Prairie Hill Waldorf School
Mayfaire is the celebration of Spring. The third graders learn and perform a traditional Maypole dance accompanied by older children playing music. A meal is served and there are games such as the beloved cake walk, activities including painting and the much anticipated Fairy Glen tours.
Our year-round Morning Glory playgroups offer what parents call 'an oasis in a busy world' for children and their parent or caregiver. With classes serving children from infancy to 4 years old, there is a playgroup for everyone.
Each grades classroom teacher adds beautiful hand drawn chalk drawings depicting a part of the curriculum.
Prairie Hill Firehawks took 1st place in the Warrior Classic and were the LACC Regular Season Champions in 2015!
- Prairie Hill Waldorf School is a vibrant educational community providing a rich academic, artistic, and practical educational experience that brings forth the full potential of each child.
- The breadth and depth of a Prairie Hill education gives children a life of awakened abilities and a highly developed capacity for academic achievement, creativity, self-confidence, and self-discipline.
- Our graduates are prepared for advanced classes in high school, carrying with them a strong foundation for adaptability, compassion, integrity, and the courage to seek out and act on what they believe to be right and true.
- The Waldorf curriculum draws out the child's innate curiosity, independent judgment, and love of learning.
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Association of Waldorf Schools of North America|
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
Waldorf Early Childhood Association of North America
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-8|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||To be discussed with parent|
|Total Students||161 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 28%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||14 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||12:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(No characters, large logos or writing so as to minimize distraction )
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Aug. 16 / rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Varies, depending on age and number of days in attendance. Tuition Assistance available. Please call or visit website for specific costs.|
|% on Financial Aid|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Susan Koppa McClurg|
|Admissions Associate||Jeanne Ring|
|Total Sports Offered||3 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Track and Field, VolleyballBasketball, Track and Field,|
- The core of the internationally acclaimed Waldorf philosophy is that every child has the right to develop his or her full human potential; to develop clear, creative thought and expression; balance and compassion in feeling; and conscience and initiative in action. Our curriculum upholds the highest principles of academic excellence, artistic experience, and craftsmanship in practical work, while addressing the gifts and talents of each student. For the young child, Prairie Hill Waldorf School offers a parent-child playgroup for ages 18 months to four years, Wondergarden for ages three to four, and Kindergarten. In Early Childhood, young children are nurtured in a homelike environment. Their days include time in nature, artistic activities, creative play with natural toys, stories, songs, and practical activities such as building, sewing, and cooking. The curriculum fosters the curiosity and joy of childhood and builds the self-confidence and pre-academic skills that become the foundation for formal learning in the grades. In Grades 1-8, Prairie Hill's dedicated faculty brings a broad-based curriculum to life through innovative teaching that weaves hands-on experiences, singing, problem-solving, art, and movement. The result is children who not only learn deeply, but also love to learn"and carry that joy of learning into their adult lives. Core academic subjects are integrated with the arts (drama, painting, sculpture, dance, and music), active movement and handwork (from woodworking to knitting), and two foreign languages (German and Spanish). Students enhance multiple intelligences and life skills through a wealth of field trips, community service work, and class plays where every student in every grade has a part. Plus, there is plenty of outdoor time on our spacious campus, complete with gardens and chickens. Prairie Hill's rich festival life, from the Lantern Walk to Mayfaire grounds children in tradition and seasonal rhythms and offers parents a welcoming community from where they can learn, benefit, and grow. Prairie Hill Waldorf School is an independent, nonsectarian, nonprofit school serving children ages infant through Grade 8. We are a fully accredited school by both the Association of Waldorf Schools of North America and the North Central Association.We are located in Pewaukee, Wisconsin, just 30 minutes west of Milwaukee and 45 minutes east of Madison.
Profile last updated: 05/11/2016
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- WaukeshaGrades: PK-8 | 259 students
2600 Summit Ave
Waukesha, WI 53188
- WaukeshaGrades: K-9 | 154 students
1941 Madison St
Waukesha, WI 53188
- OconomowocGrades: PK-8 | 125 students
818 W Wisconsin Ave
Oconomowoc, WI 53066
- DousmanGrades: PK-8 | 90 students
246 W Ottawa Avenue
Dousman, WI 53118
- New BerlinGrades: PK-12 | 640 students
3500 S. Glen Park Road
New Berlin, WI 53151
October 18, 2017
The Seattle area is home to many fine private schools as well as to major companies such as Microsoft, Boeing and Starbucks.
September 30, 2017
Scandals in private school are bound to raise questions for those of us thinking about sending our children to private school. Regardless of how sensational these scandals may appear, they are actually few and far between.
September 29, 2017
Parents have many reasons for deciding to take their children out of public school and enrolling them in private school. This circumstance is something which can happen at any stage of your child's education.