Snake River Montessori School
- School Type: Montessori School
- Grades: Prekindergarten-6
- Students: 103 students
- Application Deadline: None / Rolling
Academics and Faculty
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
- Snake River Montessori School is devoted to nurturing children's innate love of learning. This private school is the product of dedicated parents, teachers, and other community members who are committed to enhancing the range of educational opportunities for the children of eastern Idaho. The objective of the Snake River Montessori School (SRMS) is to provide a carefully planned, stimulating environment that will help children develop the habits, attitudes, and skills essential for a lifetime of creative thinking and learning. Specific goals for students who attend SRMS are to develop a positive attitude toward school and learning; develop a high self-esteem; build habits of concentration for lifelong study skills; develop and foster an abiding curiosity; develop habits of initiative and persistence; and foster inner discipline and a sense of order.
- Curriculum Includes Geography and History: The youngest students work with specially designed maps and begin to learn the names of the world's continents, countries, and land forms. The Elementary students learn to treasure the richness of their own cultural heritage and those of their friends. History is forst introduced in measuring the passage of time through personal time lines, calendars and clocks. This prepares the students for the Great Lessons of the elementary curriculum that illustrates the time line of the Earth and the laws of the universe.
- Language The Monstessori classroom is a Language rich environment that fosters development of vocabulary, communication skills, writing and reading.
- Mathematics The central purpose of the math materials in the early years is to lay the foundation for later cognitive develoment and to prepare for the gradual transition to abstract thinking. Like all Montessori materials, they are designed to be hands on. They introduce quantity before numerals and progressto early work with the decimal system. The math curriculum and materials are maintained through the elementary years and unified to include algebra, geometry, logic and statistics, concepts not normally introduced in the US until secondary school.
- Music Music is sung, played, appreciated and danced to in all of the programs. The proper playing of instruments in stressed at all times. The children perform several times a year for parents and friends. The elementary students received specific music instruction once a week.
- Practical Life The basis of all the work in the Primary ( ages 3-6) classroom, this area highlights real life tasks that foster order, corrdination, concentration and ultimately, independence. The Practical Life area contains many attractively displayed objects familiar to the child, including a variety of items commonly used in the tasks of daily living, like eating,dressing and cleaning.
- Physical Education Sutdents are guided through various activities and skills in order to develop and expand competency in five psychomotor skill areas: Locomotion, throwing and Catching, Kicking, Team play and Fitness. Emphasis is placed on healthy cooperation, personal management in large groups and safety. The program is taught weekely at regular scheduled times.
- Science The science curriculum takes advantage of a child's natural curiosity about nature and the way things work. The scope of the Montessori science curriculum includes a sounds introduction to botany, zoology, chemistry, physics, geology, and astronomy in the typical hands-on Montessori fashion.
- Sensorial Dr. Montessori considered sensory and manipulation not only an aid to the development of maturing sense organ, but a starting point for intellectual growth. The basic snesorial exercises inspire careful observation and call attention to specific qualities requiring identification of similarities and contrasts.
Endorse Snake River Montessori School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards