Children's Institute For Learning Differences (CHILD)
- School Type: Special Education School
- Grades: Kindergarten-12
- Students: 44 students
- Average class size: 8 students
- Application Deadline: None / Rolling
School Membership(s)School Assoc.
Learning Difference Programs
Learning Programs Supported
Sensory processing, Autism, language, developmental delays, cognitive, emotional, social, behavioral, attention
Summer School Offered
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 28%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
Average Class Size
Classroom Dress Code
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
None / Rolling
We work with students placed by parents or in partnership with 25 school districts in the Puget Sound region.
- CHILD is a regional specialty school for children with emotional, social and behavioral challenges.
- Founded in 1977, we have successfully educated children with a range of conditions that interfere with learning including: Sensory Processing Disorders, Behavioral difficulties, Inability to self-regulate, Anxiety, Impulsivity, Disorganization, Communication deficits, and Inflexible thinking.
- Since 1980, CHILD has been approved by the Washington State Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI) to provide contracted therapeutic services to students from public school districts whose resources cannot adequately serve them.
- CHILD serves approximately 60-75 full-time students, placed in partnership with up to 32 school districts, that live in King, Pierce, Snohomish and Kitsap counties and commute daily to our campus.
- All of the students who attend CHILD receive Special Education Services.
- In addition to academics and integrated therapeutic supports, CHILD specializes in teaching self-regulation, social, emotional learning skills and coping tools to children with special needs.
- Small class size and very low student to teacher ratio ensures focused instruction.
- Classroom lessons and integrated mental health supports are customized based on each child's strengths and challenges.
- Individualized instruction builds lagging skills to work through challenging behavior, so students can learn, grow and succeed.
- Why Choose CHILD? Using an empathy-based approach we repair trust, boost self-esteem and practice skills. We help students grow beyond the struggles that block their readiness for learning and to connect with their world.
Profile last updated:
Endorse Children's Institute For Learning Differences (CHILD). Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
Understanding Private School Tuition
We look at why tuition costs vary so widely from school to school.
Books About Private School
What's private school really like? Find out from people who have been there.
You Won't Find....
You won't find several things in private schools which you will find in public schools.