- Brixham Montessori Friends School is a small independent private school in York.
- A dynamic and vibrant school community, the BMFS staff is proud to partner with parents and students to establish an exceptional Montessori school of the highest standards.
- Each classroom has an average student to teacher ratio of 7:1 and a complete program of study, including core subjects in language, math, sensorial and everyday living, as well as the arts and sciences.
- Specials in Spanish, Fitness and Health, Music, Drama and Studio Art complete the study at the elementary levels.
- Central to the philosophy of Montessori education is the belief that every child is driven by his or her own desires to learn, and that within a carefully structured and prepared environment, the child will fulfill his or her needs in their entirety.
- "Follow the child" and "freedom with responsibilities" are two Montessori principles that Brixham deeply honors and respects.
|School Type||Montessori School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||American Montessori Society (AMS)|
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-5|
|Total Students||111 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 10%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||15 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||14 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 15 / rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition range from $4,839 to $10,539 depending on the program or grade levels|
|% on Financial Aid||
National avg.: 85%
BMFS embraced our 7 year old son into their lower elementary program when his former Montessori school unexpectedly closed due to financial reasons. While he struggled to make the transition to a new school, new teachers, new friends (and a new home as we had also just moved), his teachers stuck by him and worked diligently (and we're certain very hard on many days) to help him gain his footing and find his place, not just academically but socially as well. By the end of the school year, he was once again our happy kid and experiencing excellent days at school. The head of the school is extremely kind and caring, and truly puts the best interest of the child first. And while all the lower el teachers are wonderful, our son's head teacher never gave up trying to figure out son out and what would help him succeed the most - and he was always supportive and willing to work with us in partnership on any struggles our son was having at the time. Having teachers and a school that cares about your child as much as you do as a parent is a rare and true gift. BMFS gave us that gift and we are forever grateful.
- Posted by Parent - alici
May 26, 2017
When you apply for a position at a private school, you need to use a slightly different approach than you would use if you were applying for a sales job somewhere.
May 25, 2017
The admissions essay is an important part of your child's admissions profile. Noodle Pros essay expert Kate Fisher offers some valuable tips about writing the admissions essay.
May 25, 2017
Myths, urban legends and just plain misinformation abound concerning private schools. We shed some light on the facts you may not have known.