De Paul School For Hearing & Speech
5.00 (1 review)
Tel: (412) 924-1012
- Founded in 1908 by the Diocese of Pittsburgh and the Sisters of Charity of Seton Hill, DePaul School for Hearing and Speech has been providing quality auditory oral education for children who are deaf or hard of hearing for nearly 100 years We believe that children who are deaf and hard of hearing have the potential to develop listening and spoken language skills as the foundation for lifelong literacy and intellectual growth.
- Following the values and traditions of our founders, the mission of DePaul School for Hearing and Speech is to teach each child who is deaf or hard of hearing to listen, speak, and learn.
- Our children enter the educational mainstream with the foundation to succeed.
- DePaul School for Hearing and Speech is one of only 46 schools worldwide, and the only one in western Pennsylvania, using the auditory/oral method of teaching.
- Auditory/oral education teaches children with hearing loss to listen and talk.
- The goal is to give children the necessary spoken language skills to be successful in the mainstream of education and function independently in the hearing world.
|School Type||Special Education School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Other school association(s)|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-7|
|Total Students||42 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 23%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||11 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||4:1|
National avg.: 13:1
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
Nearby Private Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Pittsburgh Grades: PK-8 | 422 students
325 Emerson St
Pittsburgh, PA 15206
(412) 441-1582 0 PK-8
- Pittsburgh Grades: 9-12 | 33 students
5711 Howe St
Pittsburgh, PA 15232
(412) 361-7182 0.5 9-12
- Pittsburgh Grades: K-8 | 75 students
5701 Fifth Ave
Pittsburgh, PA 15232
(412) 361-5332 0.6 K-8
Saw first hand what can be achieved through DePaul !!! Highly recommend this school.
- Posted by Teacher - Tracy
Now that school has safely reopened, what can we parents do to support and encourage the schools we care about so much?
Sending your child to a single-sex school is one of several options you have when it comes to private schools.
This article aims to show you where to look for information about school reopening protocols, school reopening communications, schools that have closed, and schools with COVID-19 cases, among other COVID-19 related issues.