Arthur Morgan School
Academics and Faculty
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
Spanish, Student Government
Arts and Music Programs:
Blacksmithing, Fiber Arts, Fine Arts, Music, Photography, Pottery, Printmaking, Theater Program, Voice
- The program at AMS is specially designed to fit the needs and interests of teenagers. Small academic classes provide close attention to the needs of individual students while a wide range of electives emphasize self-expression and hands-onlearning. Based on Montessori principles and Quaker values of simple living, AMS puts great emphasis on teaching practical skills through both daily chores and periodic work projects in the wider community. Located at the foot of the Black Mountains, the 100 acre campus consists mainly of woods and meadows and is largely surrounded by National Forest. This is one of the school's greatest resources and provides students with oppotunities for a wide range of outdoor activities including backpacking, rock climbing, canoeing, and cycling.
- Outdoor trips in the fall and spring are supplemented by periodic day hikes and overnights. Through these trips students face challenges and experience successes that are not found in the classroom. In addition to these wilderness trips, service learning field trips are planned each year. These three week trips are planned around themes such as civil rights, U.S. government and politics, and hunger and homelessness. Students and staff organize the trips and travel in small groups to explore some of these difficult topics while providing volunteer service work.The central aim of the school is to help each student grow into a confident and responsible young person. Instead of learning to compete, students learn to cooperate, care for themselves, their world and each other.
Endorse Arthur Morgan School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards