and creativity.
- While basic elements may be traditional, the learning experience is often unique. Multi-sensory teaching techniques and integrated curriculum encourage synergy for the learner between classroom experiences and real world expectations.
- Community resources are used to enrich the curriculum. Our small class size allows for individual attention and the interaction between students.
- The right of each child to realize his or her learning potential is recognized side by side with the belief that self-confidence and the ability to work well with others help the student realize the full benefits of education.
PLAID Academy places among the top 20% of private schools in Illinois for:
- Category Attribute
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Alternative School Network|
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-8|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Dyslexia, language-based, mild learning differences|
|Total Students||31 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 31%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||6 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$10,000|
|Tuition Notes||see www.plaidacademy.org|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Jean Altman|
- P.L.A.I.D. Academy opened its doors in 1994. A state recognized private school, the learning experience places equal emphasis on knowledge, comprehension, application and creativity. PLAID graduates are self-confident, independent learners who successfully transition into the high school of their choice. Through a traditional, yet innovative curriculum, PLAID students continually assess skills, set goals and evaluate progress. Multi-sensory teaching techniques and an integrated curriculum encourage synergy for the learner between classroom experiences and real world expectations. Frequent field trips are utilized to enrich the curriculum. Small class size allows for individual attention and the interaction between students. Enhanced Curriculum includes Chinese, Hip-Hop, yoga, swim, and President's Physical Fitness Program, Extracurricular and Intramural activities and an Extended Day Program. P.L.A.I.D. also offers ELS, Essential Learning System, which is an individualized program that addresses learning differences and accelerates student progression. Mulit-sensory exercises enhance linguistic acquistion, coding and transfer learning. Sensory Integration Training develops reflexive learning and links visual, auditory, and motor development.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Burbank Grades: 9-12 | 650 students
5556 W 77th St
Burbank, IL 60459
(708) 458-6900 5.9 9-12
- Chicago Grades: 1-7 | 14 students
9356 S Justine St
Chicago, IL 60620
(773) 779-5158 2.5 1-7
- Chicago Grades: NS-7 | 21 students
5492 S Everett Ave
Chicago, IL 60615
(773) 924-2832 8.8 NS-7
Whether you are just beginning the process of choosing a private school or several months into it, make sure that you keep these five 'must haves' front and center in your thinking.
Are charter schools private schools? What do vouchers have to do with private schools? Some answers here.
You cannot rank private schools. We explain why.