Christchurch School Photo #2 - "Set your course at the river." Established in the Episcopal tradition, Christchurch is inclusive, welcoming students and families of all faiths and backgrounds.
Christchurch School Photo #3 - A 125-acre waterfront campus on the Rappahannock River in the Chesapeake Bay watershed allows Christchurch School to offer an educational experience and a lifestyle found at no other school in the United States. The academic schedule is similar to a college schedule, with classes beginning at 9 a.m.
Christchurch School Photo #4 - Christchurch's innovative "Great Journeys" curriculum takes full advantage of the school's riverfront location. The river and historic Tidewater area serve as a living classroom where students participate in hands-on learning that is not duplicated by any other school. Applying the skills they learn to solve problems at the river prepares students to solve problems in the larger world.
Christchurch School Photo #5 - Sports are an integral part of the Christchurch experience. Every student has an opportunity to play, from aspiring college athletes to those who just want to hit the field for fun.
Christchurch School Photo #6 - An excellent education isn't limited to academics. Christchurch's co-curricular activities support and complement the academic program, while creating balance for students by encouraging them to develop interests outside of schoolwork.
Christchurch School Photo #7 - In addition to rigorous course material, students learn to collaborate, problem solve, and use evolving technology as a creative tool. Students develop the critical thinking skills that prepare them for college courses and careers, including those that don't yet exist. In a world that is rapidly changing, Christchurch School teaches students how to navigate those changes with confidence.
Christchurch School Photo #8 - Approximately 25% of Christchurch students benefit from the Learning Skills Program, the first program of its kind at a Virginia boarding school. Trained faculty offer specific learning and organizational strategies, in addition to study skills that prepare these students for academic success, often at a level they did not imagine possible.
Christchurch School Photo #9 - Christchurch residence halls are a welcoming home away from home, a place where friends live, study, and relax together. Students gain new sense of independence living away from mom and dad, but can rest assured that dorm parents will be available 24/7 to help with everything from coping with homesickness to how to do laundry.
- Our campus will be open this fall! We are also offering an online learning program for students not able to make it to campus - https://www.christchurchschool.org/online-learningLOCATED ON THE SCENIC RAPPAHANNOCK RIVER, an hour east of Richmond, Virginia.
- Christchurch School is an Episcopal boarding and day school for students in grades 9-12.
- Our average enrollment is 200, with 70% boarding and 30% day.
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Mild Learning Differences|
|Total Students||210 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 26%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||33 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||English 11 Honors, English 12 Honors, English 9 Honors, History 9 Honors, Honors Calculus AB, Honors College Biology, Honors College Environmental Science, Honors History Seminar, Honors Integrated Science III: Physics, Chemistry and Biology, Honors Modern World History, Honors Spanish V, Honors United States History and Government, Integrated Science 9 Honors|
|Average SAT score||1130|
|Average ACT score||21|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Casual, neat; collared shirt, khaki style pants/shorts)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$43,900|
|Tuition Notes||$18,700 day boys/girls; $43,900 boarding boys|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$27,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Billy Burlee|
|Admissions Associate||Aaron Alter|
|Total Sports Offered||8 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Lacrosse, Sailing, Soccer, VolleyballBaseball, Basketball,|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||13 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Adventure Trips, Chess Club, Drama, Living Campus, National Honor Society, River Immersion, Student Ambassadors, Student Community Council, Sustainability Club, Yearbook|
Club or Organization:
Arts and Music Programs:
Visual and Performing Arts
- CHRISTCHURCH IS THE PLACE for students who aren't challenged by or satisfied with a one-size-fits-all education, and families who believe that learning should mean more than just taking a test.
- CHRISTCHURCH PROVIDES A CHALLENGING, YET NURTURING ENVIRONMENT in which students are encouraged to explore their current interests and their future potential.Christchurch helps students clarify what they want and where they want to go, and then helps them develop the skills and formulate the plan that will get them there.
- STUDENTS DISCOVER SKILLS, APTITUDES, AND TALENTS they didn't know they had.They come to realize and understand their own intrinisic value, and the tremendous value they bring to their school, to the community, and to the world.
- THE ULTIMATE PAYOFF from a Christchurch education is more than just earning a diploma or being accepted into the right college.CHRISTCHURCH SCHOOL IS THE PLACE and the experience where your best possible future begins.Set YOUR course at the river.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Charlottesville Grades: 8-12 | 169 students
1000 Samuel Miller Loop
Charlottesville, VA 22903
(434)823-4805 120.8 8-12
- Hampton Grades: PK-12 | 432 students
2419 N Armistead Ave
Hampton, VA 23666
(757)838-7427 41.8 PK-12
- Henrico Grades: 9-12 | 248 students
12829 River Road
Henrico, VA 23238
(804)708-9500 61.7 9-12
The Seattle area is home to many fine private schools as well as to major companies such as Microsoft, Boeing and Starbucks.
Religion is important to you. You want your children to be educated in a school where your religion matters.
The COVID-19 has turned our lives upside down. Sending your children back to school raises all sorts of concerns for their safety and education. We answer some of your questions here.