- Arthur Morgan School in the Asheville Laurel - 01/01/2018According to Sadie Kneidel, "the Montessori philosophy is that at middle-school age the brain is recalculating." Kneidel is co-clerk and houseparent at Arthur Morgan School (AMS), a nonprofit boarding and day school in the Celo community near Burnsville.Given that premise and the fact that traditional middle schools can be difficult for some students, AMS seeks a different approach to learning, one that harks back to its founding in 1962 by Elizabeth and Ernest Morgan. Theories of educators like Maria Montessori combine with Quaker values such as simple living and consensual decision making. The result is a progressive farm school where up to 27 students-in grades seven, eight and nine-live, work, create and learn together.
- Ernest Morgan discusses the Arthur Morgan School - 08/10/1965Interview with Ernest Morgan about the Arthur Morgan School in Burnesville, NC that was founded by family. They discuss the teaching and learning ideology for the students (aged 12-16) who attend the school. Ernest describes the curriculum that includes outdoor learning in Black Mountain where the school is located. Includes a piece from an interview with Alexander Sutherland Neill about student and school adjustment. Ernest Morgan quotes Martin Luther King on maladjustment.
Academics and Faculty
no dress code.
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
Arts and Music Programs:
Blacksmithing, Fiber Arts, Fine Arts, Morning Sing, Music, Photography, Pottery, Printmaking, Theater Production, Theater Program, Voice
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Backpacking, Soccer, Ultimate Frisbee
- The program at AMS is specially designed to fit the needs and interests of teenagers. Small academic classes provide close attention to the needs of individual students while a wide range of electives emphasize self-expression and hands-onlearning. Based on Montessori principles and Quaker values of simple living, AMS puts great emphasis on teaching practical skills through both daily chores and periodic work projects in the wider community. Located at the foot of the Black Mountains, the 100 acre campus consists mainly of woods and meadows and is largely surrounded by National Forest. This is one of the school's greatest resources and provides students with oppotunities for a wide range of outdoor activities including backpacking, rock climbing, canoeing, and cycling.
- Outdoor trips in the fall and spring are supplemented by periodic day hikes and overnights. Through these trips students face challenges and experience successes that are not found in the classroom. In addition to these wilderness trips, service learning field trips are planned each year. These three week trips are planned around themes such as civil rights, U.S. government and politics, and hunger and homelessness. Students and staff organize the trips and travel in small groups to explore some of these difficult topics while providing volunteer service work.The central aim of the school is to help each student grow into a confident and responsible young person. Instead of learning to compete, students learn to cooperate, care for themselves, their world and each other.
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Indigo De Souza - https://www.newyorker.com/goings-on-about-town/night-life/indigo-de-souza
- Chip Thomas - https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/17/arts/design/native-american-enslavement-colorado-exhibition.html/?unlocked_article_code=AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACEIPuonUktbfqohlSlUaBCbcR8Q86RGLnvnAxvs6j2P_MiXQQDNP1eUeCo7F9kHWYaN9at4-2SjeT9hFN6UmSPs3w_9fPkZsVwivpN2EhJEBaW0TmL6EY1kXjdjLTKxqtnjjdHW4I-Nyg-Lu5h6PYWXpRKDe1XQ-IFozo49vd1v7xXMOx_zAEOQj3oZ53-wzRcwvHUd2byaKv_DiDx50KY_GOkmasl9qLrkfDTLDntec66YDcxFRDz_FSnB94WU66bBMKY9dffa_f1N7Jp2I0fhGAXdoLYyqG5UxW4LX8r1vurfOohGOo9GkwmXYR0hDb387S2EmBGHCdQ
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does Arthur Morgan School cost?
What schools are Arthur Morgan School often compared to?
What is the acceptance rate of Arthur Morgan School?
Who are famous alumni from Arthur Morgan School?
What sports does Arthur Morgan School offer?
What is Arthur Morgan School's ranking?
When is the application deadline for Arthur Morgan School?
Endorse Arthur Morgan School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards