Arthur Morgan School
Arthur Morgan School Photo #7 - In weaving class student studied the history of textiles and human cultures and learned to weave.
Arthur Morgan School Photo #8 - Each day one student helps with the lunch meal preparation. During several units students can take a kitchen internship. In these internships students assist with meal preparation, research food ingredients, harvest food from the garden, grind their own grain, and explore ethnic and historical recipes.
- Arthur Morgan School is an innovative boarding and day school for 27 boys and girls in grades 7-9.
- Students and staff learn together by living together,sharing work, play, study and decision making.
- AMS is an energetic community dedicated to supporting individuality while teaching harmony with others.
|School Type||Montessori School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Friends Council on Education (FCE)|
|Grades Offered||Grades 7-9|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Dyslexia|
|Total Students||27 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 16%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||12 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||2:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||9 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$27,996|
|Tuition Notes||$27,996 Boarding Tuition $13,517 Day Tuition|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$7,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Endowment Size||$1 million|
|Total Sports Offered||13 sports|
|Sports||Ballet, Basketball, Climbing, Cross Country, Cycling, Dance, Intramural Sports Only, Mountain Biking, Rock Climbing, Soccer, Softball, Ultimate Frisbee, WrestlingBallet, Basketball,|
Climbing, Cross Country,
Intramural Sports Only, Mountain Biking,
Rock Climbing, Soccer,
Softball, Ultimate Frisbee,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||11 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Spanish, Student Government
Arts and Music Programs:
Blacksmithing, Fiber Arts, Fine Arts, Music, Photography, Pottery, Printmaking, Theater Program, Voice
- The program at AMS is specially designed to fit the needs and interests of teenagers. Small academic classes provide close attention to the needs of individual students while a wide range of electives emphasize self-expression and hands-onlearning. Based on Montessori principles and Quaker values of simple living, AMS puts great emphasis on teaching practical skills through both daily chores and periodic work projects in the wider community. Located at the foot of the Black Mountains, the 100 acre campus consists mainly of woods and meadows and is largely surrounded by National Forest. This is one of the school's greatest resources and provides students with oppotunities for a wide range of outdoor activities including backpacking, rock climbing, canoeing, and cycling.
- Outdoor trips in the fall and spring are supplemented by periodic day hikes and overnights. Through these trips students face challenges and experience successes that are not found in the classroom. In addition to these wilderness trips, service learning field trips are planned each year. These three week trips are planned around themes such as civil rights, U.S. government and politics, and hunger and homelessness. Students and staff organize the trips and travel in small groups to explore some of these difficult topics while providing volunteer service work.The central aim of the school is to help each student grow into a confident and responsible young person. Instead of learning to compete, students learn to cooperate, care for themselves, their world and each other.
Profile last updated:
Nearby Private Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Spruce Pine Grades: K-12 | 29 students
207 Pinebridge Ave
Spruce Pine, NC 28777
(828)765-2969 6.9 K-12
- Burnsville Grades: PK-5 | 47 students
1867 E Us Highway 19e
Burnsville, NC 28714 7.5 PK-5
- Burnsville Grades: K-10 | 35 students
694 Tine Swamp Rd
Burnsville, NC 28714
(828)682-5034 9.3 K-10
- Spruce Pine Grades: PK | 78 students
67 Walnut Ave
Spruce Pine, NC 28777
(828)765-7779 9.4 PK
- Spruce Pine Grades: 1-11 | 11 students
50 Altapass Trl
Spruce Pine, NC 28777
(828)765-0660 10.6 1-11
Teaching gifted children requires deft handling. These children need intellectual and sensory stimulation. But they also need guidance and careful nurturing so that they grow up handling their special gifts and themselves appropriately.
Strategic planning is a disciplined effort to produce fundamental decisions and actions that shape and guide what an organization is, what it does, and why it does it, with a focus on the future.
Getting your child into a competitive school is a tough assignment. Don't let the many challenges overwhelm you. There is a simple solution.