St James Catholic School
Tel: (815) 962-8515
- St. James School, Rockford's first Catholic parish, was founded in 1853.
- Our school was founded in 1886, at the time there were 3 teachers and 85 students.
- We now have a full staff and over two hundred eighteen students in kindergarten through eighth grade.
- St. James School strives to provide our students with a curriculum that enables academic excellence, while instilling the basic skills necessary to succeed.
- Instruction in Reading, Math, Language, Science, Social Studies, and Handwriting are the foundation of our academic curriculum.
- We recently added a new science lab, art room, computer lab, and school chapel.
- The students also have weekly access to library skills/resource education and physical education.
- Our students receive religious education at every grade level; this is the foundation of their spiritual preparation.
- Students are encouraged to participate in school masses and prayer services held throughout the year.
- Our goal at St. James School is to foster a gospel-centered learning environment supported by parents, students, and staff as a team effort.
- As a Catholic community, it is important for every member to demonstrate fair treatment of one another.
- In an effort to encourage positive Christian behavior, we recognize responsible and acceptable school behavior with our "Pride" program and on an individual basis.
- Our discipline policy can be found in the student handbook.
- Uniforms play an important role in the philosophy of our Catholic School.
- They minimize the importance of competition or preoccupation with what we wear, and help reduce the financial burden on parents.
- This policy can also be found in the student handbook.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA)|
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Total Students||155 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 31%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||11 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||14:1|
National avg.: 13:1
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
Now that school has safely reopened, what can we parents do to support and encourage the schools we care about so much?
Sending your child to a single-sex school is one of several options you have when it comes to private schools.
This article aims to show you where to look for information about school reopening protocols, school reopening communications, schools that have closed, and schools with COVID-19 cases, among other COVID-19 related issues.