5.00 (1 review)
Tel: (319) 338-6061
- Willowwind offers an independent, progressive elementary school experience with a Montessori based preschool program for children ages 3 through 13.
- The school was founded in 1972 by a group of educators and parents to provide an innovative approach to education for the Iowa City community.
- Our mission is to develop in our students curiosity and creativity, self-esteem combined with social consciousness and self-discipline, mastery of academic skills and basic knowledge, and the ability to think and express oneself clearly and constructively.
- We believe that children learn best in an atmosphere that provides security, continuity, and high expectations.
- A low student-teacher ratio allows teachers to establish informed, caring relationships with students and to meet the specific educational and social needs of each child.
- Students generally have one main teacher over multiple years, allowing the teacher to understand each child intellectually and temperamentally.
- This close relationship is ideal for responding effectively to a child's work and encouraging constant growth.
- At Willowwind, children find the freedom to make mistakes and the courage to move beyond them to their fullest potential.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||State or regional independent school association|
Independent Schools Association of the Central States (ISACS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-6|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Through coordination with Grant Wood AEA.|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Total Students||134 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 14%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||11 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||12:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||14 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Sliding Scale K-6th grade tuition. Limited need based financial assistance may be available through separate application.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Rachel Butler|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||7 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Chess Club, Creative Movement, Lego League, Spanish
Arts and Music Programs:
Recreational Athletic Programs:
- Personalized, project based learning experiences
- Small class sizes in diverse, multi-age classrooms
- Immersion Spanish, interactive music, integrated art and whole-child based movement curriculum
- Community based classroom initiatives and service learning opportunities
- LEED-certified, environmentally conscious learning space with outdoor prairie science lab and garden
- New in 2013-2014: 1:1 Ipad technology integration within 5th-6th grade class
- Before and After School Program Extensions, Spring Break & Summer Programming
Nearby Private Schools
- The nearest high school, elementary school and preschool to Willowwind School is Regina Catholic Education Center (1.2 miles away)
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Iowa City Grades: PK-12 | 934 students
2150 Rochester Ave
Iowa City, IA 52245
(319) 338-5436 1.2 PK-12
- Iowa City Grades: PK-6 | 516 students
2120 Rochester Avenue
Iowa City, IA 52245
(319) 337-5739 1.2 PK-6
- Coralville Grades: K-8 | 31 students
1250 12th Avenue
Coralville, IA 52241
(319) 339-0998 5.3 K-8
- North Liberty Grades: PK-8 | 174 students
255 Hackberry St
North Liberty, IA 52317
(319) 626-4777 8 PK-8
My daughter has loved her Summer Program experiences at Willowwind over the last three years. The hands-on, project based approach provides a terrific extension to her interests (especially in art)! I appreciate the small, multi-age classrooms even over the summer; she has developed some great "summer" friendships in addition to her school year peers.
- Posted by Parent - amyc
Now that school has safely reopened, what can we parents do to support and encourage the schools we care about so much?
Sending your child to a single-sex school is one of several options you have when it comes to private schools.
This article aims to show you where to look for information about school reopening protocols, school reopening communications, schools that have closed, and schools with COVID-19 cases, among other COVID-19 related issues.