Children's Institute For Learning Differences (CHILD)
Tel: (425) 336-3260
CHILD is a three-component 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizationthatprovides therapeutic day-school services, pediatricclinicaltherapy services for students and private clients (ages 3 -18),and support and training for parents and professionals.
|School Type||Special Education School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Other school association(s)|
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Sensory processing, Autism, language, developmental delays, cognitive, emotional, social, behavioral, attention|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||44 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 24%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||7 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||8 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||We work with students placed by parents or in partnership with 25 school districts in the Puget Sound region.|
- CHILDis a regional specialty school for children withemotional,social and behavioral challenges. Founded in1977,we havesuccessfully educated children with a range of conditionsthatinterfere with learning including: Sensory ProcessingDisorders,Behavioral difficulties, Inability to self-regulate,Anxiety,Impulsivity, Disorganization, Communication deficits andInflexiblethinking.
- Since 1980, CHILD has been approved by the WashingtonStateOffice of Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI) toprovidecontracted therapeutic services to students from publicschooldistricts whose resources cannot adequately serve them.
- CHILD serves approximately 60-75 full-time studentsplacedbyparents or in partnershipwith up to 25 schooldistricts that live inKing, Pierce, Snohomish and Kitsap countiesand commute daily to ourcampus. All ofthestudents who attend CHILD receive SpecialEducation Services.
- In addition to academics and integrated therapeuticsupports,CHILDspecializes in teaching self-regulation,socialemotional learning skills and coping tools to children withspecialneeds. Small class size and very low student to teacherratioensures focused instruction. Classroom lessons andintegratedmental health supports are customized based oneachchild'sstrengths and challenges. Individualized instruction buildslaggingskills to work through challenging behavior, sostudentscanlearn, grow and succeed.
- Why Choose CHILD? Using an empathy-based approach werepairtrust, boost self-esteem and practice skills. Wehelpstudentsgrow beyond the struggles that block their readinessforlearning and to connect with their world.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Seattle Grades: 1-9 | 90 students
901 Lenora Street
Seattle, WA 98121
(206) 709-9500 12.8 1-9
- Edmonds Grades: PK | 12 students
1215 Olympic Ave
Edmonds, WA 98020
(425) 431-7374 26.2 PK
- Seattle Grades: 6-12
9750 3rd Avenue NE, Suite 102
Seattle, WA 98115
(206) 284-2300 17.7 6-12
- Seattle Grades: K-12 | 100 students
5031 University Way Ne
Seattle, WA 98105
(206) 427-0115 12 K-12
A search for a teaching job in the midst of a severe recession takes much longer than it does in good economic times. Here's how to handle this situation.
Marketing yourself in tough times requires attention to details. Here are some tips to help you achieve success.
You cannot rank private schools. We explain why.