Carmel Academy is a religiously diverse K-8 Jewish Day School committed to innovation and excellence in general and Judaic studies.
It is located in Greenwich, Connecticut. Our school draws students from all major branches of Judaism and embraces the values of mutual respect and Klal Israel, the unity of the Jewish people. Each child is cherished as an individual and encouraged to achieve his or her personal best.
The curriculum is designed to foster creative development and critical thinking skills.
Carmel Academy is a community as well as a school, dedicated to supporting and enriching the lives of our students, families and staff.
Quick Stats (2023)
- School Type: School with Special Program Emphasis
- Grades: Nursery/Preschool-8
- Enrollment: 217 students
- Application Deadline: None / Rolling
- Source: Verified school update
School Membership(s)School Assoc.
Learning Difference Programs
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 29%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
None / Rolling
Total Sports Offered
- Carmel Academy is a forward-thinking private school for children of all Jewish affiliations, offering each of its students an exceptional, challenging and creative educational experience from kindergarten through eighth grade. Accredited with distinction by the Connecticut Association of Independent Schools, Carmel Academy's multi-disciplinary educational approach encourages its students to make connections between the classroom and the world. Experienced, passionate master teachers bring the school's educational philosophy to life, instilling creativity, critical thinking and a joy of learning in each student. With the benefits of a low student-teacher ratio and a dynamic, differentiated learning environment, students master the knowledge essential to continue on to the finest secondary schools, as well as to think critically and in a broader scope. The school's expert educational leadership designed Carmel Academy's dual curriculum from the ground up - incorporating only the highest in national standards - to integrate general and Judaic knowledge throughout the day. Set on a beautiful, historic 17-acre campus in Greenwich, CT, Carmel Academy is equipped with the infrastructure and technology to make it an unrivaled 21st century educational institution. The school offers state-of-the-art laboratory and computer resources, as well as award winning enrichment programs to foster excellence in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM). Children enjoy a wide-array of extracurricular activities and interscholastic team sports. As part of Carmel Academy's commitment to providing a meaningful Jewish day school experience for all children, the school offers a special education program for children with language-based learning disabilities. PALS (Providing Alternative Learning Strategies) gives children with special needs the tools to maximize their academic potential, while at the same time affording them the myriad benefits of a Jewish education. Carmel Academy provides an excellent foundation for long-term academic success, while fostering a deep love and connection to a common Jewish identity through history and culture, prayer and text, Zionism and Hebrew as a modern, living language.
Source: Verified school update
Frequently Asked Questions
What sports does Carmel Academy offer?
Carmel Academy offers 6 interscholastic sports: Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Soccer, Softball and Tennis.
When is the application deadline for Carmel Academy?
The application deadline for Carmel Academy is rolling (applications are reviewed as they are received year-round).
Endorse Carmel Academy. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
Children With Learning Differences: How To Proceed
Facing the reality that your child has learning differences is never easy. But with a diagnosis from a qualified professional, and skilled experienced teachers who know how to remediate those differences, your child can learn to handle her differences. More here.
Enrichment Resources For Children Ages 10-14
I asked ChatGPT to list apps, YouTube Channels, and podcasts suitable for enriching the studies of students ages 10-14. (We'll look at resources for younger and older students in another article.)
February 13, 2023Designing Assignments In The ChatGPT Era
AI (Artificial Intelligence), specifically ChatGPT, poses some serious challenges for teachers. We explore the importance of teaching students how to attribute the work and ideas of others.