Academics and Faculty
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
- American School offers accredited courses in grades 6-12.
- Choose from full-year or full diploma programs, or take individual subjects for credit recovery or enrichment.
- American School is accredited by MSA-CESS, Ai and NCPSA, recognized by the state of Illinois, and has been a leader in distance education since 1897.
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Christopher Paolini - Chris has taken millions of readers into fabulous fantasy worlds in his novels Eragon, Eldest, Brisingr and Inheritance. Chris’ books regularly appear on top of the best seller lists, and Eragon was adapted into a full-length motion picture in 2006.
- Andre Agassi - Andre is one of greatest American tennis players of all-time. He is one of only five men to have won all four Grand Slam events-the Australian Open, the French Open, Wimbledon and the U.S. Open. His 60 tournament titles include eight Grand Slam triumphs in all, and in 1996 he added an Olympic gold medal to his trophy case.
- Sho Yano - Sho earned his high school diploma from American School at age 9. Three years later, he earned a bachelor’s degree from Loyola University in Chicago and enrolled in a dual Ph.D. and M.D. medical scientist program. In 2009, at age 18, he earned a Ph.D. in molecular genetics and cell biology from the University of Chicago. In 2012, at age 21, he became the youngest person to receive an M.D. degree from the University of Chicago. He is currently a resident in pediatric neurology.
- The Osmond Family - Donny and Marie Osmond teamed up for hit television shows in the 1970s and 1990s in between crafting successful careers as solo performers. Donny hit #1 in the 1970s with “Go Away Little Girl” and has had numerous top 10 records in the decades following. He reinvented himself in the 1990s and began a six-year run in the title role of “Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat” that played to sold out theaters across the United States and Canada. More recently, he was runner-up in the first season of “The Masked Singer”. Marie became the first female country artist to debut with a #1 record when “Paper Roses” reached the summit in 1973. That song helped her earn a gold record and Grammy nomination the following year. More recently, she has appeared in many television movies, starred on Broadway in “The King and I” and was co-host of “The Talk”. In their five-decade career, the Osmond Brothers have sold out more shows than the Beatles and Elvis Presley. Pop, rock and country hits-including the chart-topper “One Bad Apple”-have helped Allan, Wayne, Merrill, Jay and Jimmy garner several gold and platinum records and a People’s Choice Award.
- Bethany Hamilton - Bethany is one of the top surfers in the world despite losing her left arm in a shark attack in 2003. Her autobiography Soul Surfer was adapted into a motion picture in 2011, and she and her husband appeared on CBS’s The Amazing Race in Fall 2014.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who are famous alumni from American School?
What is American School's ranking?
When is the application deadline for American School?
Endorse American School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards