The Gordon School
- Top Ranked RI School
- Grades: Nursery/Preschool-8
- Enrollment: 372 students
- Yearly Tuition: $39,200
- Average class size: 16 students
- Application Deadline: Feb. 1 / rolling
- Source: Verified school update
Academics and Faculty
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
Arts Council, Fifth grade robotics club, Gender and sexuality alliance, Geography Bee, Homework Club, Intro to STEM, Knitting Circle, Math Counts, math mentors, Robotics Team, Save the Bay, Student Government
Arts and Music Programs:
A Cappella Choir, Drumming Circle, Hip Hop Dance, Shadow puppets, Theater Production, Woodworking, Young Rembrandts
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Sailing Camp, Winter fitness, Yoga
- The Gordon School is a racially diverse nursery through eighth grade coeducational independent school in East Providence, Rhode Island. Child by child, the Gordon School community cultivates successful students by inspiring joyful learning, encouraging intellectual leadership, fostering an empathic spirit and stimulating a drive for positive societal impact.
- Guiding Principles
- We emphatically believe that each of the following five principles is essential for the success of our mission:
- Our curriculum is rooted in multicultural practice, which develops academic skills, thinking strategies, active imaginations and children`s social competencies
- We teach students to investigate and study concepts and topics from multiple perspectives, a basic skill for success in school and in life
- Students are challenged and inspired to be active workers toward their education
- As articulated in the Gordon School Statement on Inclusivity, we create and sustain a diverse community of faculty, staff, students and families
- As multicultural educators, our teachers strive to establish relationships of understanding and trust with each child and his or her family
- Founding Purpose
- Founded in the fall of 1910 by pediatrician Dr. Helen West Cooke as the Open Air School, Gordon began in Dr. Cooke`s living room on the East Side of Providence. Windows were kept open year round to foster good health and clear thinking. In that year, Dr. Cooke`s son Gordon and a neighbor, Margaret Arthur, comprised the school`s first class. In this way, Gordon became Rhode Island`s only non-public coeducational school.
- Today, the school remains true to its progressive roots. We seek to instill what Dr. Cooke termed "the true spirit of joyous work" into each day of school. Our faculty implements a challenging multicultural curriculum to fuel each child`s innate curiosity and idealistic spirit. We prepare our students to enter an increasingly complex and diverse world with skillful awareness, unwavering hope and the capacity to advocate confidently for justice.
- As Gordon enters its second century, we proudly follow the directive highlighted on the bronze plaque that was placed at our entrance at the time of the school`s move to this beautiful 12-acre campus in 1963: "The Gordon School: founded in 1910 in the belief that mind and heart should be educated with equal care."
- The Gordon School Statement on Inclusivity
- Gordon proudly honors each individual within its community. The school respects the customs, traditions, values and perspectives of individuals of different gender, race, religion, socioeconomic status, family configuration, sexual orientation, ethnicity, ability and age. The faculty actively teaches students to confidently consider multiple perspectives, examine and express their own beliefs and respond respectfully to the ideas and beliefs of others. To the greatest extent possible, Gordon takes steps to ensure equal and equitable participation for all members of the school community. Gordon`s emphasis on inclusivity, an evolving process, is essential to its mission to prepare students for active citizenship in the world.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does The Gordon School cost?
The Gordon School's tuition is approximately $39,200 for private students.
What sports does The Gordon School offer?
The Gordon School offers 9 interscholastic sports: Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Flag Football, Lacrosse, Soccer, Tennis and Track and Field.
What is The Gordon School's ranking?
When is the application deadline for The Gordon School?
The application deadline for The Gordon School is Feb. 1 / rolling (applications are due on Feb. 1 but additional applications are reviewed year-round as space permits ).
Endorse The Gordon School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards