Carolina Day School
In the classroom, on the athletic fields and within our special community of families, Carolina Day School fully engages your smart, curious child.
With a passion for learning and teaching, nationally trained in top developmental research and brain-based instruction, our exceptional faculty radiates an inspirational blend of compassion and high standards.
It's simple: bright, bold, curious, well-trained teachers and coaches lead by example and bring out the best in your child.
We are Asheville's only co-ed, independent day school for grades PreK12, and our Key School is a national leader in transforming students with language-based learning differences into high achievers and confident, capable learners.
Discover what lies in store for your child at Carolina Day School in Asheville, North Carolina.
- Top Ranked NC School
- Grades: Prekindergarten-12
- Students: 639 students
- Yearly Tuition: $26,950
- Average class size: 15 students
- Application Deadline: Nov. 15 / Feb. 1 / rolling
School Membership(s)School Assoc.
Learning Difference Programs
Learning Programs Supported
Language-Based - Dyslexia
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 20%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
Average Class Size
Number of AP Courses
List of Courses Offered
AP Art History (two sections), AP Biology, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP English Language, AP English Literature, AP European History (two sections), AP French, AP Physics, AP Psychology, AP Spanish, AP Statistics, AP US History (four sections), Honors American Literature (semester course), Honors Competitive Speech and Debate (semester or year course), Honors French 4, Honors Journalism, Honors Macroeconomics (semester course), Honors Math 3, Honors Microeconomics (semester course), Honors Philosophy (semester course), Honors Pre-Calculus, Honors Spanish 4, Honors Studio Art
Matriculation DataMatric. Data
Classroom Dress Code
(Standard Code of Dress)
(Standard Code of Dress)
Finances and Admission
Nov. 15 / Feb. 1 / rolling
Yearly Tuition Cost
As parents, we have both the pleasure and the primary responsibility for finding the best educational experience for our children. Carolina Day School offers tuition assistance to help qualified families meet this responsibility.
% on Financial Aid
Total Sports Offered
- Our Vision of Education
- Carolina Day School is a leader in educational innovation and a model of excellence for western North Carolina and beyond. Our creative and reflective educators craft a cohesive curriculum in a supportive environment where inquiry, discovery, and learning can take place.
- Inquiry-based Learning
- Building and giving meaning to strong foundational skills is essential and is just the starting point at Carolina Day. Students actively engage in real-world problem solving, project-based learning, service learning, and design thinking projects and activities, which allow them to practice, apply, build, and transfer these important skills in meaningful ways. Our students benefit tremendously from our special blend of teaching methods, curriculum, community, and culture. The CDS faculty practice their craft as artisans of the classroom, mixing their professional experience with research and wisdom to teach each child. There is a shared expectation between students and teachers that everyone will push themselves in many ways to stretch and grow - intellectually, socially, emotionally - and teachers will provide the support necessary to help students face challenges head-on and learn to persevere with confidence. The craft of teaching takes grit, resolve, creativity, patience, and problem-solving. It`s an ever-evolving process of combining the best ingredients for the most successful outcomes. Our families tell us that they value their investment in a Carolina Day education because of our unique combination of highly qualified teachers, innovative curriculum, and our compassionate, friendly community. Simply put, Carolina Day children, adolescents, and young adults alike enjoy coming to school; they think hard, play hard, and celebrate their group successes and personal bests with gusto. Creating a community of well-rounded, engaged, and happy students is our vision and our passion.
The athletics at Carolina Day are very disappointing. The middle school boys' basketball team has 25 boys on the roster. It is mid-December and several of the boys are now being shuffled to a YMCA platform. The JV girls' basketball team, which has several seniors on it, is losing by scores of 85-17. They limit middle school offerings; they do not offer tennis for middle school, and the soccer team did not have enough kids to form a team. My child is lost in the shuffle. A school that is charging college tuition prices should provide a well-rounded experience, which should include competitive academics and athletics.
Endorse Carolina Day School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
What A Teacher Does
A teacher wears many hats. Here's a look at her duties and responsibilities.
How Diverse Are Private Schools?
Decades ago private schools could have been accused of being elitist. You had to have money to attend. The student populations were fairly homogeneous. Fortunately that has changed.
Private School Job Searching 101
Here is a guide for teachers and administrators seeking employment in private schools. Think of it as a roadmap for the job search process.