Carolina Day School
- In the classroom, on the athletic fields and within our special community of families, Carolina Day School fully engages your smart, curious child.
- With a passion for learning and teaching, nationally trained in top developmental research and brain-based instruction, our exceptional faculty radiates an inspirational blend of compassion and high standards.
- It's simple: bright, bold, curious, well-trained teachers and coaches lead by example and bring out the best in your child.
- We are Asheville's only co-ed, independent day school for grades PreK12, and our Key School is a national leader in transforming students with language-based learning differences into high achievers and confident, capable learners.
- Discover what lies in store for your child at Carolina Day School in Asheville, North Carolina.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Southern Association Of Colleges And Schools (SACS)
Southern Association of Independent Schools
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Language-Based - Dyslexia|
|Total Students||639 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||80 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||15 students|
|Number of AP Courses||13 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Art History (two sections), AP Biology, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP English Language, AP English Literature, AP European History (two sections), AP French, AP Physics, AP Psychology, AP Spanish, AP Statistics, AP US History (four sections), Honors American Literature (semester course), Honors Competitive Speech and Debate (semester or year course), Honors French 4, Honors Journalism, Honors Macroeconomics (semester course), Honors Math 3, Honors Microeconomics (semester course), Honors Philosophy (semester course), Honors Pre-Calculus, Honors Spanish 4, Honors Studio Art,|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Standard Code of Dress)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Nov. 15 / Feb. 1 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$26,950|
|Tuition Notes||As parents, we have both the pleasure and the primary responsibility for finding the best educational experience for our children. Carolina Day School offers tuition assistance to help qualified families meet this responsibility.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Trip Cogburn|
|Admissions Associate||Michelle Nailen|
|Total Sports Offered||11 sports|
|Sports||Archery, Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Golf, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, VolleyballArchery, Baseball,|
Basketball, Cross Country,
Field Hockey, Golf,
Tennis, Track and Field,
- Our Vision of Education
- Carolina Day School is a leader in educational innovation and a model of excellence for western North Carolina and beyond. Our creative and reflective educators craft a cohesive curriculum in a supportive environment where inquiry, discovery, and learning can take place.
- Inquiry-based Learning
- Building and giving meaning to strong foundational skills is essential and is just the starting point at Carolina Day. Students actively engage in real-world problem solving, project-based learning, service learning, and design thinking projects and activities, which allow them to practice, apply, build, and transfer these important skills in meaningful ways. Our students benefit tremendously from our special blend of teaching methods, curriculum, community, and culture. The CDS faculty practice their craft as artisans of the classroom, mixing their professional experience with research and wisdom to teach each child. There is a shared expectation between students and teachers that everyone will push themselves in many ways to stretch and grow - intellectually, socially, emotionally - and teachers will provide the support necessary to help students face challenges head-on and learn to persevere with confidence. The craft of teaching takes grit, resolve, creativity, patience, and problem-solving. It`s an ever-evolving process of combining the best ingredients for the most successful outcomes. Our families tell us that they value their investment in a Carolina Day education because of our unique combination of highly qualified teachers, innovative curriculum, and our compassionate, friendly community. Simply put, Carolina Day children, adolescents, and young adults alike enjoy coming to school; they think hard, play hard, and celebrate their group successes and personal bests with gusto. Creating a community of well-rounded, engaged, and happy students is our vision and our passion.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Asheville Grades: 9-12 | 295 students
360 Asheville School Road
Asheville, NC 28806
(828)254-6345 5.9 9-12
- Durham Grades: PK-12 | 1229 students
3501 Ridge Road
Durham, NC 27705
(919)493-5787 202.1 PK-12
Scholarships for private school students are rather limited. Most support students in their area. Here are some organizations which offer funding.
Identifying or evaluating private schools is the second part of the private school search process. This hub aggregates more than twenty-five articles that deal with this topic with the hope that they will help you search for the right private school for your child.
Choosing a private school is a process with many parts to it. It also takes 18-24 months to complete. This collection of articles deals with the first part of the process in which you begin to look at private schools and what they offer.