St Philip The Apostle School
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA)|
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Total Students||241 students|
|Student Body Type||n/a|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 30%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||12 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||20:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||21 students|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Total Sports Offered||2 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, VolleyballBasketball, Volleyball,|
- Religious Formation
- The most important aspect of St. Philip the Apostle School is the emphasis on religious formation in a Catholic Christian environment. Faith values are modeled, and students are guided through daily instruction to understand their Catholic faith and to integrate Christ-like attitudes into their daily life.Along with religious instruction, liturgical celebrations and daily prayer are meaningful experiences for the children. Weekly liturgies are celebrated and service opportunities are provided. Sacramental preparation is at the heart of the second and eighth grade religion programs, and parish priests are available to offer guidance and support. The entire parish of St. Philip the Apostle is committed to the Catholic formation of it's children.
- Affiliation and Accreditation
- St. Philip the Apostle School is a member of the Catholic School System of the Diocese of Joliet and has been granted full recognition by the State of Illinois. State Evaluations are conducted regularly and according to the Policies and Guidelines for Registration and Recognition of Non-Public Elementary and Secondary School. St. Philip the Apostle School is a member of the National Catholic Education Association.
- Academic Programs
- St. Philip the Apostle School aspires to continued academic excellence through an educational program which has a solid foundation in religion and core subject areas. The outstanding academic achievement of St. Philip's students is evident in their standardized test scores which place them well above the national norms.The curriculum is aligned with the Illinois State and Diocese of Joliet Standards. Reading, English, math, science, social studies, and religion are taught daily. Music, art, Spanish and band are also included in the total program. For purposes of enrichment and research, a modern school library and resource center is available. Students also have blocked times throughout the week for specific use of our computer lab for project based research and technology skills development. Our computer lab is equipped with internet access, offering the students a wide array of research opportunities. Mobile computer labs featuring our Chromebook wireless devices are also used by students. A full-time Technology Coordinator helps students work with teacher implemented technology-integrated projects, stemming from each classes curriculum requirements. This valuable resource is made available for all students, Kindergarten through eighth grade. Our physical education teacher provides a curriculum which focuses on good health, nutrition, exercise, fitness awareness, and physical development.
- Fine Arts and Music Enrichment
- Part-time music and band instructors provide students with an opportunity to participate in the school band and various musical programs throughout their years at St. Philip the Apostle School. The art experience comes in many different varieties, and each student also has specific times set aside to work with our part-time art teacher with their class. Each week there are new bits of personal art expression created by St. Philip students.
- Learning Center
- Kindergarten through fourth students are helped to build strong foundations in reading, phonics, math, English, science and social studies through the support of a learning resource teacher and a team of volunteer parents (and grandparents). Each week, students use the learning center to work with computers, hands-on learning materials and other resources.. Recognizing the necessity to build strong basic reading skills, various teaching strategies are used to enhance the reading program and to encourage all students to reach their fullest potential. There is also a large focus on Math concepts and skills. The program has a tie-in with each grade's curriculum enhanced by themes throughout the year; Greek Mythology, STEM, March Madness, Poetry and Young Authors.
- Extra-Curricular Activities
- There are many opportunities for extra curricular activities at St. Philip's School. The goal of the athletic program is to provide sports activities where physical education and athletics work hand in hand to encourage skill building, and to foster a sense of team spirit, fair play. and good sportsmanship. Beginning in grade 5, students have the opportunity to participate and compete in volleyball and basketball through various leagues.In addition, students may participate in service outreach programs and are also invited to become altar servers, and to share in the ministry of music as choir members. Activities such as these generate school spirit, provide for greater student involvement, and help to enrich the holistic school curriculum.Other after-school activities are offered periodically throughout the year, such as Drama Club, and various enrichment programs.
- Preschool Program
- A center-based program, we offer a wide variety of hands-on activities so that learning is encouraged within an atmosphere of exploration and discovery.With parents as partners, we strive to help make the child's first educational experience a positive and joyful one where children grow in their awareness of self, and in their relationship with God and others.
You have just heard about a new private school opening soon in your area. Should you consider sending your child there? A look at the pros and cons of such a decision.
If you know the answers to all these questions, you probably teach or work in a private school. Be that as it may, these questions contain links with the answers.
As you evaluate schools, take time to explore fully what the schools which you are looking at teach.