Bishop Hendricken High School
- Rooted in the Catholic Faith and traditions of the Congregation of Christian Brothers, Bishop Hendricken High School is a college preparatory school of spirited young men, dedicated, compassionate religious and lay teachers, committed staff, involved parents and supportive alumni.
- At Bishop Hendricken, we provide challenging and inspiring academics, arts, athletics, and extracurricular activities in a structured and caring environment. We strive to foster creativity, critical thinking, and an appreciation for beauty, goodness, and truth. The Hendricken experience is demanding yet supportive, and prepares students for true leadership, recognized not only in personal achievement but also in service to God and neighbor. The Hendricken man thrives in the call to excel in his own way and the invitation to invest in a deeper faith. TO BE a man of faith, wisdom, action and compassion: this is what it means TO BE Hendricken..
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA)|
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades 8-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Yes, please call for guidance|
|Awards||Blue Ribbon School - Selected in 1998|
|Total Students||937 students|
|Student Body Type||All-boys|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||78 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||12:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||22 students|
|Number of AP Courses||18 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||American Government, American History, Biology, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Chemistry, Computer Science, English Composition, English Literature, European History, French, Music Theory, Physics, Spanish, Statistics,|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(Jacket and tie required, khaki pants and button down shirt)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$14,025|
|Tuition Notes||$1.6 million in financial aid and scholarships is available each year; 57% of students receive some form of financial aid; families must apply separately for financial aid through FACTStuitionaid.com.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$3,500|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Catherine Solomon|
|Total Sports Offered||16 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Rugby, Sailing, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Winter Track, WrestlingBaseball, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Football,
Golf, Ice Hockey,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
Winter Track, Wrestling,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||55 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Brotherhood, Campus Ministry, Chess Club, Computer Club, Debate, French Club, Hawk Sports Network, Italian Club, Math Team, Mock Trial, Newspaper, Nutrition Club, Peer Ministry, Pro-Life Club, Robotics Team, Science Fair, Science Olympiad, Spanish Club, Special Olympics, Stock Market Club, Student Council, Yearbook, Youth Taking Action
Arts and Music Programs:
Art Club, Drama, Hawkafellas, Hoop Band, Jazz Ensemble, Literary Magazine, Marching Band, Media Arts, Media Arts Workshop, New Artist Play Festival, Percussion Ensemble, Performing Arts, Spring Musical, String Orchestra, Summerstage, Tech Crew, Theater Pit Orchestra, Young Men's Chorus
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Archery Club, Basketball, Billiards, Bocce, Bowling, Fencing, Fishing Club, Golf, Hiking Club, Ski Club, Surf Club, Table Tennis, Tennis, Weight Training
What does it mean to "Be Hendricken"
- It means a boy developing his whole person - heart, mind, body and soul. It means a boy surprising himself with the opportunities he embraces. It means working with purpose, learning with an open heart, playing with joy and foucs, and serving with insight. It means being part of the Hendricken family. In the Hendricken family, boys develop lieflong friendships as they deepen their understanding of self, their appreciation for community, and their connection to God.
- For over 50 years, we have attracted gifted scholars, artists and athletes who become young men of character and compassion. Join our proud tradition today!
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Providence Grades: 6-12 | 1541 students
612 Academy Ave
Providence, RI 02908
(401)351-7750 9.7 6-12
- Pawtucket Grades: 9-12 | 360 students
123 Walcott St
Pawtucket, RI 02860
(401)723-8100 11.8 9-12
- Providence Grades: PK-12 | 792 students
250 Lloyd Ave
Providence, RI 02906
(401)831-7373 8.7 PK-12
- Wakefield Grades: 9-12 | 624 students
4640 Tower Hill Rd
Wakefield, RI 02879
(401)789-9262 18.1 9-12
- Pawtucket Grades: 9-12 | 63 students
145 Power Rd
Pawtucket, RI 02860
(401)726-0335 10.9 9-12
Hawks soar to amazing heights!From computer science competitions to athletic championships, the bar is set HIGH at Hendricken. With hard work, and tremendous supports (set in an environment of "Can-Do" expectations) BHHS students, of all capacities and all cultural/socioeconomic backgrounds, transcend their personal and academic goals. Highly recommend this school for all the young men in your lives...
- Posted by Parent - Beth Cullen
I cannot say enough positive things about my son's experience at BHHS. We have watched him grow as a learner, a musician, and a young man of character and integrity. His interests were encouraged, guided and developed. His teachers are dedicated, strong in their content areas, and examples of what it means to live a life of purpose.We commute almost one hour each way and neither us as the drivers, nor him as the commuter, has regretted a day of it. I only wish there was an equivalent school for my daughters :(
- Posted by Parent - Jen
My son is a junior, and loves Bishop Hendricken. He is involved in both the great sports and the Arts Academy. The Hendricken Arts Academy is a very special thing to get involved with. The orchestra and chorus (2 of the many Arts offerings), brought my son to Disney to perform with his chorus and his orchestra (which is so fun that young women and young men from other schools participate). Last year his chorus sang during masses in cathedrals in an unforgettable trip around Ireland. The boys form such a supportive brotherhood through all their activities. The academics are very competitive, and the boys are constantly encouraged to strive to be their personal best in all aspects of their lives. We only regret that high school here is only 4 years-we will miss BHHS!
- Posted by Parent - BHHS Mom
I have been told by many people that my boys are 2 of the most polite young men they have ever met. They are challenged by the teachers and administrators to be the best men they can be, and it shows. The best academics, sports, and clubs in RI.
- Posted by Parent - MDCA
My son is a sophomore at BHHS and has had an excellent experience thus far. The all male environment allows them great focus on all the critical aspects of a boy's high school education - faith, academics, and extra curricular activities, whether that be their outstanding sports or theater/arts programs. My son is in all honors classes and has had excellent teachers that have always challenged, but have been available to provide extra help when needed. Our few small bumps along the way have been immediately addressed by his teachers and dedicated guidance counselor, and with his involvement. We couldn't be happier with the quality of the school, its administration and faculty - an outstanding Catholic education where they walk the walk.
- Posted by Parent - li.ki
After two years of being a Hendricken student, I can honestly say that it has been one of the most enjoyable experiences of my life. Every day I get to spend time with a great group of guys, learn from enthusiastic teachers, and compete with some of the best high school athletes in the state. Hendricken is the first school that has truly challenged me in order for me to be successful, which, in my opinion, has molded me into a much more responsible young adult. If you want your son to enjoy high school and to come out with multiple options for collegiate studies, this is the school for him.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - rcald